Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58-UD3R rev2 i7 950 CPU Overvoltage LED indications?

Default GA-X58-UD3R rev2 i7 950 CPU Overvoltage LED indications?

I am putting together a new system with the following specs:
    GA-X58A-UD3R (2.0) - BIOS version FB
    Intel i7 950
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 rev2 CPU cooler
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB
    G.SKILL Ripjaw 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 - 8-8-8-24-2N
    MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC GeForce GTX 460 768MB
    Antec Earthwatts 650 power supply
    Antec P183 case

I initially tried using a Seasonic X650 Gold power supply, but it died and the Antec was all my local computer store had in stock - I didn't want to wait for a Newegg delivery several days from now as I need to get work done on this system.

I put it together and everything seems to be working fine - I have win7 x64 pro installed and haven't had any issues.

But... two of the CPU Overvoltage LEDs are lit up on the motherboard and I am concerned about that.
    CPU_LED2 = yellow (level 2)
    CPU_LED1 = green (level 1)

The CPU Vcore is 0.912 volts at idle which seems well within the specs, so I am not sure why the overvoltage leds are coming up. I am using all the stock timings from the CPU and loaded the XPD profile for the RAM. I've attached a screenshot from CPU-z if that's is of any use.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the CPU overvoltage LEDs mean and whether I need to be worried about them? The user manual is quite vague on this subject and I didn't turn anything up in a search of this forum.

I can replace the power supply if necessary, but am already on the second one and would rather not go through the hassle again. I am using the system for photo work mostly and don't plan to do any overclocking or serious gaming.

Happy to supply any additional information necessary to troubleshoot.

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: GA-X58-UD3R rev2 i7 950 CPU Overvoltage LED indications?

your fine, do you have DES on ?

I think you get this indication because your CPU is using very low voltage! But nothing to worry about.
    Btw nice chip, lowest idle vcore I saw for i7, what is the vcore reading in bios in voltages section? what is the batch of your CPU?
    i7 920 D0 | UD7 F7r MOD | 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600 7-7-7 | HD4890 | WD 1TB | Antec Quattro 850w

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Actually, it's probably your QPI/Vtt because you are using XMP.

Install Easytune and check the Tuner tab, advanced voltage I and you will see Target QPI/Vtt voltage and that will be the actual applied voltage.

aqua his cpu is in power saving,thats why its low freq and voltage
    every cpu does it if you have all c-states enabled or use windows power saving profiles

idle

load

^^ thats where to look in eastune for your voltages,look at the target values to see what the board is actually using
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my stock idle, but my chip seems to use very low voltages. Its needs tons of qpi but not that much vcore. But ive never heard of less voltage would cause those lights to come on.

maybe the board is damaged or up for RMA...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    this is my stock idle, but my chip seems to use very low voltages. Its needs tons of qpi but not that much vcore. But ive never heard of less voltage would cause those lights to come on.
    As I mentioned, QPI/Vtt voltage will cause the LED's to come on, for sure! Raise QPI/Vtt to 1.4 then 1.5 and you will see, it will get red :)

So that is why your LED's are on, nothing to worry about, just try to lower the QPI/Vtt if you don't want them on.

Lsdmeasap was right it was the QPI / Vtt voltage. I guess when I set the memory to use the XMP memory profile in the BIOS it automatically upped the QPI voltage - when I checked it in EasyTune it was showing 1.41 Volts - seems kind of bogus that the XMP would automatically kick that up beyond Intel's recommended max (which was somewhere just above 1.3 as I recall) without any warning.

When I brought the voltage down the LEDs on the motherboard did go out, but I got a BSOD in Win 7 a little while after since I hadn't changed anything on the memory settings. I went back into the BIOS and hit "Load Optimized Defaults" and the memory came up at 1066 MHz.

I checked the timings in CPU-z and Easytune to see what was recommended for the memory - strangely to me they differed (see screenshots below)Attachment 2892. I ended up going with the timings from CPU-z for 1333 MHz (9-9-9-1T). So far so good with the memory voltage at 1.5V. I ran Memtest for an hour and half and didn't get any errors, so hopefully it will be stable.

I am a little concerned the several hours of running at QPI of 1.41 volts might have done some long term damage - guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help!

For some reason I couldn't attach this screenshot to my last post. Here are my current voltage settings:
    Attachment 2893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information