Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H55 boards - large BIOS, hence slightly longer time to POST?

Default H55 boards - large BIOS, hence slightly longer time to POST?

Hi all,

Putting together my first s1156 system (GA-H55M-USB3), & i noticed that the BIOS is quite large (i.e. in storage terms); 3MB download, ~8MB for the actual image. Is this the reason why, when powering on, it takes a good 8 seconds from pushing the power button to getting the POST beep and a display from the screen?

FYI: i3 530, video set to onboard first, using VGA output at the moment for testing.

Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: H55 boards - large BIOS, hence slightly longer time to POST?

Na, it shouldn't affect things like that. I have H55N-USB3 with same 8MB BIOS and it starts really quick, it may be 8 seconds is quick to me too though, not sure.

Is this your first Gigabyte board? Are you using the very latest BIOS?

hey Lsdmeasap,

Yes, I'm using the very latest BIOS. I'm about to try re-flashing the latest BIOS then resetting CMOS with the jumper.

The reason I ask is i have many other Gigabyte boards ranging from G31, G41, P35, P45 and i noticed most of those have 4Mbit or 8Mbit flash (512KB and 1024KB size respectively). When these boards post, it's about 2, maybe 3 or 4 seconds for POST beep and signal to come up. This being my first 1156 setup, I noticed in the specs that the flash chips are 64Mbits (!), so that's 8MB (however, appears the current bios is only using around half of the flash, probably a lot of room left for updates from intel etc.).

So on your board, which i see is also using 64Mbit flash chip(s), (8MB), with your current BIOS using about 2.53MB (compared to my 3.20~ MB) of the flash, when you press the power button, do you get a POST beep and display signal within say 7-8 seconds?

The time to POST isn't a problem, more just a curiosity if this is the reason why it has increased compared to past generations. As long as it's considered normal, I'm not worried.

cheers

Nice to see you have other Gigabyte boards, I asked because that is one thing new Gigabyte owners often mention is longer boot times than "my other non-GA board"

I know the H55N-USB3 I have, and the P55, boot WAY quicker than my X58 so I was surprised to see you mention these as having a slow boot time. The BIOS for the H55N-USB3 is the same unpacked as yours 8MB.

I'd have to connect my monitor and test how long it takes exactly, I'll do so later today and let you know what I see. My X58 is LONG, maybe 15 second or longer before I see the initial screen come up, I know the 1156 is super short compared to it, but I'll time it out and let you know.

I have to say, that blows my theory out of the water - i see most X58 boards seem to have 2x 16Mbit (2MB) flash so if your X58 takes a while to POST, that doesn't really correlate with my idea :(

That would be appreciated mate. Heck, even if you don't connect the monitor (HTPC/media pc?) just power it on and time how long til you get the POST beep (which should be literally at the same time as the display comes up from experience). Eitherway, thanks :D

Ya I really don't think the size of the BIOS has anything to do with boot times, it's all about what's connected to the board, what BIOS settings are used, and the BIOS itself.

You tested your board with everything disconnected to see if it's the same or obviously faster? Maybe a USB Device or something is slowing it down?

I'll test for ya later today and let you know.

K, just checked for you 12 seconds from the time I short the on/off pins until I see something appear on the screen. Monitor response to power on/off may also have something to do with it a little bit, but I doubt it?

Using 875K and a 4890 via VGA, nothing else is connected to the board at all, not even kb/mouse.

If you want me to restest and time from on to single beep I can, still setup just let me know and I'll find a speaker

pretty much there's the bare minimum installed, just the board, ram, cpu and power connections. i do have 3x usb headers connected, the 1394 header, hd audio etc. but there's nothing plugged in anywhere, so no devices except a ps/2 keyboard. i just reflashed F7 (latest) and reset cmos with a jumper. then booted, and loaded optimised defaults, and it's around the 10 sec mark.

