Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-X58A-UD3R USB 3.0 ports crashing Win7 64 bit?

Default GA-X58A-UD3R USB 3.0 ports crashing Win7 64 bit?

Greetings everyone,

I just installed a brand new GA-X58A-UD3R board and am having a problem with any USB device crashing Windows 7 64 bit. I can plug in any device to the other two onboard ports, and it works fine. I can plug in USB devices (a thumb drive) no problem with the header connected to one of the blue USB headers on the motherboard. If I plug in anything to the USB 3 plugs on the back, the machine will usually crash right away with a Stop 0x3B pointing at NUSB3XHC.sys driver. I tried updating the NEC driver from the Gigabyte website with the latest 2.0.4.0 driver. It changed the brand name from NEC to some name starting with R? Can't remember off the top of my head. I thought that fixed it, as I plugged something in, and it didn't crash... until I ran my program that scans what USB devices I have, then it crashed again. I have tried several USB devices (USB Syncrosoft dongle, MIDI interfaces, etc.) and they all make it crash upon plugging it in.

I can avoid using the USB ports I suppose, but I'd prefer to rule out the problem first, since I just got this board. I currently have the FA April 2010 BIOS installed. I did notice the FB bios says something about USB3 Legacy Support, and I'm wondering if that'll cure my problem? I really hate doing BIOS flashes unless I REALLY have to. Anyone have any insight to what the USB legacy update is in regards to? Trying to do some searches in this forum, but the main BIOS update thread is a bit unwieldy at 350+ pages.

A few more details -

i7 950
    Mushkin Blackline 8-8-8-24
    EVGA GT210 on PCIe16_1 slot
    Thermaltake Purepower RX W0143RU 550W
    Windows 7 64 bit Professional (updated to the latest for everything from MS)
    DSP audio processing cards in PCIex1_2 and PCIex8_2.

All devices are detected and the Device Manager is clean of errors or problems. I have not and will NOT be overclocking this system. The memory is at 1066Mhz. I have taken Auto for all BIOS settings in regards to speeds and voltages.

I appreciate the help!

Devon
    Last edited by DevonB; 09-13-2010 at 08:28 AM.

flyfisher is offline Member

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R USB 3.0 ports crashing Win7 64 bit?

I just tested using latest beta BIOS FC1, Win7 64 bit and Renesas 2.0.4.0 driver. I only have a USB thumb drive and an SD card reader to test but they work fine. I would try the BIOS update, it is simple with QFlash, see the sticky at the top of the page. I also updated the USB3 controller firmware to 3.0.2.5.8, you may also want to try that if you haven't already.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree, I'd go ahead with the BIOS update for sure, as the one you are using is old and an initial release with many bugs likely.

Please use Qflash, DO NOT USE @BIOS, here is a guide
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

You should also install the firmware update as mentioned above, not posted at the Gigabyte site.
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...02108FWUP5.zip

A BIOS update alone would likely fix your issues though as the initial BIOS is always buggy.

I tested the firmware you linked flyfisher, and it is newer, but they named files inside wrong so it does not install properly.

*Edit*, tested again without self extraction, it installs fine!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-13-2010 at 12:38 PM.

I tried the official FB BIOS, and the same problem. Heck, it won't even finish booting to the OS I found out with things hooked up to the USB3 ports. From there, I did load the Fc1 BIOS, and now it no longer crashes... so far. Before, I would get the yellow triangle of DOOM on the USB3 stuff under the USB tree in Device Mangler. Now, it says normal and finds my devices. Yippy! So, I'm hoping this is the fix. I'll continue to fiddle faddle with the system, and hopefully this is the end of it!

Although I really do hate having a beta BIOS though. :? Thanks guys!

Devon

Unless you have a device that is USB 3.0, the "3.0" part doesn't even come into effect. If you hook up a USB 1 or 2 device it's just as if it were a non-3.0 port, there is no performance increase or anything like that.

If you don't want to use the beta bios, I can tell you the f5 BIOS has been working fine for me. I'm not running any 3.0 devices but I do use the ports.

Beta BIOS is fine man, trust me!! Even when a final is posted, it's the same as a beta only renamed.

The last beta that is made that is stable without any reported issues, is then renamed to a final, so you are really always using a beta :)

If you have Rev. 2.0 board you can't use F5 BIOS that is mentioned above, just FYI for both of you and or anyone reading this later.

Oops. I didn't catch the version number. My bad.

No problem, just posted that in case anyone reads this later mainly

Quote Originally Posted by faust1200 View Post
    Unless you have a device that is USB 3.0, the "3.0" part doesn't even come into effect. If you hook up a USB 1 or 2 device it's just as if it were a non-3.0 port, there is no performance increase or anything like that.
    I completely understand that. That wasn't my concern though. I was concerned because now I literally had 2 USB ports that I could use for nothing because it crashed the machine no matter what I had plugged into them, and I have a *LOT* of USB devices to plug in. Every port is precious to me. :) Fc1 at least fixed that, so we're good. :) I was also concerned there might be a hardware issue that would lead me to RMA the motherboard, and better to do it now with NewEgg than later with Gigabyte.

Devon

Thread Information