Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 1.0)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 1.0)

Thanks, Try these

Before you do though, yep ErP causes your exact issues! Disable that and things may be back to normal for you

Code:
    Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock Ratio ....................... [21x]
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ............. [Disabled]
    CPU Cores Enabled ..................... [All]
    CPU Multi Threading ................... [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ............... [Enabled]  << Disabled
    C3/C6/C7 State Support ................ [Enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor ................... [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function ..................... [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology ............. [Enabled]
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ................ [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
    QPI Link Speed ........................ [x36]
    Uncore Frequency .....................  [6.87GHz] (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)  set 16-18
    Isonchronous Support .................. [Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ............. [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) .................. [191]
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
    CPU Clock Drive ........................[800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive ............... [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew ........................ [0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew ........................ [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
    Performance Enhance ................... [Turbo] (I have tried standard as well, no change)  Extreme is best on these boards.
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [8.0]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Quick]  << Use Expert, and set each channel one by one, that way you can see if you are dropping a channel.   Failed channel will show as NA or -
    Channel Interleaving .................. [6]
    Rank Interleaving ..................... [4]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
    CAS Latency Time ...................... [9]
    tRCD .................................. [9]
    tRP ................................... [9]
    tRAS .................................. [24]

You should use auto for now for all timings below, unless you are sure they are correct and not part of your issues.    But actually, I think the ErP comment below will fix you right up!
    ##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
    tRC ................................... [40] (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
    tRRD .................................. [5]
    tWTR .................................. [6] (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
    tWR ................................... [12]
    tWTP .................................. [24]  (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
    tWL ................................... [8]    (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
    tRFC .................................. [88]
    tRTP .................................. [6]
    tFAW .................................. [50] Auto
    Command Rate (CMD) .................... [1]

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
    Round Trip Latency .................... [Auto]

B2B CAS Delay ..........................[Auto]

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    Load Line Calibration ................. [Level 1]
    CPU Vcore ............................. [1.300v]
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ................ [1.235v]  < May need 1.25-1.45+ with 12GB
    CPU PLL 1.800v ........................ [Auto]

MCH/ICH
    PCIE 1.500v ........................... [1.500v]
    QPI PLL 1.100v ........................ [Auto]
    IOH Core 1.100v ....................... [Auto]  << may need 1.14-1.2+
    ICH I/O 1.500v ........................ [Auto]
    ICH Core 1.1v ......................... [Auto]

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage 1.500v ................... [1.500v]  << May need more for sure with 12GB, spec at 1.5 is for one single stick
    DRAM Termination 0.750v ............... [AUTO]
    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ................ [AUTO]
    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ................ [AUTO]
    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ................ [AUTO]
    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ............. [AUTO]
    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ............. [AUTO]
    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ............. [AUTO]

Power Management Setup
    ACPI Suspend Type ..................... [S3(STR)]
    HPET Support .......................... [Enabled]
    HPET Mode ............................. [64-bit mode]
    ErP Support ........................... [Enabled]    <-- Could this be a problem?  << Ahh yes, now that you mention this FOR SURE!!!   Especially since you mentioned the CMOS being cleared/time reset!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Thanks, Try these

Before you do though, yep ErP causes your exact issues! Disable that and things may be back to normal for you
    Why does ErP exist if that's what it seems to do? I know it is a European Union initiative to reduce power footprints, but if it causes machines to lose settings, that sounds like a bad thing.

I could have sworn I had ErP enabled in the previous build, but maybe I left if off.

What's wrong with C1E, though? or CPU EIST Function? I just realized that I have EIST ENABLED, not disabled.

Regarding the memory timings, I used to leave them all on Auto but I found that doing so made my system less stable than inputting them manually. I can switch them all back to Auto very easily.

As for the tiny voltage tweaks, I don't specifically remember needing to make those changes on F5, but they don't seem unreasonable. I can't help but wonder what makes this BIOS so different that I would need to provide significantly more voltage to my RAM and Chipset... just seems strange to me.

Speaking of vRAM, I've always used 1.5v with those three modules in that configuration. I build the system on 14 March 2010, and have had no real problems. I can try moving up to 1.6v but I don't know why it would be fine for so long and then be a problem.

It's supposed to work, they just have not worked out the bugs for it is all. We've reported the issue and they say they can't replicate it, a few of use a while back.

C1E and EIST are Intel Speedstep, you should disable them when you are overclocking to better remain stable. But you can enable them if you like and try to get stable that way, it's just harder to do is all.

I think your main issue is ErP, disable that and you will probably be back to how you were previously without issues. Maybe some minor tweaking might be needed, but I think that is your main issue, sorry I didn't think of it sooner when you described the issue but it's been a while since we tested and reported the issue so I forgot all about it.

You can disregard my suggestions and just change ErP and see how you get along with that, you may be fine. I made all those suggestions as a general for the hardware you have, they may not be needed at all.

