Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some problems, some symptoms, one clue

Default Some problems, some symptoms, one clue

For history of my machine, you can read this long thread.

As you can probably guess from the end of it, my system ended up stable. Since April I have had zero problems. Not a single BSOD or other error of any kind except for a mouse failure that turned out to be exactly what it sounds like, a failure of the hardware itself.

A few days ago, while I was away on business, my wife called to say the computer "was on that screen with all the numbers and at the bottom it says 'hard disk failure, insert system disk and press enter'" or roughly that.

I had her power the entire box down and restart and she got the same error so I told her I couldn't walk her through the next steps over the phone and to just power it back down and leave it till I got home (she's got a netbook she can use when this box is not available). Of course, this gave me heartburn. I routinely back up important data from my HD but a genuine HD failure is still a major pain.

However, the next morning she sent me an email saying she had turned the system back on and it booted and was working normally. Hmmmm. OK. Thanks.

So this morning, I got a BSOD "page fault in a non paged area" while just looking at email.

So I ran the Seagate test program (just the short version) with no errors. Then I ran Memtest86+ v4.00 through a pass with no errors. Then I ran Prime95 and got a fatal error on core 1 during test 5. "Rounding error was 0.5, expected less than 0.4." The high temp recorded by cortemp was only 69, which is actually the lowest high temp of the four cores.

So what does it mean? Glitch? Heat? (It's not hot in the room at all.) Power supply? Karma?
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    Bios version F10 dated 1/27/2010
    Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with the cooling fan supplied w/processor
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Seagate SATA Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB
    Hitachi SATA Deskstar 7K1000.C 1.0TB
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW
    Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D

Default Re: Some problems, some symptoms, one clue

PS - a new run has now made it through test 6 on all four cores with no errors, about 10 minutes. I know that's a very short test but it passed the point where it generated and error the first time. CoreTemp is reporting 75-68-71-72 with recorded highs of 77-70-73-74. I can hear the cooling fan stepping up and back occasionally. The test is still running but I'm going to stop it for now because I have other things I need to use the computer for right now.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

hmmmm. I'll do a little research on the Barracuda issue and see if I can update the firmware on my drive.

I've already considered getting another drive and doing RAID. Is that hard to do? Tricky in any way?
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Seagate says no firmware update is available for my serial number.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Chike is offline Senior Member

Core temperatures are high, especially that you are running stock I assume, are they the same when you got the machine stable?
    How about the ram, does it feel hot to touch?
    Are all case fans working properly?
    What is the ambiant temperature?

EDIT: what is "system" temperature, as reported by EasyTune or other software?

kick is offline Senior Member

You have had some history..
    I didnt read thru all the original posts,just the early and later pages.
    Id be inclined to go along with Chilkes ideas on temperature.
    Standard settings shouldnt give temps that high.
    On the fans.do u have any others aside from the cpu and gx card and the one in the psu?.
    Since the pc has been running awhile it might be time to do a "crud search" inside the case.
    Im sure your house is very clean .but if there is any dust in the air the pc seems to attract it like a magnet and that will reduce the cooling efficiency.

Did loading and saving "optimised defaults" in bios never work for you?
    I didnt read thru all the thread so maybe u did that before.
    Sometimes when you get a bsod the os will say hdd failure and it might be just corrupted data from the system lockup, but it needs to check the hdd ,or usb drive (if you use readyboost) anyway.

Other than that,check that all old drivers have been uninstalled ,nvidia ones especially used to have a problem with leaving certain bits in the registry.
    Do the dxcheck to make sure gx is ok.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Yes, those core temps are about what I saw back when the machine seemed to become rock solid last spring. All the fans appear to be working.
    At the moment, ET6 says the system temp is 41, but the machine is not doing much.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Its hard to answer the optimized defaults question briefly. Basically, when I load optimized defaults, I don't seem to get the BIOS settings that people expected to see. In any case, there are some settings that are not optimized defaults at this point. The very end of the long thread has some minor tweaks that were done at the end and a some earlier pages have images of all the BIOS screens. I have had zero, I mean absolutely zero, errors, crashes or even things that go bump in the night since the end of that thread with the exception of the mouse failure. It appeared at the end there that there were problems with the Nvidia driver but that seems to have been resolved. I have many fans. I am not using the fans that came with the Corsair memory as one of the three had problems and I decided that I would just try running without them rather than have a sitcky one pulling on the power supply trying to run. I have seen cases, not with PCs but with other fan cooled electronics, where a sticking fan would pull the voltage down far enough to create other errors.

Anyway, I have the stock CPU cooler, an exhaust fan on the back of the case, a supply fan on the side of the case and the front of the case and the fans built into the psu and graphics card.

I did find some cat hair built up on the side fan screen which I have removed. Right now, with nothing going on but the browser, Core Temp says the cpu is at 43/40/40/42 and ET6 says the system temp is 40 and the cpu temp is 33. ET6 says the cpu fan is at around 1440 rpm. It doesn't report any other fan speeds. I believe all the other fans are just full speed.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information