Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 - i7 930 - Can't get all 12GB up to 1600MHz, only 1333MHz

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 - i7 930 - Can't get all 12GB up to 1600MHz, only 1333MHz

Wow, what camera is that? Nice huge high res images!

Thanks for the pics, socket pins all look perfect as you said. So it is either the kit, settings, or possibly heatsink mounting pressure

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 - i7 930 - Can't get all 12GB up to 1600MHz, only 1333MHz

Cool well in a few days we should know more, if you have similar issues with the new kit then it is probably just your settings is all.

I'll help you with those once you get things going again.

Thanks for the help.

The camera is a Canon 5D Mark II. 21 megapixels and the images are truly phenomenal from that camera...

Is it possible that even without bent pins, the CPU is not making complete contact with all the pins? Can the heat sink somehow cause pins in the CPU socket to not make contact? The way the socket is designed, I don't see how. But I do have a Noctua NH-D14 which is HUGE but designed very well and seems really solid and evenly attached to the motherboard. Have you ever heard of this? Maybe I should try the stock CPU cooler since I am not overclocking...

-Darin

I expected large when you said the size, but damn they look nice!

Well yes, sometimes you need to reseat the CPU a few times to get full contact, but the movement within the socket it millimeters and you get full 12GB at slower speeds so I don't think that is it.

What can happen is uneven heatsink mounting pressure causing one corner of the CPU to not make full contact, but this will exhibit less than xxGB always no matter the speeds.

So I am really thinking it was just your kit was faulty or not properly matched, or settings were just off. You could give the stock cooler a shot if you still have the other memory, but I think you will likely see the same.

I received my new RAM today, Corsair HX3X12G1600C9, a 6x2GB DDR3 1600 MATCHED set.

I guess people were right about getting a matched set.

I installed the 6 sticks and at least all 12GB was recognized right away at 1600.

I did have to adjust the timings and voltages to get all 12GB to boot Windows and run Prime95. I have been running Prime95 for 3 hours so far.

Here's the changes I had to make:

DRAM Voltage = 1.68v
    Timings = 9-9-9-24-2T (The RAM is rated at 8-8-8-24 but I could not get Windows to boot with those timings.)
    QPI/vtt = 1.40v
    IOH Core = 1.18v
    QPI PLL = 1.20v

I am happy with that although I would like to get down to 8-8-8-24-1T. What settings would I have to change to try to get it stable at those timings? Do I have to up the DRAM voltage?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully the system is stable now. I'll let it run overnight, just in case...

-Darin

you might need even more qpi/vtt with 8-8-8-24 timings,you wont see any difference anyway with 9-9-9-24,im glad you can see 12gb and run them at 1600mhz though,you shouldn't need to alter dram voltage only qpi/vtt

you can also try current voltages but with 8-8-8-26 timings or 8-8-8-28 timings
    Last edited by wazza300; 07-23-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darinf View Post
    I received my new RAM today, Corsair HX3X12G1600C9, a 6x2GB DDR3 1600 MATCHED set.

I guess people were right about getting a matched set.

I installed the 6 sticks and at least all 12GB was recognized right away at 1600.

I did have to adjust the timings and voltages to get all 12GB to boot Windows and run Prime95. I have been running Prime95 for 3 hours so far.

Here's the changes I had to make:

DRAM Voltage = 1.68v
    Timings = 9-9-9-24-2T (The RAM is rated at 8-8-8-24 but I could not get Windows to boot with those timings.)
    QPI/vtt = 1.40v
    IOH Core = 1.18v
    QPI PLL = 1.20v

I am happy with that although I would like to get down to 8-8-8-24-1T. What settings would I have to change to try to get it stable at those timings? Do I have to up the DRAM voltage?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully the system is stable now. I'll let it run overnight, just in case...

-Darin
    Great to hear your new set is working fine!!!

I really think the whole "matched set" is all marketing, and there was some fault with one or more of your sticks is all.

This was said by Sean @ Mushkin forums too, but the site is down right now so I can find the thread to link you to his comment about that. I'll add in once the site gets back up.

I did some quick tests for you today, just to show you that Matched sets are not needed at all! All you need is 100% working memory, and finding the right settings. These by the way were all done at stock settings, I mean stock to me - nothing extreme, 1.35 QPI/Vtt, 1.66 Vdimm

It's all marketing!!

