Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58A-UD7 has 88/8B error and will not post

Default GA-X58A-UD7 has 88/8B error and will not post

So everything is plugged in (both the 24 and 8 pin power, etc) and when I boot up the computer all I get is a 88 (also read as 8B in some other posts I have seen) on the LEDs. The fans spin, the disk drive works, everything is powered except my computer will not post. I just transferred a working CPU and the RAM from another Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 board, so I know they are also compatible and working.

I'm very frustrated, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Just an update. Some other posts on this issue say to check to make sure that both power inputs are plugged in properly. Checked, checked, and triple checked. Everything is plugged in as it should be.

EDIT 2: Just to clarify, I had this exact setup with a previous UD7 board, which worked fine. After I transferred the components to the new UD7, it gives me the error. Post changed to reflect this.
    Last edited by Nostrum; 07-21-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD7 has 88/8B error and will not post

What CPU/CPU's are you trying to use?

What PSU are you using and have you tried another? Are you sure there is no bent CPU Socket pins?

This may just be b8/B8 meaning incompatible CPU, such as using a 980X CPU on a unsupported BIOS. I made note of this at the end of the X58 post codes listed in my signature, here's a link
    Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

So hopefully it is just this, and if so all you need to do is borrow an older CPU such as 920 so you can flash the BIOS.

If find this is the issue and get a older CPU, please flash with Qflash and disable Keep DMI Data during the update, here is a guide
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Should have clarified:

I had this exact setup on another UD7 board which was damaged when a video card was removed. I had it working perfectly. When my old UD7 broke I bought a new UD7, and just switched out one motherboard for the new one in my case. No components changed.

I'm running a Intel 930 CPU, a Corsair HX1000 PSU, Cosrair dominator RAM, and Nvidia GTX 480 GPU. Like I said, all of this worked in my last board, but for some reason my new UD7 is kaput.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What CPU/CPU's are you trying to use?

What PSU are you using and have you tried another? Are you sure there is no bent CPU Socket pins?

This may just be b8/B8 meaning incompatible CPU, such as using a 980X CPU on a unsupported BIOS. I made note of this at the end of the X58 post codes listed in my signature, here's a link
    Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

So hopefully it is just this, and if so all you need to do is borrow an older CPU such as 920 so you can flash the BIOS.

If find this is the issue and get a older CPU, please flash with Qflash and disable Keep DMI Data during the update, here is a guide
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Have you tried it out of the case yet to be sure there is no shorts?

Cleared the CMOS for 5-10 minutes yet? That would be my first step, before trying things outside of the case.

It still could be incompatible CPU, 930 is not supported until F5 BIOS, so if your new board shipped with F2-F4 it will not boot with that CPU and you will need to borrow a 920 to flash it

Have cleared the CMOS several times with no luck. Just tried outside of the case with no luck. Gah!

Shouldn't all new boards ship with F6?

Have you tried it out of the case yet to be sure there is no shorts?

Cleared the CMOS for 5-10 minutes yet? That would be my first step, before trying things outside of the case.

It still could be incompatible CPU, 930 is not supported until F5 BIOS, so if your new board shipped with F2-F4 it will not boot with that CPU and you will need to borrow a 920 to flash it

No boards might ship with older BIOS, and Rev, 1.0 is being phased out anyway right now, so what you bought would be old stock and could have been sitting there for months and may have any BIOS from F2 to F4

I assume this is the problem, it's the only time I have seen this debug code

I've heard about rev 2.0 in the past and I've looked online for rev 2.0 to no avail. Where can I get that board?

No boards might ship with older BIOS, and Rev, 1.0 is being phased out anyway right now, so what you bought would be old stock and could have been sitting there for months and may have any BIOS from F2 to F4

I assume this is the problem, it's the only time I have seen this debug code
    Last edited by Nostrum; 07-21-2010 at 01:57 PM.

It will not be for sale until all shops sell off all the old stock of rev. 1.0. I do believe they all have the boards by now as they shipped out a while ago, they are just holding back to try and sell as many of the rev 1.0 boards they can first.

All you need is a CPU to flash with, no one you can borrow a 920 from?

Nope, no one to borrow a 920 from, unfortunately. I'd be much happier with the rev 2.0 board anyway, so I would gladly nab one up given the chance. Maybe my Microcenter will sell me one if I call up and ask?

It will not be for sale until all shops sell off all the old stock of rev. 1.0. I do believe they all have the boards by now as they shipped out a while ago, they are just holding back to try and sell as many of the rev 1.0 boards they can first.

All you need is a CPU to flash with, no one you can borrow a 920 from?

They might sell you one, but they are probably told by the stock manager to say "none in stock yet"

Buy a 920, flash, return same day :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information