I'm not worried now that you tested your h55n-usb3 and it's similar - Cheers. most likely if you had a speaker, youd hear the beep at about the 8-9 sec mark i reckon, and yep, the monitor response to the the singal coming in, hence monitor firing up and displaying few sec later would be expected.

to go offtopic, out of interest, can you test one more thing for me please? :D
    Firstly, which BIOS is running on your H55N-USB3?

it's related to this thread (see my reply for what i found) http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-p55a-ud3.html - basically if you press reset button (quickly) vs (slowly) do you notice any difference on your H55N-USB3?

cheers LSD

I've recently moved from a P45 Gigabyte board to a P55A-UD4 and can confirm that it does take slightly longer to post, usually around 7-8 seconds before the magic "**BEEP!**". Upon pressing the power button it takes a good 3-4 seconds before the monitor is even activated. There is also a small delay when the board displays "Loading Operating System" before Windows begins to start. On a mechanical drive this could be explained away but I'm running SSD's and they are rather nippy. Comparatively my EP45-UD3P did not have any of these delays.

I don't find it bothersome TBH and have used an MSI board that took even longer to start the initial POST sequence. The only time it becomes annoying on my P55 is when booting from CD/DVD. I do this twice a week to image and occasionally to restore full performance to my SSD's. For some reason the P55 board will sit at "Loading OS..." for a good 10 seconds before it will procede to boot from the CD/DVD. Again, a trivial matter but it happens none the less.

One thing to double check is that you've disabled all the integrated stuff you don't need as well as what you've already done, ie not plugged in many peripherals. For example I have disabled the following unused stuff in the BIOS:
    Parallel Port
    Serial Port
    IEEE1394 (Firewire)
    IDE controller
    E-SATA Controller
    Gigabyte Sata Controler/Sata 3 Controler

If your board has two LAN ports you can also disable one of these if you wish.

Also, have you tried using Quickboot? I used it on my UD3P but it was a bit iffy due to it being retro fitted via a BIOS update. I'm sure the 5 series boards work well with the feature as they were likely tested extensively at the design stages to function well with Quick Boot. I'll try it when I have my 4GHz OC dialled in (minimum voltages etc)
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I actually tried (disabling literally everything, onboard serial, Gigabyte sata, firewire, usb3, sound, network, etc) but that didn't appear to have much bearing on the POST time. Note that once the system POSTs, everything is hunky-dory. I figure those thing initialise in miliseconds, though when it comes to loading drivers within windows, that's a whole other story (i.e. disable unused things for faster loading).

I'm going off track, but I noticed that "Loading operating system..." delay thing and after some thinking, have a possible explanation:

on P35/P45 boards (specifically EP35-DS4 & EP45-UD3LR), I noticed if you enabled Intel AHCI mode, when the Intel AHCI bios kicked in (screen comes up showing the port connections), it seemed to initialise the ACHI devices again (gave the appearance that the drive had been power cycled or soemthing). This would be problematic if you were trying to boot from DVD/CD. If you had a disk in the drive, after the Intel AHCI boot screen, it seemed to just completely miss the fact there was media in the drive. I determined the only way i could get it to boot from DVD/CD media when AHCI mode was on, was to hit F12 for the boot menu, then wait about 10-15 seconds at the device list (until my Pioneer's drive light went off) before hitting enter on either "PIONEER DVD" or the generic "CDROM" from the bootlist. Only then would it boot. Otherwise, it seemed to just skip the drive and go to the next boot device, which was typically the HDD.

Now that's a pretty limited testing above, and it may have been specific to model Pioneer DVD drive i had (DVR-215) as admittedly it was a common denominator between the P35/P45 based systems mentioned above. However, with my new 1156 setup, it has a Sony Optiarc DVD drive. I find it too coincidental that now when ACHI mode is enabled (same Intel AHCI BIOS 1.20E), that the system now has a built-in wait of about 10-15 seconds with this "Loading operating system.." screen immediately after the Intel ACHI BIOS is initialised. I believe this may have been done (as it's only present when AHCI is activated) to mitigate the issue from P35/P45 above. Unfortunately, it appears to mean there is a delay if you set the first boot device to "CDROM" or if you try to manually boot from a DVD/CDrom drive.

I think this delay is probably unavoidable (at least perhaps for Gigabyte boards) but at least it is automated, unlike the above method where i had to manually boot F12 with DVD/CDs.

Out of interest Psycho101, did you ever have trouble booting with P45 board and DVD/CDs (critically, did you use AHCI?)

edit: forgot about quick boot - been ages since i used that. I tried it out and that just seems to skip the actual post screen/BEEP.
    Last edited by ozeh; 09-09-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information