Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok. I am a noob, and I need basic help

Default Ok. I am a noob, and I need basic help

Hey guys, I was referred to this forum because I am looking for some help on how to OC and was told the community is awesome and would help out a noob like myself.

So basically I understand the very basics of what overclocking is, but I have never done it before and I am a bit afraid to break something haha. I have a q9550 and I am looking to see if I can get some more performance out of it, as I have heard over and over again it's a pretty easy chip to OC. Below are my specs

q9550 2.83ghz core 2 quad
    GTX 460 1gb
    4gig DDR2 ram (Kingston HyperX DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Cas Latency 5 )
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L
    windows 7 ultimate 64bit
    700watt PSU

I game a ton and I am just trying to see if I can get some more out of the chip, so I don't have to go out and buy an i7, new motherboard and ram.

I really am a noob and I apologize for being dumb, but I'm just looking for some help on what kind of bios settings I should use, etc, etc. Thanks in advance!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Ok. I am a noob, and I need basic help

Welcome aboard.

Please read this post and post additional information as explained in steps 1-4.
    The EP45-UD3L can OC nicely a C2D processor, no idea how far it can take a C2Q, I guess we're gonna find out.
    What is your OC goal if you have any?

To anyone that is brand new to OC'ng: Don't forget to make sure you have suitable cooling to OC. As a rule of thumb, you should have something better than a stock cooler to OC. However, it is certainly possible to OC with stock cooling...just not advised.

Thanks guys. Below is all the info you should need ( to start off I am hoping to do a small increase and get the chip to around 3.2ghz )

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Ver 1.1
    Bios: Award Modular Bios v6.00PG
    Intel Core 2 Quad q9550 2.83ghz
    Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 ( 4gigs )
    EVGA GTX460 1024mb GDDR5 SuperClocked
    OCZ ModXtreme 700watt PSU
    Zalman Copper CPU fan/heatsink
    Antec 900 case
    LG W40 series @ 1920x1080

Attachment 2887

Personally, I don't like to use Windows based overclocking programs. You're really putting your hardware at the mercy of the OS. Fortunately, Windows 7 seems more stable than OSs in the past and I've never tried Gigabyte's softawre. If you find that it is causing any issues, you should make the changes in the BIOS...and like i said, I'd do that anyway.

after OC'ing don't forget to run prime95 and try to see if it's stable....

Quote Originally Posted by faust1200 View Post
    Personally, I don't like to use Windows based overclocking programs. You're really putting your hardware at the mercy of the OS. Fortunately, Windows 7 seems more stable than OSs in the past and I've never tried Gigabyte's softawre. If you find that it is causing any issues, you should make the changes in the BIOS...and like i said, I'd do that anyway.
    I'm planning on doing it all in the Bios. I only provided the easy tuner info because I was asked ( it gives the voltage ). Thanks!
    ------
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Ver 1.1
    Award Modular Bios v6.00PG
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Antec 900 case

Some info is missing in the CPU tab of CPU-Z, do you run the 32bit version on 64 bit Windows or vice versa?
    Can you post the exact part/model number of the memory?
    What is the Zalman HS model number?

Run some benchmarks as a baseline for comparison, MaxxMem, IBT/LynX with 3GB of memory (or max stress level) (GFlops), and video benchmarks.

EDIT: your current BIOS is F8, there is a newer BIOS F9 that lists enhanced memory compatibilities, recommended that you update. Do not use @BIOS to flash BIOS, use the BIOS Q-flash utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Some info is missing in the CPU tab of CPU-Z, do you run the 32bit version on 64 bit Windows or vice versa?
    Can you post the exact part/model number of the memory?
    What is the Zalman HS model number?

Run some benchmarks as a baseline for comparison, MaxxMem, IBT/LynX with 3GB of memory (or max stress level) (GFlops), and video benchmarks.

EDIT: your current BIOS is F8, there is a newer BIOS F9 that lists enhanced memory compatibilities, recommended that you update. Do not use @BIOS to flash BIOS, use the BIOS Q-flash utility.

hmmm not sure what happened there. I re-ran the program and it got all the data. Below is the screen shot.

This is the ram that I bought : Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4G

This is the HS:Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

I will run some benchmarks and repost once I get them. Hopefully this is enough info to at least get me started. thanks for all the help guys!

Attachment 2888
    ------
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Ver 1.1
    Award Modular Bios v6.00PG
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Antec 900 case

Ouch 2.2v DRAM, I hope that does not mean they heat too much.
    I myself install MOS-C1s on the mosfets, just in case.
    Lets try get the memory at it's rated frequency.
    Before everything load optimized defaults, then make the following changes in BIOS M.I.T:
    Code:
    Performance Enhance ------------------- : [Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier -------------- : [3.20B]
    DRAM Timing Selectable ---------------- : [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time -------- ?? ---------- : [5]
    tRCD  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [5]
    tRP --------------------- ?? ---------- : [5]
    tRAS  ------------------- ?? ---------- : [15]

Channel A
    Static tRead Value --------------------- : [7] <<< try to lower later to 6 or 5

Channel A
    Static tRead Value --------------------- : [7] <<< try to lower later to 6 or 5

MCH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [1.16v] << increase up to 1.24v if needed

DRAM Voltage ------------ 1.800V ------- : [2.2v] <<< might need a bit more
    The computer may be cought in boot loop due to wrong settings, DO NOT PANIC.
    Turn the PSU off press the power button and wait for about 20 seconds. Turn the PSU on and power up. After 1-2 attempts the computer will boot. Enter BIOS M.I.T (a red warning will show up) make changes save ad reboot again. You may need to repeat this process more than once.

It is recommended to run at least one pass of memtest86+ before starting windows, then an hour of Prime95 large FFT stress to test stability.
    Run the MaxxMem to compare memory performance.

To capture one window only make it active and press Alt+PrintScreen key.
    Windows 7's Paint has a crop funtion that let you "crop" a selected are (and delete all the rest from the image).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information