Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent problem with booting

Question Intermittent problem with booting

Hi everyone,

I've got a really strange problem happening with my new computer. I've had it for a couple of weeks now, and quite a few times times when I've tried to start it up, the following happens:
    * It takes much longer than normal trying to detect the hard drives
    * It doesn't detect one of the hard drives
    * My USB components don't get power at/after POST so I can't boot into the bios (but they do get power when Windows starts loading)
    * When Windows eventually starts, it says there's no network adapter installed so I can't get on the net

What I usually do is shutdown, then switch it off at the power supply, press the power button to get rid of any power still in the computer, then switch it back on, and this normally fixes it. When it's fixed there's absolutely no problems at all, I can get into BIOS fine, network adapter works, boots up quick, no errors with Windows or any of the games I play.

Considering that this is intermittent, I'm not sure what I should really do now to try and fix the problem. I have flashed the bios to the newest, and even the BETA bios with no success. The problem even happened once with all the hard drives disconnected, so it's not them causing the problem, and I've re-seated the ram and swapped the sticks around a few times and the problem still continuous to happen. Strangely enough, it's more likely to happen when cold. Around about 50% of the time when I turn it on when I get home from work the problem happens, yet once it's been on for a while, I can turn it on and off 20 times and the problem won't happen.

Also, when I can get into the bios and I go into M.I.T., the keyboard and mouse continuously turn on and off. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what I should do next. My system specs are as below:

CPU: i7 930
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard Rev2.0
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB Overclocked
    PSU: Corsair HX-650
    Memory: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 3x2GB OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    OS HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HD103SJ
    Storage HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARS
    Drives: Samsung SH-S223C DVDRW
    Case: Thermaltake Element G
    Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro (USB)
    Mouse: Microsoft X5

Thanks guys,

Christian

Default Re: Intermittent problem with booting

make a note of all your bios settings,then fully clear the cmos by removing the mb battery for 30mins,then put back in and load optimized defualts and re-enter any bios settings you had,makesure usb legacy devices is enabled in the bios and any usb keyboards/mice that you have if any,makesure usb 1.0 and usb 2.0 are enabled,set the f3 as first boot device in the bios and boot order then save and exit

put the os hdd in the intel blue port0 and storage into port1 and port2,any sata dvd drives should be in port4 or port5

you mean the keyboard and mouse pulsate? is it one of those new bios layouts? if so its normal i think as it scans,it does it with my lycosa keyboard the lights pulsate,ive gone back to the old layout bios
    Last edited by wazza300; 08-10-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help mate, I've just done all of that so we'll see how it goes from here. Yeah pulsating is the word to describe what happens in the M.I.T. section of the bios, looks like that is normal though.

4 days! It was good for 4 days, but now the problem just happened again today. Thinking about taking the motherboard to get a replacement now, not sure what else I can really do.

you have usb3 on that mb? try with it disabled,same for sata3 if your not using it
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Thanks guys, I just tried disabling all of that, then I tried disabling everything I wasn't using like the gsata ports and firewire, but for some reason the problem still occurs :(. Any other ideas? Haha

I still haven't managed to find anyone else with this exact problem with the USB power, but I did find a few threads about the network adapter not appearing after resuming from sleep. I put my computer to sleep the other day and resumed it about an hour later, and yep, network adapter had magically disappeared. Then I tried it again last night, and I resumed the computer using the keyboard, which obviously had power at that point, then when Windows came back, my USB power was gone! I couldn't do anything! Then I tried it a few other times and it worked perfectly fine. The interesting thing is that you must switch off the power at the power supply, press the power button on the computer (to clear the capacitors?), and reboot. If you just do a warm reset it won't fix the problem - this seems to be the only consistent thing with my problem and the problem that other people had. The threads died though, no one ended up having a fix for it.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Since this revision is new you will probably have to wait a few BIOS revisions before things get ironed out.

its either bios or memory settings/qpi/vtt voltage as it saves the computers current state to the ram then resumes from it when it wakes up
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Ah ok, well thanks for the help guys, it turns out the beta bios I was using was superceded pretty much the day I upgraded it (lol). I was on FB11 and it's FB16 now. I've just flashed to the new bios, so we'll see how that goes. Fingers crossed :).

PS, I also uploaded some pics of my new PC here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post368681

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information