What about the Load Line Calibration setting? As I understand it, that adjusts vDroop, which doesn't really need to be adjusted, as it can cause pretty severe voltage spikes which can cause a system to crash at any load level (even idle).

EDIT: Haven't had a chance to log back into the system again, have been using a fallback system and trying, desperately, to stay current on my work. When I'm officially done for the day, I'll resume my testing.

EDIT 2: Disabled ErP, tried again with previous settings: fail: BSOD before welcome screen. Reset all settings to Auto other than the ones I specifically require. Had a horrible scare when one too many reboots in a row confused my HDDs and the ICH10R, thought my RAID0 was broken, which would have been just awful.

Won't really know if things are good until I power down. Still at vRAM 1.500v, seems stable. No idea what is up with the timings and system misbehaving accordingly. Also, dropped Load Line Calibration back to Standard as per an article on Anandtech.
    Last edited by Kaishi; 09-15-2010 at 06:36 AM.

LLC is up to you to use, you do understand it correctly.

You do know you can use BIOS profiles correct? If not you can, up to 8 profiles with any settings you like, that way you can jump back to your known stable settings anytime you need to for work.

On the MAIN page of the BIOS press F11 for save, and F12 for load. Be careful when saving to not over-write your other profiles.

If you disabled ErP you should not have the issue powering back up that you described before, that is solely due to this setting being enabled unless you maybe have a faulty battery.

As for your stability issues otherwise, that is why I suggested things I did. I can't believe you were using auto with that memory configuration previously and remained stable, it's not very common at all.

As for LLC and Anand, that article is very old, and was published on a whim and has long since been proven to not be true, there was other issues at play that he did not mention/think of at the time.

It is fine to use LLC, I use it all the time and have for years without issues, even at massive voltages (Not that I'm suggesting you use massive voltages, just saying it's ok to use LLC, but again up to you but I wouldn't base my decision on the Anand Article) Here is a more relevant read for you on the subject.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...oadline&page=5

This also may be of interest to you or others reading this later (QPI/Vtt-Dram)
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=207972
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-15-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Lsdmeasap: Thanks for your help!

It looks like the ErP setting was the primary problem. Since I turned it back off, my CMOS is no longer clearing itself. However, in order to achieve my same overclock, I am finding my old settings are not as stable as they once were. I'm going to experiment with it a bit later, but for the moment things look alright. I boosted vRAM to 1.6v and QPI/VTT to 1.255v, no more bluescreens, but I haven't had a chance to run real stability checks yet.

I'll report back as I go.

Nice to see you were able to get that narrowed down to be ErP, the sad thing is I've tested this myself and see the exact issue on a few boards, and reported a few threads we have here with several other members experiencing the same and Gigabyte says they are unable to replicate any of our results.

Not sure why that is? Seems easily replicable to me, and happens 100% of the time when tested for a long enough period.

Ya you may not be able to use your old settings exactly, keep at it and you will get stable again.

Good luck with the tweaking and testing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nice to see you were able to get that narrowed down to be ErP, the sad thing is I've tested this myself and see the exact issue on a few boards, and reported a few threads we have here with several other members experiencing the same and Gigabyte says they are unable to replicate any of our results.

Not sure why that is? Seems easily replicable to me, and happens 100% of the time when tested for a long enough period.

Ya you may not be able to use your old settings exactly, keep at it and you will get stable again.

Good luck with the tweaking and testing!
    I ran my first stability check last night... system lasted about 30 or 40 seconds before hard-lock. It used to be 100% stable and could handle the test indefinitely.

Is there a solid guide for step-by-step overclocking here? I still know my VID from the last time, and I know the minimum voltage I need, but I want to roll-back a few steps and figure out what I really need to make it work. just don't want to fry anything in the process.

what is erp? does it give any blue screen codes? or is it just locking up and have to restart?? seemslike a memory setting/voltage setting or qpi/vtt related,what gpu do u have installed?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    what is erp? does it give any blue screen codes? or is it just locking up and have to restart?? seemslike a memory setting/voltage setting or qpi/vtt related,what gpu do u have installed?
    ErP is a European Union project to reduce power consumption by electronics. It makes the S0 state be more than soft-off, such that no non-powerbutton Wake events can occur, and the system draws virtually no current from the wall (less than 1 watt). This makes the system rely on the internal battery to store CMOS settings even moreso.

The problem with ErP is that it seems to cause the system to lose voltage to the CMOS for long enough to corrupt the CMOS settings, such that the system has to clear the CMOS in order to proceed with booting. It is extremely annoying when it doesn't work as intended. Maybe it only causes problems for overclocked systems.

Other than the weird CMOS behavior, no other problems occur. No crashing, no blue-screens.

We've solved that part of the mystery though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information