Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte UD5 - Install XP on IDE hard drive bsod 0x0000007b

Default Gigabyte UD5 - Install XP on IDE hard drive bsod 0x0000007b

Hey everybody, I need some help. I've researched heavily but can't find my specific question anywhere.

I have Windows 7 64-bit installed on a Caviar Black 1 tb SATA drive already. No worries there, everything works great (I do have AHCI enabled).

Well I want to install windows xp (on a separate drive), and I have an old-school IDE drive (WD 120GB) that I want to use. So I plugged it into the sole IDE port on the board and pop my xp pro disc (it has sp1) in.

I get through most of the loading stuff but then i get a bsod with the 0x0000007b hard drive/hardware code.

I went back to windows 7 and disk manager and found the drive and even formatted it to ntfs and the drive shows up in bios fine.

I don't know a whole lot about the slipstreaming new service packs and drivers, etc. to old versions of xp due to AHCI/sata issues, but I am aware of that. But would that even be an issue since I'm not using a sata hard drive to install xp on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any more details...I'm pulling my hair out!

Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte UD5 - Install XP on IDE hard drive bsod 0x0000007b

Do you have the GSATA Settings (middle/lower) ones in the BIOS set to IDE mode?

If not set those to IDE mode and it should work. Not sure though, if you can use IDE disks in AHCI mode?

If the above fails you may need to leave AHCI enabled where you had it before, and install XP with an AHCI Driver via F6 during install.

Or you could remove all AHCI/SATA Devices except your CD/DVD drive, set IDE in the BIOS for everything, then install XP on the IDE Drive. Then connect everything back and enable AHCI at the top for the Intel ports, and then either use F12 boot menu to select the IDE drive to boot XP when you need to, or use a BCD editor and add the XP install to the vista bootloader

These are some really great suggestions. Thank you! I will give these a try after work and report back.

Thanks again!

Let us know how you get along.

If you still can't get it please be sure you let us know exactly what drives (SATA/IDE-HDD-CD/DVD) you have connected to what ports (Color and #), and what BIOS settings you are using for what sections.

Success! I unplugged my main sata hdd and changed ahci to ide under integrated peripherals and xp loaded like a charm! Then i switched it back to ahci and it boots back into win 7 no problem. Now i can just hit f12 when I need to use xp on boot up.

The only thing is that my sata dvd drive isn't detected in xp when I changed it back to ahci. But I'm guessing it's a driver issue (I'm still updating to sp3 and downloading drivers and all the good stuff that comes with a fresh xp install). I'm not too worried about that.

Thank you lsd for your great advice!

Nice to see you got it going!!

If you want I can show you how you can edit windows 7 bootloader so you can add XP to the menu and choose that way instead of F12 bootup choice, but it will work fine either way if you want to leave it as it is now.

SATA CD/DVD drive in AHCI sometimes does not work, but generally that is only during bootup. Do you have the drive on SATAII_4 or 5? If not move it to those ports, and then if no luck try native mode enabled and disabled and see if that helps or not.

Thanks lsd. I have a guide to getting the bootloader going that may be similar to your method (using EasyBCD to add the entry). But to be honest I kind of like having it the way it is. That way I can just turn the computer on and it automatically goes into Win 7 without a wait.

I am however still having problems with my DVD RW. I put it in the Sata 5 port like you suggested but it still isn't showing up in XP. It works fine in 7 and also shows up during the boot-up sequence fine. But in XP it isn't appearing at all, even under the device manager. It just isn't there. I'm afraid it has something to do with me changing the BIOS back to AHCI from IDE. When it was IDE it showed up fine.

Any idea of how to make that work?

Thanks for all your help!

So, when you boot into XP are you using BIOS set AHCI or IDE? If you installed XP in IDE mode you would need to also switch this setting back to IDE when you use XP.

Is the CD/DVD drive an actual IDE device or it is SATA? If it's IDE where on the cable do you have it, and what jumper settings are you using? Sometimes you can't use IDE hard drive and IDE CD/DVD drive on the same cable in these more recent machines, you might need to buy a SATA CD/DVD drive (You can get a decent one for $20-25 normally)

Since all of this, have you installed the latest chipset drivers in XP? If not go ahead and see if that helps or not
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

Some CD/DVD drives have issues with AHCI enabled at certain times, but it appears that this is not the case for you and it works fine in AHCI at all times except in XP correct?

Ok, I did install XP in IDE mode. That was the problem I was originally having - it wouldn't allow me to install when I had it set to AHCI.

Yes, the CD/DVD works fine in all other settings (it is SATA).

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to reinstall using a floppy for the sata drivers (hopefully this would circumvent the BSOD I was getting before with AHCI enabled). Would this work? Which driver should I put on there, the INF files from the intel link or the sata/raid drivers from Gigabyte?

OK, thanks!

That is the problem then I think, when you switch back to XP you need to also set the disk setting to IDE as well. That should be the only way XP boots actually, and should also correct your CD/DVD drive issue.

As I mentioned before I am not sure you can even use AHCI settings/drivers for an actual IDE hard drive, so I don't think that will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information