Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled




  1. #11
    Acebmxer's Avatar
    Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    2,817

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    dont think so.... It wouldn't hurt to try it. Try reflashing the motherboard bios. or I think you have a bad drive. Maybe wazza or lsd might have something else to try
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator





  2. #12
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    I have seen this with faulty drives, but I see you have tested it and found it to be ok.

    Have you tested this drive ONLY on the board yet? If not please do.

    Was this drive ever in a RAID Array?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I have seen this with faulty drives, but I see you have tested it and found it to be ok.

    Have you tested this drive ONLY on the board yet? If not please do.

    Was this drive ever in a RAID Array?
    This particular drive was not in a RAID array (OS drive), however the other drive that holds the files was at one time. I took it out and then subsequently removed the raid designation in the Intel bios settings.

    The funny thing is that I RMA'd on drive because it wouldn't work, when I got the new drive the bios posted just fine. The problems started after the I tried to install windows 7 64bit. The drive was formatted as part of the install. It formatted fine, windows install did its thing, but when the computer rebooted that is when the problems started. I find it hard to believe that two drives would have the same problem. It's possible, but extremely remote, in my opinion.

    Thanks for the help though. But I find it curious that other with 1TB drives don't have or aren't having the same problem.

  4. #14
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    K, I was just wondering about this drive itself being in RAID ever. If not, no worries.

    Have you tested it by itself yet, no other drives or CD/DVD's connected? If not please test it like that, in SATAII_0

    You may just need to perform a low level format on it, or a fixboot/fixMBR. Here is how to try those and see if it corrects things, if the fixMBR/Fixboot does not work then you may just need to low level format the drive
    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

    You may also want to try to rebuild the BCD Store mentioned above, have you tried Windows 7 Startup repair (Twice) from the install disk? If not try that first, that is if you still have windows installed on the drive. And here is a bit on how to rebuild the BCD Store
    How to Rebuild the BCD | eHow.com


    To low level format you will need a boot CD such as Hiren's or Ultimate Boot CD, then use KillDisk on it (I would use killdisk only, it's all you need, google Hiren's boot CD)

    Then once you have killed the disk you will need to get into windows on another machine, with a good partition utility such as Paragon or Easeus and set the disk active again as it will appear dead after you use killdisk until it's set active. That can also be done with Diskpart from the windows 7 install disk

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    K, I was just wondering about this drive itself being in RAID ever. If not, no worries.

    Have you tested it by itself yet, no other drives or CD/DVD's connected? If not please test it like that, in SATAII_0

    You may just need to perform a low level format on it, or a fixboot/fixMBR. Here is how to try those and see if it corrects things, if the fixMBR/Fixboot does not work then you may just need to low level format the drive
    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

    You may also want to try to rebuild the BCD Store mentioned above, have you tried Windows 7 Startup repair (Twice) from the install disk? If not try that first, that is if you still have windows installed on the drive. And here is a bit on how to rebuild the BCD Store
    How to Rebuild the BCD | eHow.com


    To low level format you will need a boot CD such as Hiren's or Ultimate Boot CD, then use KillDisk on it (I would use killdisk only, it's all you need, google Hiren's boot CD)

    Then once you have killed the disk you will need to get into windows on another machine, with a good partition utility such as Paragon or Easeus and set the disk active again as it will appear dead after you use killdisk until it's set active. That can also be done with Diskpart from the windows 7 install disk
    Man, I'd sure hate to have to reformat the disk after I finally getting the computer running again. Do you think it is really a formatting issue? To me that seems the most likely problem, because one out of two identical disks (other than serial numbers) work just fine on the motherboard.

    Also isn't BCD repairing really only used when Windows won't boot properly? I suppose this is where I'd try first, because it shouldn't erase the data. At any rate, I'll try the first one and go from there. I'll try to report back later this week or early next week.

    Thanks everyone for the help

  6. #16
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    What do you mean you'd hate to format it after getting it running? Is it running now, with that drive? If so then problem solved right? If not then I would go ahead with Killdisk myself, then set drive active and try again

    Yes BCD rebuild is only needed if you still have windows 7 installed, wasn't sure if you formatted it off there or not is why I suggested that.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What do you mean you'd hate to format it after getting it running? Is it running now, with that drive? If so then problem solved right? If not then I would go ahead with Killdisk myself, then set drive active and try again

    Yes BCD rebuild is only needed if you still have windows 7 installed, wasn't sure if you formatted it off there or not is why I suggested that.
    Yes it is running in IDE mode as of right now, but I would like to take advantage of hotplugging that ACHI offers. I thought stated that in the first posts, if not I apologize.

    At any rate, I found some others on with the same problem. One article here :

    SATA driver issue w/ Win 7 and Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H - Windows 7 Forums

    reported the same problem. Different motherboard obviously but same problem. I do have the USB headers connected, but right now I have to run to work so I'll try that later.

  8. #18
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    You won't get "Safely Remove" on the Intel ports anyway, it would have to be done via uninstall device in device manager.

    So if you only need AHCI for that and are not concerned about any possible speed improvements AHCI brings, then you can leave it in IDE mode and use device manager to swap drives when needed.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    Not to drag up an old topic, but I think I fixed my problem with the hard drives not be found by the bios when booting. I removed the connections to the USB headers on the motherboard, changed the bios setting to AHCI and it booted like a charm. I did have a USB card reader that was connected the USB header, so I wonder if the reader was causing the problem or just a random event that got it working. So if anyone else has this problem maybe it can be fixed by disconnecting the USB headers and see if that fixes the problem. (Of course I had to enable AHCI in the registry before Windows 7 would boot correctly, but that was an easy fix.)

    The other question I would have is why this caused the problem in the first place?

    Thanks for the help all

  10. #20
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

    Nice to see you solved this!

    Ya, sounds like that card reader may have been causing some strange compatibility issues, plug it back in and test if you don't mind.

    Then if you do find the same issues please report it to Gigabyte when you have a second, that way they will at least be aware and can try to address the issue if that is possible on their end.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...l-support.aspx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •