Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-P43-ES3G + Q9300 randomly timed bluescreen...

Exclamation GA-P43-ES3G + Q9300 randomly timed bluescreen...

Hello,

I had an old rig such as:
    GA-P43-ES3G
    Core2Duo E6400
    4x1Gb DDR2 667Mhz
    ATi HD4890
    Chieftec 500W
    (2 HDDs and an IDE DVDcombo)

Haven't spent much time configuring the BIOS, never cared for tuning anything. So it was pretty much 'load optimal settings' and a few tweaks like USB keyboard, bootup devices and such... Nothing in M.I.T. menu.

I've bought a Q9300 just to make my MMORPG playing life easier... thats when the problems started. After installing the new CPU and clearing CMOS i made the usual load optimal settings choice. Win7 (32bit) boots up correctly everything was fine and then out of the blue -> blue screen, forced restart. I don't have any idea what makes the machine to reach the blue screen, because sometimes it was right after the bootup, bot other times I could stresstest with Prime95 for 15 minutes, or even ran PCMark. (These software can usually give me a blue screen in a few seconds though.)

Anyways I installed the old CPU and everything was fine again. Put back the new one... blue screens. I have Freezer 7 PRO, and it's not the temperature i've checked with CPUz and Real Temp (under load time: 50-60 celsius). It's not the RAM modules because i've tried with only 1 module (one by one). And I guess it's not the voltages because i've tried the following settings:

Robust Graphic Booster: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio: 7x
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio: +0.5
    --------- Clock Chip Control
    CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled / Disable
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): 333
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): Auto / 100Mhz
    --------- DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance: Standard
    ( G ) MCH Frequency Latch: 333 Mhz
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD): 2.00B
    System Memory Frequency 667 / 667
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD): Auto
    --------- Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU VCore (1.23750): 123750 - ~135000 V
    CPU Termination (1.200): Normal
    CPU Reference (0.805): Normal
    MCHCore (1.100): 1.100 - 1.300 V
    DRAM Voltage (1.800): 1.800 - 2.100 V

Can you guys thing anything other than bringing it back to the retails? They are on holidays so i tought i'd try to solve it myself...

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: GA-P43-ES3G + Q9300 randomly timed bluescreen...

Running Prime95's first test (which only stress-tests the CPU - almost no RAM used) seems to be working just fine...

But when i stress test them both at the same time, i get blue screen very soon.

I guess the my old RAM doesn't like the new CPU...

EDIT:
    Last edited by jander002; 09-01-2010 at 05:34 PM.

kick is offline Senior Member

Does the bios version you have support the 9300?
    What is the ViD voltage on your 9300?

Load and save the optimised defaults again after you get the blue screen.
    When u go back into windows after blue screen does it suggest you "repair"?

Defrag the hdd and remove the memory error reports generated after the blue screen.
    Perhaps turn off the 0.5 multiplier to see if that removes the problem.

Is the board running the same ram voltage as for the 6400?
    Use memtest to see if the memory is working ok with the cpu.

What windows version are you using.
    Is that the full bios readout?
    On my board optimised defaults enters nearly everything on auto.Does your board have auto settings instead of "normal" try auto.

Have you any non microsoft items that run on windows start up.. gx card overclockers ,utilities etc?, they might need to be reinstalled.
    Last edited by kick; 09-01-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Does the bios version you have support the 9300? Yes, from the very first bios. (I have the latest btw.)

What is the ViD voltage on your 9300? How can i check this one? I have everest if that works.

Load and save the optimised defaults again after you get the blue screen. Yes, also with fail-safe defaults. I used the optimal settings with the previous CPU for 2 years.

When u go back into windows after blue screen does it suggest you "repair"? Yes, but it wants to upload to microsoft to analyze data.

Defrag the hdd and remove the memory error reports generated after the blue screen. How can i remove that data?

Perhaps turn off the 0.5 multiplier to see if that removes the problem. Ok, i'll check it after this post, and will edit right after.

Is the board running the same ram voltage as for the 6400? I used auto for that cpu, so i don't know for sure. I've tried auto / normal and a great threshold with the new one.

Use memtest to see if the memory is working ok with the cpu. I just came back, it did pass without any errors.

What windows version are you using. Win7 32bit updated.

Is that the full bios readout? The full M.I.T. menu, the others have non-related things i guess, but if you want anything specific i'll post it.

On my board optimised defaults enters nearly everything on auto.Does your board have auto settings instead of "normal" try auto. Yepp full-auto / full-normal / full-manual i've done those.

Have you any non microsoft items that run on windows start up.. gx card overclockers ,utilities etc?, they might need to be reinstalled. I like to run programs myself so really the basics for startup like: avast home, ati catalyst (no oc), audio driver. Thats it.

Chike is offline Senior Member

The default shown in BIOS is the VID of the CPU.
    The rrors are always at the same addresses/bits?
    The E6400 operate at 266MHz FSB and the Q9300 at 333MHz, that put a bit more stress on the memory.
    You can try to underclock the Q9300 to 255MHz FSB and see if the errors persists. Don't forget to change SMM to 2.50A for 266MHz FSB if you do.

Yeah that did the trick... I mean the 266 overall FSB... So i guess it seems now that my old RAM modules cannot keep up with the new CPU

Oh gosh i forgot to check the VID but i've posted this earlier:

CPU VCore (1.23750)
    CPU Termination (1.200)
    CPU Reference (0.805)

Is this the one you guys looking for?

Unfortunately there is no way to underclock your RAM at 333MHz FSB to help it keep up as DDR-667 is the lowest possible for this bus frequency.
    Just to be sure and before you go into any further expences, can you borrow a 4GB DDR-800 kit, preferrably 2x2GB, to see there no other issues?

Question Re: GA-P43-ES3G + Q9300 randomly timed bluescreen...

I hope i can have a newer ram module for a day or two... In case that setup will work out, i'm gonna sell these 667 ones and buy something like you mentioned.

So for example if i manage to get my hands on a DDR2 800Mhz, what do you suggest i should use for overall FSB? I'd like to have a stable machine 1:1 FSB for CPU:DRAM. No overclock needed.

Of course it'd be great to see if this CPU can be OCd to FSB 400 but it's not something i plan to do, and if these 667 module couldn't take 2.00B * 333 FSB i suppose the same goes for a 800Mhz ones (with FSB 400 of course). Or that really depends how good and expensive they are?

It all depend on the quality of the ram anf it's compatibility with the board.
    My ram take 400MHz FSB without a problem, it can also be OCed to DDR-1066 with 2.12v, but it's only 2GB.
    A 2x2GB kit is more likely to work than 4x1GB.

Okay thank you so much for your help! Now i can try to solve this before the retailers come back from their holiday...

Is it possible to run DDR2 800Mhz kits at FSB 333 same as the native Q9300? Or should i try to find a working middle like 350... ?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information