12GB of mixed memory @ 1600Mhz. 3 different sets mixed, all with different timings and IC's, even a second brand threw in to mix it up. Each channel set to spec of installed memory, so this is REAL Triple channel :)

12GB Mixed memory @ 1600Mhz. 2 mixed sets, different timings and IC's. Timings set to spec of best kit

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-24-2010 at 04:10 AM.

It's not that I don't believe you. Certainly you have WAY more experience than I do. I guess from my perspective there's no way to know for sure unless I had at least two sets of each of the 12GB kits I bought.

Here's how I see it as two possible explanations:

1) The manufacturers have such good testing and QC that they take the time to make sure all the sticks in a "kit" match each other. They know that their manufacturing is inconsistent enough that any two sticks can have very different performance characteristics. So a matched "kit" will work better than random sticks. (I find it hard to believe that they really take the time it sort every stick by it's performance, but I guess they do. They have to test each stick anyway, right?)

OR

2) The manufacturers have terrible QC and testing so that the odds of us getting bad RAM is very high. It can seem to us that RAM that is DOA or marginally within specs is due to some other factor, like matching kits, since we can't imagine that we would get that many bad sticks all the time.

I guess scenario #2 is easier to believe.

The reason is that I got two completely different sets of 12GB RAM, one 3x4gb and one 6x2GB, both of which passed Memtest86+ overnight and yet would not perform up to specs in Windows.

So you're saying that I was just unlucky to get two sets of bad RAM. And that I got lucky with this last 6x2GB set which actually works (but not up to spec timing).

Either scenario is possible. I suppose I could just keep ordering three 1x4GB sticks until I found three that worked. Unfortunately that's a lot of money to tie up for testing.

Thanks for your input though. Maybe if I ever upgrade the RAM, I'll try again with cheaper, unmatched sticks.

-Darin

Here is his comment I was refering to, it's not directly about 2x6GB or a 12Gb kit, but you will see what I mean once you read it
    Mushkin Enhanced Forums &bull; View topic - 24GB (6x4) Kit needed for GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard

Ya it would be hard to say for sure, without still having the other set. I suspect it was just one or more of the sticks was not in full working order is all, I have seen the same with a single 6GB kit too. All sticks pass memtest, ect but do not work together as a set. It could have also just all been your settings

They might bin 12GB kits more than 6GB kits, but this binning would be more towards stability at stock speeds/spec together, while 6GB kits would be binned towards better performance at stock spec which would actually make them better suited towards running 12GB. Of course that is all just my guess, but seems obvious things would be that way to me.

DOA ram happens more often than we would like to know, and more often than they would like to admit. It's just life, it happens.

More likely in your case is that settings were just off a bit and you haven't played with your board long enough to know how to find the sweet spot. Since you comment you now can't get your current 12GB going at spec, I bet this is the issue, that you are just not familiar enough with your board yet to get things just right.

I can help though!! Give me your current settings you try for spec speeds and I will advise back to try and help you get going, template in my signature.

Here's the settings I am using now. I would like to try the rated speed of 8-8-8-24-1T, but only if you think it will make any difference at all in terms of speed. I tried those timings and the computer wouldn't boot. It would sometimes post reporting 8gb or 10gb of RAM. With the 9-9-9-24-2T, it seems pretty stable now.

Code:
      New Corsair RAM 12GB matched set

Advanced CPU Features:
      CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21x]
      Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
      CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
      CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Enabled]
      C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
      CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
      CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
      Virtualization Technology ................... [Disabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
      Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
      QPI Link Speed .............................. x44
      Uncore Frequency .......................... x24(Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)
      Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
      Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
      BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 133
      PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [Auto]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
      CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
      PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
      CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
      IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
      Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
      Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ 12.0
      DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Quick]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
      ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
      CAS Latency Time ...................... 9
      tRCD ....................................... 9
      tRP ......................................... 9
      tRAS ....................................... 24

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine. For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and 

findings about these settings and rules here
      XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
      tRC ........................................ [Auto]=27 (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
      tRRD ....................................... [Auto]=4
      tWTR ...................................... [Auto]=4 (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
      tWR ........................................ [Auto]=8
      tWTP ....................................... [Auto]=19 (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
      tWL ........................................ [Auto]=7 (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
      tRFC ....................................... 80
      tRTP ....................................... [Auto]=4
      tFAW ...................................... [Auto]=20
      Command Rate (CMD) ................ 2T

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
      Round Trip Latency ................... [Auto]=60

B2B CAS Delay .......................... -

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
      Load Line Calibration ................. [Standard]
      CPU Vcore ............................... [Auto]=1.29375
      QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.44V