Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some problems, some symptoms, one clue

Default Re: Some problems, some symptoms, one clue

Windows 7

The memory is Corsair. I'm not certain what you mean by "link". As far as I can tell, Corsair doesn't have individual spec pages. Here is the blurb from the product data page (which includes data for many different part numbers).

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
    Speed Rating: PC2-8500
    Tested Speed: 1066Mhz
    Size: 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB)
    Tested Latency: 5-5-5-15
    Tested Voltage: 2.1
    Performance Profile: EPP
    SPD Speed: 800Mhz
    SPD Latency: 5-5-5-18
    Package: 240pin DIMM
    Fan Included: Yes (I have removed the fan because one of them was dragging and I though it might be putting a load on the mobo power outlet that feeds it.)
    I had tried AHCI while trying to get the two drives working and it didn't work but as I have found out and you have also stated, it requires some registry changes to work. I would be happy to hear about how to get it implemented.
    Start over?!?!?
    My computer doesn't work worth a crap with optimized defaults. It puts timing settings in place for the memory that simply do not work, fails prime95 within minutes and generates BSODs. It won't set the DRAM voltage high enough. Sets it at 1.8 and that doesn't work.
    A lot of the stuff in the standard CMOS page is from trying to get the drives working and, once they started to work after fixing the cable issue, I just haven't changed them since all was working.
    I can load optimized defaults but have to immediately tweak the DRAM settings to avoid constant crashes. If you look back through the old thread (don't bother, just saying) you'd see that this was discussed some back then. There was consternation and head scratching at the settings optimized defaults was applying. I can try it, but it didn't work well at all before.

Frankly, given 9 hours of Prime95 with no errors, I'm not too concerned about stability at the moment. I believe that all of the problems I was seeing that led to the current "project" were caused by the funky SATA connection. I was having random drive errors which was crashing Windows and then blocking reboots. Moving the boot drive to a new connector where the cable is not being molested by anything has, I believe right now, solved that problem.

It is certainly odd, though, that the BIOS has no information for the new Hitachi drive. The drive works. It's totally visible and functional in Windows. I made a complete system image from the boot drive and stored it on the Hitachi drive using Paragon Backup and Recovery.

I'm not saying I don't want you guys' help but I am saying I'm reluctant to go back to square one with optimized defaults as I know from past experience and from the last couple of days that they cause problems. I have saved the current BIOS settings so I can always get back to them.

Let's start with the drive settings and getting AHCI going.
    Last edited by wallypiper; 08-31-2010 at 07:35 PM.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    Bios version F10 dated 1/27/2010
    Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with the cooling fan supplied w/processor
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Seagate SATA Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB
    Hitachi SATA Deskstar 7K1000.C 1.0TB
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW
    Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Thanks, that was all I needed.

First the registry info. If you are using Windows Vista or 7 you can switch to AHCI by making the following changes in the registry, then shut down and enable AHCI in the BIOS.

NOT FOR XP

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    You must start from optimized, I did not say you need to use it, only to start there is all. So please do, then make the following changes plus whatever other changes you want or need to make, such as AHCI Settings, ect.

And no need to worry about loosing settings, you can save a BIOS profile if you want using F11 on the MAIN page (F12 is load), and also you have your settings written here too.

These would be optimal, but like you said you are fairly stable now anyway so using them is up to you for now, or you could come back to them later if you want.

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster Auto or fast
    CPU Clock Ratio 8x
    Fine Clock Ratio +0.5
    ---CPU Frequnecy 2.83GHz (333x8.5)

Clock Chip Control
    CPU Host Clock Control Disabled
    CPU Hots Frequency 333
    PCI-E Frequency 100
    C.I.A.2 Disabled

Advanced Clock Control
    CPU clock drive 800mV
    PCI-E clock drive 900mV (Will be set properly once you load optimized, please do that and don't just change this)
    CPU Clock Skew 0ps
    MCH Clock Skew 0ps

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance Standard
    X.M.P. Extreme Memory Profile Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch Auto
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) Auto  << Set 2.40B for 800Mhz or 3.20B for 1066Mhz
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1066
    DRAM Timeing Selectable (SPD) Manual

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time 5
    tRCD 5
    tRP 5
    tRAS 15

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD 3-4  or can be left in Auto
    tWTR 3-6  or can be left in Auto
    tWR 4-6  or can be left in Auto
    tRFC 52-62  or can be left in Auto
    tRTP 3-5 or can be left in Auto
    Command Rate (CMD) Set 2T

Channel A+B
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 (try 6-7 for stock FSB)
    Channel A Driving Settings
    Driving Strength Profile 1066 MHz

Channel B Driving Settings
    Driving Strength Profile 1066 MHz

Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    Load-Line Calibration Disabled
    CPU Vcore 1.15000V Auto
    CPU Termination 1.200V Auto  << Set 1.225-1.25
    CPU PLL 1.550V Auto
    CPU Reference 0.805V Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core 1.100V 1.200V  << 1.2-1.24 is normally good for 2x2GB, some boards this does not work on and you may need to test to see if yours is one of those.   Some boards need less than default for 4GB, so test 1.0-1.05 if you think your board might be one of the odd ones

MCH Reference 0.760V Auto
    ICH I/O 1.550V 1.550V
    ICH Core 1.100V 1.100V

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage 1.800V 2.100V  << Set 2.1 as you have

Reggie is offline Junior Member

I use that memory, Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D, on a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 which is an AMD motherboard. The EPP Performance Profile automatically sets the memory settings fine on that AMD board. Your Intel board uses Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) which is different from Performance Profile: EPP.

