Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I feel unsure about: QPI/VTT 1.48...QPI PLL 1.4

Default Re: I feel unsure about: QPI/VTT 1.48...QPI PLL 1.4

Well, I'm thinking now that I probably permanently damaged something.

Probably turning off the computer too soon after running P95 may have toasted something. I keep thinking that this wasn't the case after the IBT, though. I gave it plenty of time to cool down, then. I'm sure of it. But now, my confidence in my memory is a bit shaken. It may be because we are just about at the end of our mini-heat wave here, but the cpu is running about 10degC hotter than it used to. This is the indication I take to mean that I toasted the cpu or motherboard. What an expensive mistake on my part if it was my mistake to turn off the fan too soon after testing.

I can run my cpu at stock. But I don't know if I will be able to run my memory at stock.

Pity. I was so close.

This thread has a happy ending. For my system. Not for my ego. :p

The problems I had with my system were high QPI/VTT and a system that passed stress tests but which caused data corruption on the next reboot. Finally, earlier this week, the computer began failing. I was afraid I had toasted my components trying to overclock and stress test. I also had to consider whether I had a bad part somewhere.

It turned out that none of my components got toasted, that I had no bad parts, that all these problems were related, and that a mistake on my part was the cause.

So, here's what happened. I have a huge, heavy budget cooler: the Scythe Mugen 2. I thought the easiest way to install it would be to flip the cooler upside down, so that the base faced up, and then to drop the motherboard on top of it. I would use the four backplate screw holes to guide the motherboard. I would then add the backplate and screw the sandwich together.

This method, which seems to be the only way a single individual may install this particular cooler, led to a mistake on my part, which could have resulted in serious damage to my entire system. The problem with this plan is you can't see what's happening unless you have an elaborate system of glass and mirrors or video system. On my first installation attempt, I used the credit card spread method of applying Arctic Silver 5, which is actually not what the maker instructs--they recommend using the single line method for the i7's. While installing, I believe I bumped the Mugen 2 several times against the X58's main heat sink, which several times diverted the intended path of the motherboard as I was trying to guide it onto the Mugen 2.

The result was that, just off the center of the cpu, I somehow ended up scraping a large "T"-shaped area nearly clear of thermal compound. This was my near-system-fatal error. Another discovery was that a piece of dust seems to have come between the chip and cooler such that it seems to have become fused to the base of my cooler. Truly, I do recognize that my performance is a failblog-worthy candidate.

Fortunately, I did not see anything wrong with any of the gold contacts on the cpu, in the socket, or on any of the memory sticks.

So, I believe that my stupid error was the reason I needed to apply such a high QPI/VTT. This was the reason stable stress tests resulted in data corruption on the next reboot. And this was the reason why my system ultimately began to fail. I believe this error was the cause of all the problems because my voltage and multiplier BIOS profiles are now radically different after reassembly.

After reassembly, using the single line method to apply thermal paste and making sure I did not bump the Mugen 2 during installation, I spent two days to discover that all my components are still healthy and functioning properly. I found that my system memory multiplier is no longer stable at 10. To my happy surprise, setting it at 8 brought complete stability to my system and an end to data corruption. Temperatures are back down to what it used to be. And I am now working on my bios to get the best overclock at voltage levels I am comfortable with.

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice here. And I hope you won't all think that I'm a total bone-head. :p

I have two last questions.

I am now able to overclock my cpu pretty high now while also maintaining high memory speeds and all at safe voltage levels.

(1) Is keeping BCLK between 200-210 safe?
    (2) Is keeping cpu frequency at around 4GHz safe? Or is keeping the VCORE under 1.35 the only thing I should keep in mind? Right now, I am running at 3.8GHz at ~1.33V.

first off what cpu multiplier are you using that you nee 200-210 blck for 3.8ghz? second off its safe if the voltages are within limits. You shouldn't need 1.33v for 3.8ghz but it is safe. 4ghz is attainable with 1.35 in most cases.

Hello, sin0822.

--"first off what cpu multiplier are you using that you nee 200-210 blck for 3.8ghz? second off its safe if the voltages are within limits. You shouldn't need 1.33v for 3.8ghz but it is safe. 4ghz is attainable with 1.35 in most cases."

I see I deleted some information from my above post.

CPU Clock Ratio...x19
    Uncore: Memory...16:8

Switching back to 16:8 and properly applying thermal compound is allowing me to lower Vs and maintain stability. Lowering Vs and testing are what I am in the process of doing right now. I am lowering Vs by two-three steps. In other words, the Vs I needed to be stable before is now much higher than I need. And at 1.33 VCORE, I am noticing that I can either stay at 3.8GHz and lower VCORE or raise BCLK/cpu clock ratio. With System Memory Multiplier x BCLK at 8 x 200 = 1600, I would need to raise VCORE to overclock my memory. I am still stable below my Corsair's rated V (now 1.58) and I think I may have room to go much higher.

If the only safety concern is VCORE, then I think I will take my cpu to 4GHz or more.

well id say your alright with 1.35-1.4v as long as you can handle the heat, id say your going to max on temperatures before vcore.

Thanks for the advice, sin0822. :)

Hello. I am back. :(

Everything seemed to be going great. So I decided to try playing a game. I popped in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword. And after about 10 minutes of play, the pc would shut down. This happened both times I tried to play. The game is still in the early phase, so there was nothing graphically intense onscreen.

This is a new problem--I no longer have data corruption issues. What is the likely problem if the pc shuts down during light gaming? Is it VCORE? Bad psu?

1.3VCORE...3.8GHz.

I use multiple user accounts as if they were multiple desktops. I use one user for work and another for play. Do you think this should matter?

what gpu do you have again,and what qpi/vtt voltage? did you manage to look at cpu or gpu temps before it shut down? i dont think its user accounts,you could try running it in vista or xp mode maybe that would help?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psu is PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad

Quote Originally Posted by ROSESTEEL View Post
    psu is PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
    what graphics card? and have you tested with another psu? does it do this on all other games? or just that game?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information