Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC hangs when detecting drives when Vertex 2e connected to Intel Sata sockets

Default PC hangs when detecting drives when Vertex 2e connected to Intel Sata sockets

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 (Rev 1) motherboard which has a ICH10R chipset, when I connect my new Vertex 2e 120GB drive to the Intel Sata ports the system just hangs when detecting the drives, it will hang on the port that the Vertex is connected to - see screen shot below.

In the picture above the Vertex was connected to port 5, it's detected that 4 devices are attached though.

I've currently got it connected to the non intel ports, but I'm not sure if they support Trim, or that I'd get better performance from the Intel ports.

I even tried it with just the Vertex connected and nothing else, same result though.

I've updated to the latest Bios (F10) for my motherboard, but still no joy.

My system spec can be found here listed under Desktop system.

I've also posted this on the OCZ forums

There is a bug with some Gigabyte boards when detecting whats connected, with this bug the hang is temp and if you leave it for somewhere between 3 and 10 seconds it will report a "SMART command failed" error and continue as normal. I left mine for 7 minutes and it was still hung.

I've tried different cables, clearing the CMOS, these made no difference.

I cloned my old Intel X25 Raid 0 array to this drive and it's been suggested that the cloning may of caused the problem. I can't remember, just have a feeling that at one point early on I may have had it plugged into the Intel ports and it didn't hang.

I really don't want to re-install, just don't have the spare time, but if it comes to it I could clone back to the Intel drive to maintain a working system, then HDDErase the OCZ drive and see if it cures the problem.

Anybody else come across this, could it be the cloning?

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Ronski; 08-30-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: PC hangs when detecting drives when Vertex 2e connected to Intel Sata sockets

you should put them on ports 0/1 maksure native ports are enabled for ports 1-3

update to this latest beta bios and try,i know theres been fixes for ssd controllers

http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/Bios/p55aud5f13a.exe
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: PC hangs when detecting drives when Vertex 2e connected to Intel Sata sockets

Thanks wazza300, I'll try the native ports thing, but that Bios is for the P55A-UD5, mines a P55-UD5. The F10 Bios is the lastest thats available, at least on Tweaktown anyway.

sorry for the error, i thought it was the p55a you had
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    sorry for the error, i thought it was the p55a you had
    Not a problem, got confused with that one myself a few times, wondered why it had gone from F8 bios to F13 so quick, then realised it was a different board,

did you install raid drivers or set to raid in the bios before you installed/cloned the os?
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What I would do to test your "Is the clone causing the issues" thoughts, is a clean install on the drive. Then you will know if it's the clone causing the issue or not, if it's not the problem then you can always clone back.

I suspect it's either the drive itself, due to the BIOS issues mentioned above, or the drive may have some issue. That's the only time I've seen hangs like this, faulty drives. But the SMART issues caused by the BIOS on these drives is getting more common, so you may need to wait for the fix for that issue to be added to the BIOSes for this board. P55-UD6 already has the fix since 8-6-10, so you may need to ask Stasio if he can get you an updated BIOS for P55-UD5.

wazza300, when I imaged my OS it was set to raid as the OS was on a raid 0 SSD setup, and it was probably still still set to raid when I cloned it to the new drive. After that I most likely turned off raid and set it to just AHCI.

Lsdmeasap, I'll pm Stasio and see if there's an update, or if he can find out. If not I'll re-image the drive, reset it (HDDerase) and see what happens.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Now that you mentioned that, you should also test with RAID Set in the BIOS now too. Your SSD will just be in single member non RAID mode, it's the best way to run a single SSD anyway.

I suggest you test a clean install first, before re-imaging it, this way you will know if your OS/image is the problem. I meant the image itself might be an issue, not the process, and I thought you did too.

I'm sure there will be an update for it, just not sure how soon, but they have been rolling out this update fix across many models over the past week or two so I would expect you should see it sometime soon.

Thanks lsdmeasp

I'll test with it set to raid, though I'm pretty sure I have, but to be certain I'll do it again.

I did realise that you meant a fresh install, I just wasn't clear in my reply - I need to keep a working system at all times, get major grief from my wife otherwise, and if I spend to much time fiddling with the PC I get told I'm neglecting my daughters

I'll clone to my spare intel SSD, need to know I can get my system working quickly before I erase the OCZ

Then I'll HDDerase the OCZ, plug it into Port 0 on the Intel connectors and see if it will get pass the detecting part, if so I'll do a fresh install, if that works then I'll restore the image and see what happens.

Thank you for your help.

PS Not sure when I'll get time, may not be until the weekend.
    Last edited by Ronski; 08-31-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information