Optimized defaults don't automatically set the correct DRAM voltage and timings for Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D, so you need to set that manually after loading optimized defaults.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    I use that memory, Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D, on a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 which is an AMD motherboard. The EPP Performance Profile automatically sets the memory settings fine on that AMD board. Your Intel board uses Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) which is different from Performance Profile: EPP.

Optimized defaults don't automatically set the correct DRAM voltage and timings for Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D, so you need to set that manually after loading optimized defaults.
    The "XMP" is EPP and does just the same as your AMD board.
    Optimized defaults will set XMP to auto and memory voltage and timings as specified by EPP.

All is mostly good. Disks and disk system working fine. No crashes.

I'm occasionally having trouble with the keyboard and mouse. In Windows, in Device Manager, there are at least 12 entries relating to those two devices. I can disable them one at a time until I get down to maybe 4 and both the keyboard and mouse still function. If I remove the ones that are disabled, everything keeps working but on a reboot and maybe sometimes even without a reboot, they re-appear.
    Both keyboard and mouse are wireless with USB receivers. The mouse is Logitech. I've removed all the Logitech drivers and utilities and I'm just letting Windows load it's own mouse drivers, but not Intellipoint. The keyboard is Microsoft and I also let Windows load whatever keyboard drivers it wants for that but not Intellitype.

Both seem to have periods when they just quit communicating. Right now, for example, the keyboard is periodically not working. I type but no characters appear. Then it will just start working again.

I downloaded a little utility that was linked on the Logitech forums called DPC Latency Checker which is supposed to spot and display problems with signal latency but it doesn't show any problems. It's a bit of a mystery. Now, the keyboard is working fine. It's baffling but I think it's a software problem. I did learn that each USB port has an assigned portion of the available bandwidth and that if a device is plugged in to a slot that only has 10% or less as opposed to 20% (the most any seems to get assigned), there can be problems like I've had with the mouse and presumably with the keyboard also but that doesn't explain why it comes and goes. It's not the whole computer stopping. Just a second ago as I was trying to type "DPC Latency Checker", the keyboard was "frozen" but the mouse worked fine. I selected copied and pasted the words from the "Run . . ." box, no problem. But now the keyboard is acting totally normal.

I've posted some info over at Techsupportforum.com but not gotten any responses.

Mobowise, I haven't changed anything yet. Everything is working so good (except for the mouse and keyboard), that I'm leaving it alone for the moment.
    I'll get back into it and try the changes discussed above, maybe tomorrow or Monday.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Good to hear!

I use Intellitype keyboards (Ergo 4000, and Media Pro) and don't have any issues, so not sure what would be the problem there. Can you test with a wired mouse to see if you can get around the mouse issues?

I could, but I am addicted to the wireless mouse. I had a MS wireless mouse for a long time that worked fine but the left button wore out, I thought, so I replaced it. Now, it actually looks like the problems may not have been the mouse since this one is also suffering from some similar issues. I used to have both Intellitype and Intellipoint installed but removed them thinking there might have been conflicts with the Logitech software. I've had a lot of Logitech products over the years that have been great but the last couple (a marble mouse i use with my laptop and this mouse) have had issues.

It could be USB issues also since both are connected via USB ports. In my DM, there are 22 entries under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". That includes 8 Root Hubs, 8 Host Controllers, 1 Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver, 2 USB Composite Devices, 1 USB Mass Storage Device, 1 USB Printing Support and 1 listed printer. The actual connected devices are 1 printer, one keyboard, one mouse and one multi function card reader with 6 slots in it. The only thing I use that for is the miniSD slot for the memory card from my camera. It's a pretty anonymous device.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

I hear that, I have a MS Wireless I love, Blue Intellimouse 2.0. I got tired of always changing the battery on it and the button died for the third time (Same one as you mentioned) so I just set it in the corner for now.

I have replaced the button a few times, they usually last about a year for me. It's easy to change them if you want to do it, all you need is a solder pen/gun and a secondary dead mouse to take the replacement switch from.

A lot of the MS mice/KB I have used that are USB function fine connected via USB to PS/2 adapter, have you tried one of those for both devices yet?

No, I haven't. I'm sort of stubborn I guess. I want USB to live up to the promise. It drives me a little nuts when I have one mouse and one keyboard connected to USB ports and there are 10 entries in device manager under "Human Interface Devices". I can disable over half of them with no apparent loss of function for any device I'm aware of. But when I reboot, they all come back. Grrrrrr. What are they? Why are they there?

Maybe I'll try the USB thing and/or repairing my old mouse. I'm not fully convinced it was a hardware problem but your story of your dedication to and TLC for your beloved mouse makes me thing maybe it is. And right now, at this moment, both keyboard and mouse are functioning flawlessly.

That's the thing about Windows. Problems appear and disappear.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information