Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get Intel SATA driver to work

alternety is offline Member

Default Re: Can't get Intel SATA driver to work

No, OS drive is not first on controller. It is a DVD. Put there because of multiple posts found saying there were boot from DVD problems if it was not. This is not how drives were positioned when I initially built the machine. I moved them around when I tried to repair a non-RAID version of the failed install using a restore from a backup I made of the broken system disk image. One thing that, I think, is a problem with having my boot drives at the highest ports is the disruption in boot order when I plug in a USB thumb drive.

I am sitting here looking at rearranging drives before I start again. Is there a constraint on which port position the DVD drive needs to be in the main Intel SATA controller to allow booting from a DVD/CD? I have to get this thing running. I have so many things not done at the house because of screwing with this.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Put your OS disk on SATAII_0, and the CD/DVD on SATAII_4 or 5.

Any port will allowing booting to CD, so not sure what you read or why someone said what they did, but it does not matter in regards to that.

Thanks. I sort of figured that out while in my ongoing quest for a working system, but wanted to ask before I do this for the LAST time. I would like to put the DVD drive at the top of the SATA port space. I have a removable dsik frame that holds 4 drives that I would like to have start right after the first two drives. I am also thinking about putting one drive at the very top on the gigabyte SATA controller for an in-box backup drive. I would also consider putting the DVD on one of these two Gigabyte ports.

There is no need to put the DVD at the top, and I suggest that you don't, at least not port 0 anyway. It would be best to put them as I suggested above.

Or yes, you can put your DVD drives on the Gigabyte/J.Micron ports if you want

Sorry - just different terminology. By top I mean the highest address port. We are saying the same thing.

Yet one more frustration on this machine. When I was doing all of this I got some new drives and I have discovered that I cant use any in about 1/3 of my available disk slots because the graphics card I have (5830 based) is too long. That is going to keep me from keeping an old IDE disk in there to run native XP. Oh well. IF they wern't so expensive I would go get a shorter board. I bought a big case for lots of drives. I just did not think a graphics card would be long enough to screw up the plan.

I will probably start the reinstall today. I have to go outside first and find that rabbit that lurks around my plants. I believe he will play a key role in a successful install.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Looking at images of your board I don't see how any of the ports would be blocked by a graphics card, how do you think they would be?

Unless you have a different revision than the one I see online, all the ports should face the front of your case and could be easily connected to drives. IDE placement also looks like it shouldn't be a problem as well, so I am confused on why you think it might be?

Good luck with the re-install!! Hope you get that rabbit :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information