Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel unsure about: QPI/VTT 1.48...QPI PLL 1.4

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: I feel unsure about: QPI/VTT 1.48...QPI PLL 1.4

Try running Prim95.. Some people fine other stress programs better then other or have their own method to their by playing certain games. For me 25 passes at full memory of linX is good for me. I dont call my system stable until I can do anything I want while overclocked.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Well, that was rather inglorious. My IBT-stable system crashed attempting to install its first driver.

I am going to try to reinstall W7 with my overclock but with a bit lower BCLK.

I guess, in a way, I am testing my system stbility by installing the operating system.

Is P95 really all that different from IBT?

Well, Acebmxer,

I installed W7 with a nearly identical overclock and everything went well this time... as far as I can tell. The only difference now is that my BCLK is now 172 instead of 175. I even installed my drivers without any trouble.

I think you are right. If you have a truly stable overclock, then you should be able to do anything on it without corrupting data...

i back Acebmxer on that statement about stable overclock no corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSESTEEL View Post
    I guess, in a way, I am testing my system stbility by installing the operating system.
    That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I'm not saying it to harsh on you at all, but so that others will hopefully consider it a cautionary tale :)

Hello, faust1200.

Now, now. Be fair. I spent an entire day stress testing and ensuring that my system is stable. But the moment I popped in a disc to re-install an OS, everything went nuts.

This is what I think may have happened. What I have gleaned from the internet is that stress tests try to force a memory error between RAM and the cpu. But I think my overclock may have influenced the BIOS's auto voltage function to alter the frequency of my drive ports. That's my only explanation for what could have happened. How can the system be stable, without accessing SATA connected drives, and utterly unstable the moment it does? IBT must have ensured that the cpu and RAM communicated with each other properly. But I wonder if that has anything to do with SATA and USB and PCI-E.

At any rate, another bit of stress testing showed that my system is also stable with BCLK of 172--as it was when it was set to 175. The only difference is that I can now install the os, drivers, programs, and customize and use them.

Now, you tell me. Would you trust IBT if you were me?

;)

Right now, I am going to install some more of my programs because I need to get some work done. I'll stress test my system again later this week with P95 and see if I get a good grade there, too.

:)

Hello, sin0822.

I, too, am happy to learn that I can install my os with a decent overclock. CPU frequency now is down to only 3.61GHz at 1.225 VCORE. And RAM is now lowered to 1720MHz with timings of 9-10-9-24 on a V of 1.64.

BTW, are temperature and V related? I mean, can you actually run on lower V if you can cool your components better? Or is the relationship merely that cooling a system better allows you to run at higher V?

Quote Originally Posted by ROSESTEEL View Post
    Hello, faust1200.

Now, now. Be fair. I spent an entire day stress testing and ensuring that my system is stable. But the moment I popped in a disc to re-install an OS, everything went nuts.
    I hear ya. I guess I never had an OC that failed on an OS install, but I can definitely see it happening to me as you explained it. Also, sometimes I forget this is a Tweaker forum and not the actual Gigabyte forum (which look almost the same) and I treat advice as if people are looking for stability above all else, but they're really looking to tweak (duh). :)

yes they are voltage related, but somewhere someone did a test and it seems on the core i7 the temperature is more frequency related, as in 4ghz at 1.3v is hotter than 3.5ghz at 1.3v. But other than that voltage is a giant factor in temperatures.

Oh and yes if you cool your electronics well you can run lower voltage, when i keep my temps between 35cidle-58c load i can run 4.5ghz 1.42vcore stable, when ambient is too hot, as in ove 30c, compared to 27c earlier, then ineed more voltage. Only a little bit more, in that situation. BUT when i had my phase change cooler and i could go to -48c load, i was able to use the same voltage for 4ghz on my Pentium 4 to do 4.7. That cooler allowed me to get the world record for my pentium 4 561 at 5.3ghz at 1.6-1.7vcore.
    Last edited by sin0822; 09-28-2010 at 03:42 AM.

The reason I ask about V and T is this: I do my longest stress testing at night, obviously for convenience. T is much lower then. But my overclock is unstable in the afternoon, when T is higher.

BTW, My Prime95 stress test was apparently successful while I slept. I chose the "blend" test. I then turned off the computer--which included turning off the psu. Just now, when I returned to my desk, I moved my mouse USB connection from the back of the computer to the hub on my Ultrasharp. And I started up again. That's when I heard the long beep at the Gigabyte logo, which tells me that something has changed in the BIOS, likely Vs determined by auto function.

I experienced this several times before, after long successful tests on IBT. Whenever I hear this long beep at the logo screen after a successful stress test, the system inevitably crashes.

And yes, once again, after a long successful test on P95, the long beep preceded a crash.

In fact, when I reset my BIOS, I crashed again, though when I reset, the system was alright. There was a long beep between the last reset, too, even though I had set everything back to auto and default. This makes me think that it is auto Vs that are likely the cause of all these crashes after successful stress tests, including the memory mess after the 20-run maximum IBT test.

But then again, I might be mistaking the meaning of the long beep. It might be possible that the long beep represents the temperature warning from the BIOS PC Health setting.

It could be that when I complete my stress testing, I have not given the cpu enough time to cool down with the fan spinning. So when I shutdown and the fan stops, the cpu is unable to cool down properly and it suffers from very high V until I restart my computer. This may be why the long T warning (if this is indeed the T warning) beeps only at the logo screen and goes away after the fan has spun around for a few seconds. Perhaps, I may have damaged the cpu at this time.

What do you make of this?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information