Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Drive on GB SATA 6 shows as first drive in disk manager

alternety is offline Member

Default Drive on GB SATA 6 shows as first drive in disk manager

Not really what I imagined. I assumed that port 0 of the Intel drive would be first, and that is where my boot drive is attached. I have a DVD drive on GB SATA 7 and another hard disk on GB SATA 6.

Does the OS work its' way down from the highest port when finding drives or is something else at work here?

Default Re: Drive on GB SATA 6 shows as first drive in disk manager

For those following this thread with bated breath, the dimwitted alternety and his friend Google have found an answer. MS knows, and has no solution. The disk drive numbers may not correspond as expected to the SATA channel numbers when you set up Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows 7 on a computer that has multiple SATA or RAID disks

This is not real slick. Especially when you have not given pet names to all the volumes. Is there no order in the universe? Grrrr.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That's odd!

I have drives connected to the SATA 6Gb/s ports and I've never observed this, it must be caused by something and does not happen every time they are used.

Yet another &#&$^*!!(*#* oddity. I have just completed a complete clean install. All BIOS disk devices set to AHCI.

When I plug in a drive it is not recognized until I go into device manager and tell it to scan for new devices. It rather defeats the point of me installing a rack with removable SATA drive slots.

This never worked this way with my original install (which got borked and long term screwing around trying to fix it is documented in various posts).

Stone tablets and chisels worked for a long time. Let's go back. Rebooting in that environment meant kicking the tablet out the door.

Sorry, I keep not being clear. Not 6Gb/s Port 6. First device on Gigabyte (GB) controller.

Ahh ok, I never use those ports for anything usually so I wouldn't know what to expect.

Port 6 is a SATA 6Gb/s controller port, if you are using a "A" model motherboard, just FYI as it may not be best to use for a CD/DVD drive.

Put your OS on port SATAII_0, and your CD/DVD drive on SATAII_4/5, secondary drive on any port between those

By "A" do you mean the A in P55A or a board version (like 1A)? I have a P55A-UD7, but my manual shows the 6GB SATA3 ports are 8 and 9. The ones toward the Debug LED.

What I have been trying to do is get one drive on the Gigabyte SATA2 controller. My thinking is that this can speed up auto backups a bit if I am keeping the drives on the Intel controller busy. Probably not enough difference to care, but why not make use of the resource? The OS putting the drive before my boot drive in terms of device assignment may be the answer to that question. I don't like that.

Ya, I meant "A" model boards, the newer revised ones with SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0.

Sorry about my confusion on your ports, your right! Not all of the boards have them separated like that, so I just assumed yours was the same as mine and I should have looked first.

That controller is slower in itself, so not sure if that would help your backups any at all or not anyway, it might make them slower.

It shouldn't matter how it shows in device manager though, as long as you have the drive you want set as the first boot drive in Hard Disk Boot Priority you should be fine

Just as I was juggling the drives around an new Blu-ray arrived at the door. Now I am out of ports on the Intel controller. I need to use one of the Gigabyte ports.

State of things:

All ports are set to AHCI, and Win was installed with that true. System will not recognize an SATA drive being plugged in. Have to reboot or tell device manager to scan for new hardware. This always worked automatically as it should on my original build.

Explorer does not show optical drive unless there is something in it. The only place I have found to set this behavior is set to show it even if it is empty.

Basic changes from original install. Newer BIOS (F7) and current drivers from this site. Anyone else having these issues?

I am still fiddling with drive position. Right now the Blu-Ray is in the highest numbered Intel ports. It is going to go to the first GB port and the DVD will go to the Intel port. I will see what happens in assigning drives and things.

It will be fine to put the Blue Ray on the GSATA ports, set IDE mode for those controllers in the BIOS.

Maybe something messed up during your install? You could try SFC /Scannow, or a clean install.

Thread Information