Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best RAM for my EP45 DSL3 setup, using Pro Tools LE

Default Best RAM for my EP45 DSL3 setup, using Pro Tools LE

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45 DSL3
    CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTS 512

I'm not sure I'll overclock this board (cpu/ ram), but I might. What is your best recommendation for really solid RAM to use when considering the software I'll be running?

Cheers!

~ Diggi
    Last edited by diggi; 08-29-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Best RAM for my EP45 DSL3 setup, using Pro Tools LE

Are you asking brands, or speeds, or what?

How much total do you plan to get, and how much do you want to spend?

I must apologize for not specifying some of this. I'm sorry.
    8 gb is the total I'll be acquiring. Cost does not matter as long as performance is there. Brand does not matter, but is there a brand that this board may fare better with. I'd like the fastest ram possible as well, with the ability to overclock the CPU to say 3.4GHz?

My sincere thank for your time, especially on a Sunday my friend.

Diggi

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

No problem!

At 8GB you may not be able to run 1066Mhz anyway, so a strong 800Mhz kit would probably be best, or just expect to underclock if you choose 1066Mhz kits. You can probably run 800-950Mhz easy with 8GB.

Do you have any favorite brands? Are you in the US? Let me know those things and I'll have a look around for you, if you are not in the US link me to your favorite store so I can have a look.

I am honored to receive your assistance. This is my first machine, and I hope to make it the best possible for my purposes.

It is my understanding that the more ram you install the slower it must run. Is this correct? If so, what is the cut-off to use faster ram? 4gb? 6gb?

The program I am using requires me to load audio samples into ram - (2gb-3gb at a time).

I am in the US, and I have absolutely no preference in brand, etc and money is not of concern.

Your help is humbling. Thank you!!

Run 4GB or 8GB only, if you do 6GB (3x2GB) it will run in Flex Compatibility mode, not exactly dual channel.

I could be having false memories there, maybe i used to run 800Mhz always, but don't think there is such dependence with number of dimms.
    I remember runnnig 1000Mhz with 4x2GB and it didn't require more voltage on Chipset or Dram, compared to 2x2, except that one kit 2x2 required 1.84, other 2x2 1.80V, all had to run 1.84V. 1066 is difficult, in case of a heavily overvolted memory, that is.

Maybe you should get green ddr2 1066 6-6-6 Cas latency and 1.6V Dram operating voltage instead of 2.1 or 1.8 that is common to dimms with such frequencies. This could backfire and not work at all,

I just wanted to mention the flex mode. forget what i said.

Thank you for your kindness and time. Both of which I do not deserve.

The RAM I have in my possession is 8gb (4x2gb) Crucial/Micron: MT16HTF25664AY-800E1

Is this a good choice for my board, or would I fare a lot better (in terms of performance) with another type/brand/speed, etc?

Like the folks here at Gigabyte, I too have no brand preference and only want the best for my needs.

Thoughts and comments please?

Thank you all.

~ Diggi

Chike is offline Senior Member

Is the system already built and you just looking better ram?

Indeed sir. Yes.

It is "just" built and I'd like to make this machine as good as possible - and would love to hear your thoughts, and perhaps your advice on overclocking with air cooling only.

My sincere thanks sir!!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Please post a screen capture of MemSet main and SPD(click spd) windows, as well as a screen capture of MaxxMEM² - PreView, and we'll see how you are doing so far.

Have you made any changes in BIOS M.I.T or are you using optimized defaults?

In general memory performance do not have much impact on performance, but it depandes on the application.

You can download MemSet from http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information