Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R - Random but frequent reboots

Default X58A-UD3R - Random but frequent reboots

Well, after I finally get my USB3 problem fixed by flashing to Fc1 BIOS, now my machine randomly, but frequenty reboots, usually within about 5 minutes of being up. The manual recommends a 550W power supply, and that's exactly what's in it; a ThermalTake 550W power supply.

System specs
    6 gigs of RAM on 3 sticks Mushkin
    i7 950 No overclocking at all, everything at factory defaults including memory at 1066.
    2 DSP audio cards
    EVGA GT210
    1 1TB WD Black HDD
    1 DVDRom

My gut is telling me underspec on my power supply is my issue. Other thoughts before I plunk down 100+ on a new 700W PSU?

Devon

Default Re: X58A-UD3R - Random but frequent reboots

i dont think its power supply,more likely a bios setting like not enough or on auto setting for qpi/vtt voltage,try with 1.3000v or near to it for qpi/vtt and then see if its still reboots

set your memory speed and timings to spec aswell by adjusting the system spd memory multiplier and selecting quick for the channel timings and typing in the timings for example 8-8-8-24 command rate 1T,but put in the timings according to your ram

just want to add i ran my system on a 300w psu till my 1050w arrived,it ran 100% stable for a few months so i doubt its your psu
    Last edited by wazza300; 09-16-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree, it's probably BIOS settings.

Can you tell us your Mushkin Model # and I'll give you some settings to work with.

A new PSU would be a good investment though, especially if you have some cash to spare, just don't buy a cheap one as it is the most important part of your system.

Duh, I should have also mentioned the event log is saying Event ID 41 KernelPower as well. I'll give the voltage bump a try tonight.

The Mushkin Blackline Model # 998681 SPD settings for the XMP comes up exactly right with Multi at 12, 8-8-8-24 1T with a QPI/VTT of 1.325 I think and a Dram volt of 1.65V as I recall. I was more interested in getting stability first, of course. I am also not clear of its impact to the rest of the system on an i7 system. Any good suggested reading premiers on the math and how the settings interact with each other would be great. With only having the stock cooling on the CPU, I'm a bit nervous to push it too far. I'm also a guy who usually only touches the settings when I completely understand its impacts too.

Oh, and suggestions for quiet replacement CPU fan that FIT on this board would be very welcome too. :)

Devon
    Last edited by DevonB; 09-16-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Oh, and I was looking at the CoolerMaster Silent Pro M 700W PSU. I will not be doing SLI or any video card tricks. I got an EVGA GT210 so I could have fanless video card, and this system will *NOT* be doing games whatsoever, only audio processing work. Silent and stability are my two top priorities.

Thanks for the expert help guys, it's appreciated.

Devon

Ahh ok, if you are using XMP and not having issues then you may be ok. If you would still like me to give you some manual settings let me know.

Check the guides listed here for some info on what settings do what
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...56-1366-a.html

Yate Loon's are cheap and quiet fans, Gelid Fans are also quiet. I am sure others will chime in on fan choices, I just know how those are as that's what I'm using now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh ok, if you are using XMP and not having issues then you may be ok. If you would still like me to give you some manual settings let me know.
    I will gladly take suggestions. :) I just noticed that the SPD was actually working as advertised. I've had DDR SPD come back with timing speeds that were not 'as advertised' on the box and had to manually tweak myself. I merely looked at what XMP was reporting in the BIOS, I never booted to the OS.

Without a CPU/Memory ratio setting like much older boards with the old northbridges, I wasn't sure what adjusting the multiplier from 8 to 12 for 1600MHz ram was going to do to the CPU, so I was just being conservative until I understood its impacts. I appreciate any information you can shed on the subject, but I haven't done my homework adequately on the subject yet either, and respect your time.

Devon

Ahh ok, I thought maybe you were already using it.

You will need to adjust a few things to run the memory at 1600Mhz, memory multi, then uncore multi which must be 2x memory multi but can be above that if you want, then QPI/Vtt voltage will need to be adjusted until you find out what is stable for your CPU.

Give it a whirl, and then if you need some help give me the full settings you are trying in a template from my signature and I'll advise back.

I'm on my way out right now, but if you dont want to try it without advised settings I'll be back in later tonight and I can just give you a full set for stock Bclk with ram at 1600 if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    i dont think its power supply,more likely a bios setting like not enough or on auto setting for qpi/vtt voltage,try with 1.3000v or near to it for qpi/vtt and then see if its still reboots
    Ok, I set it to 1.295v, same problem. If it sits in the BIOS, no problem. If I just bring up the raw OS and let it sit there, it's ok. (it's actually been fine this whole time I've been typing this up) It's when I tried installing a large application twice that it crashed, and when I tried using the application I plan on using that it crashes and that's occured now 3 times, no warning, just monitor goes black and it reboots. The BIOS settings are pretty much all set as auto otherwise. I had just flashed to Fc1 to the settings were at default anyway. I have just moemnts ago turned off the C1e and speedstep junk.

I would prefer to not throw money at this problem when I don't need to. :( Any ohter ideas? I'm open ears and welcoming further comments.

Devon

Oh, when it crashes, I hear a click, the same click when it powers off normally. I'm guessing it's the hard drive, so it's certainly power cycling completely when it crashes.

Devon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information