Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA P55 USB3 BIOS help and other things (ugh.. dying here)

Default GA P55 USB3 BIOS help and other things (ugh.. dying here)

I just built this PC yesterday.

GA-P55-USB3 Motherboard ver.2.0
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX (750 watt)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    Western Digital WD1002FAEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0/gb
    Intel i5-750 LGA 1156 2.66GHZ
    Lite-ON 24x DVD Writer Black SATA Model IHAS-324-98

(No Vid card yet, using 8600 GT til next week)

THe hardware installs fine. I have a Mid-case, and was a somewhat tight squeeze, but it all fits nice and lots of ventilation. I plug in 1HDD for now, which will be my Primary, and just install Windows 7 64bit.

I turn it on, and bios pops up. it's default in IDE mode, so i leave it, and just make sure everything is running. I check the HDD to make sure it got read... and it did not. Pissed, i check to see if it atleast is read on the post-screen.. and it is. Confused, i wanted to see if i could install windows 7 now. I pop in the CD, restart, and i get this.

DISC BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER

Reading up on this, i found it could help a lot if i could update the BIOS driver (F5 out of the box, F8 is available) but a OS is needed first. ugh

so i try in RAID/IDE mode, and i get a bit further, running the actual windows CD (White load bar and loading files) but then i get the I/o Disk error. Check all connections and see if any USB or media drives were plugged in.

I had none, only CD/DVD rom and HDD.

So, my next guess is i thought maybe the Disc i burned (bought online, made a copy using windows backup tool) and same result. I then tried the USB Flash drive way, but it doesn't even read the Flash drive, even when forced to boot from USB-FDD.

Now thinking it's the HDD, i test out the other HDD's (Primary HDD on last computer, had windows 7 32 bit).. same results. Doesn't read in the Bios, reads in the post-screen, doesn't get past I/O error and everything else just like other HDD.

Thinking maybe now it's the cables. I have around 15-20 SATA cables, some old and new.. same results as above.

i then thought maybe the new WD HDD is bad? I check on my old computer and it reads, boots up with win 7 64bit cd fine, and got to the INSTALL menu in actual windows. :(

So next, i try out different CD/DVD drives. All of them read, and ran the CD, but it got a few times it got to the I/o Error, and sometimes it read the windows files, did the Win7 logo screen, and then proceeded to go into the install menu (blue screen with flowers)... and then, the CD just stops spinning and the screen goes nowhere.

I then tried taking out a stick of RAM (1x4gigs) and see maybe if too much memory for install was causing problems... nope.

So finally, i figured it could just be the win 7. I tried my Windows vista CD and Win Xp cd, and all got to the same spots. ugh

Is this Motherboard just not working or is there other options i can try? I'm not very techy, so a little step by step to try things would help. I just want to install a OS.. lol and maybe then i can get some new errors for once. :(

If it's really dead, would anybody suggest a good mobo with the things i already have once i return this one? lol Finding things compatible was a challenge for me already

Default Re: GA P55 USB3 BIOS help and other things (ugh.. dying here)

plug hdd into port 0,dvd drive in port 4/5 unless its ide dvd drive,did you update the bios to the latest one first using q-flash?
    disable any floppy drives from bios drive A and boot order,formatted the hdd in ntfs? ahh i see u have 6gb sata hdd,install it on the jmicron white ports if thats what you want to use and enable sata3 in the bios,you might need pre-install drivers for sata3 not sure but they will be on gigabytes website,just install from usb before os install
    Last edited by wazza300; 08-22-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

For a SATA 6Gb/s drive you either want to use the Intel ports, or the Marvell ports, not the J.Micron ones Wazza mentioned - I think he might be sleepy :)

No drivers are needed or suggested during the OS Install, unless you are using RAID, the Microsoft default ones would be best and work fine for all ports for IDE and AHCI modes.

You also need to go into Advanced BIOS page and then into Hard Disk Boot Priority section and move your OS Drive to the top of this list, this is not the 1, 2, 3 boot order settings.

I got to Install the OS finally last night... but it took a LONG time to get through those menu's. When it finally finished, it seemed to work fine til i installed the things from the gigabyte disc that came with the motherboard.

I came across a problem that windows could not detect a network adapter at all, and i couldn't even search for installed devices. =/ When restarting, i get BSOD. lol

I need to do a fresh install again. So back to square one.

Flash drives reads when on the computer, but for q-flash... I can't seem to use Q-Flash. Every USB on the computer doesn't read the flash drive at all here to update from. I just get to the Q-flash utility and shows 0MB and no files, when i extracted the files into the usb itself. On the top, it reads the flash (ST380817AS) but nothing else. It's quite frustrating.

If i want to run the HDD in SATA 3.0, how can i do this? I went through the BIOS and saw nothing really for SATA6 or even 3.0,

UPDATE:

Doing another fresh install without installing the Motherboard CD after, everything works fine, except the Onboard LAN, which is another problem, so i created another thread.

Anyways, trying to update the BIOS again (to fix the Onboard LAN problem) using Q-Flash with a HDD, and a new Flash (and a few other ways), it just doesn't detect anything. Not even the HDD the OS is on.

Which brings me to my next thing. I realized Win 7 x64 installed fine using the GSata ports on the motherboard, but didn't detect the HDD's or do much while using the SATA ports. While using windows and a flash drive, i updated the P55 Chipset drivers, and that didn't do anything. So i'm very confused.

So, OS works fine with GSATA ports, but there is no only 2 of those, and the other SATA ports (6 of them) do not work at all really. I cannot Update the Bios to F6 using Q-Flash, so i'm confused.

I'm really leaning towards a faulty motherboard.. but it works. :(

Any suggestions?

ugh
    Last edited by Xeronic; 08-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.

make your usb bootable,look in q-flash guide on main page and use hp software to make it bootable and format it to fat32,it should see the bios file then

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USB Does not need to be bootable to use with Qflash, but it does have to be FATxx, and compatible with the board. It only needs to be bootable if you want to flash from DOS.

You also must be sure you have all Legacy USB options enabled in your BIOS. If your OS install screens are taking a long time between each you may have Floppy enabled, be sure this is disabled on the Standard CMOS Page (Drive A), and removed from the 1, 2, 3, boot order.

after a lot of more testing (with the suggestions above not working) i've given up on trying to get this mobo to work. I ran into another problem that started tonight. The infamous infinite reboot that goes with faulty gigabyte mobos.

I sent a RMA to newegg for a replacement. I'll keep this updated if i get more of the same problems on the next one. :(

so frustrated with this right now. :(

Some USB Devices are just not compatible with Qflash, especially larger ones.

Sorry to hear you decided to RMA so quickly, but I guess it may be ok if it does turn out the board was buggy.

Let us know when your new one arrives, and don't RMA this next one so quickly :)

Thread Information