Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: p55a-ud6 making PSU make screeching noise when C1e/EIST on

alternety is offline Member

Default Re: p55a-ud6 making PSU make screeching noise when C1e/EIST on

From what you say, I would like to refine my guess. Remember, just best guess knowing how some of those things work. If vcore is being dynamically adjusted, it is probably capable of making some large and very fast load current changes together with any other pieces of the chip electronics (e.g., suddenly more cores active, memory active, etc.). A bunch of the switching power supplies you see lined up around the cpu socket (all those little cores and transistors) suddenly change what they are doing. And a lot of them are are changing essentially simultaneously. That current spike is then presented to the single switcher in the PS. This happens very quickly. There is probably a disparity in the speed of reaction to the current changes. When the power supply tries to adjust it is creating the conditions for the power supply noise. If the control loop in the supply is not fast enough, the switcher could get suddenly way off in switching speed. Reacting to disk activity is sort of surprising to me, unless it happens when tied to a serious CPU power change or if the power supply is at the edge of the relevant bus supply capability. I would suggest trying another power supply. It is probably the fault of the PS. It just can't react fast enough to what the mother board is trying to do to conserve power. Maybe Seasonic (Corsair) or brands at that level. Not saying your supply is crap; just maybe not quite what is needed. Internal implementations vary. Keep in mind that gold certified efficiency is not a performance number; it is a minimum. Some make the low end and some get into the 90%s. That can account for a fair amount of power over time in your quest for efficiency. Some of the Seasonics had the highest claimed efficiency I could find. Some of the possible ways to improve efficiency could also give better transient response time; which I think is the root of the problem. The fact that you can make it go away by reducing the dynamic power management range on the MB really points to the PS in my mind.

I suspect that the BIOS people could slow down some of those transitions and eliminate the problem at the expense of a little more power consumption. Enough, rather than every single milliwatt we can because we can. But if you can find a PS that does not make noise; probably get results faster. Maybe poke around some of the threads where other people are having noise issues and compare PS notes. And look for people doing pretty much what you are, and not having problems. See if there is a brand/model that does not make noise under those conditions. Hope this is helpful.

wazza300 got in before me while I was typing, but what he says is consistent with what I am saying.
    Last edited by alternety; 09-24-2010 at 07:03 AM.

some psu's are better insulated against electromagnetic leaks,i think its that whats causing the noise,ive only got a cheap psu unit,and ive read about it happening on asus brands too,you need to ask users or google on the hx power supplies,if its still does it then it could be mb
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi alternety,...

here is the power supply I use

currently, I have this PSU hooked to radeon hd 5870 by 2 PCI-E power cables..
    and I have another 1 sata power cable that I have hooked 2 hdds to it...
    and another molex power cable that have 2 12v fans hooked in it..
    thats all...
    the remaining 4 fans are connected to the motherboard fan headers

regarding which activity produce the problem..
    well there is an activity that I am able to reproduce the noise with evey time i try which is just opening internet explorer and scrolling a page up and down with the mouse wheel,
    it does not produce the sound If I scrolled by left clicking and holding the slide bar and sliding up/down... I have to use the wheel to reproduce the noise..

also If I have the internet explorer window in the foreground and move the mouse around it into whatever webpage displayed on it, It reproduces the noise but quieter

from the searches I've done around this matter on then net, I've seen that some people were having this problem with some corsair PSUs and were able to get rid of the problem either by using another brand PSU, or another brand Motherboard!... so I am clueless

edit:
    i noticed why scrolling with the wheel produces the noise in the psu, and scrolling without the mouse wheel does not...

I opened CPU-Z and compared the difference while doing both things..

scrolling with the mouse wheel: makes the CPU goes to full speed from 9x multi to 20x multi.. accompanying the voltage raise
    scrolling without the mouse wheel: does not raise the multiplier and the cpu stays stepped down...

also tested moving the mouse around the internet explorer web page, makes the cpu go full speed, and thus the noise..

how mouse movements supposed to raise the multiplier and make the cpu go full speed ?!
    Last edited by pink_waters; 09-24-2010 at 04:54 PM.

you mean noise like this? although this is pretty extreme compared to mine

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUk7NJDT9vM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUk7NJDT9vM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

yeah, its pretty much like it but quieter, and in some conditions,..
    I don't hear it when using the mouse overally...

just in some activities... but yours is pretty loud..

Quote Originally Posted by pink_waters View Post
    yeah, its pretty much like it but quieter, and in some conditions,..
    I don't hear it when using the mouse overally...

just in some activities... but yours is pretty loud..
    no thats not my pc its someone off youtube with the same problem only worse,mine goes if i disable c1e and use balanced in win7
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

so what really causes this problem, is it a concern?
    is it a hardware fault, or I should worry about..

also, in this case, shall disabling c1e is a must, or it doesn't matter?
    and why nobody is taking steps to address this issue in all boards?

idk,it doesnt damage anything and disable c1e if it helps reduce/stop the noise and yeah its a majar flaw in my opinion with these boards which no one seems to be trying to fix,maybe they cant fix it without a board re-design? as its something to do with the power saving components/chokes,it shouldnt make any noise no matter what type and make of psu you install,i have a hp pentium d which is totally silent and has an asus mb in it ironically
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

alternety is offline Member

I believe the base problem is the PS control loop slew rate not keeping up with the dI/dt generated by some advanced MB power reduction techniques. I also have to question the actual benefit of extracting these last few watts in overall power consumption. Collect data for an accurate cost/benefit calculation and decide.

Bigger picture, first one has to decide whose fault it is. Are the mother boards doing something that falls outside the relevant specs for the motherboard form factor and Intel's processor set? If so - it is the PS designers fault.
    If the MB design exceeds applicable power specs, it is their fault. Note that "power specs" includes things like max dI/dt on specific power buses. Intel specs that for processors. Determining this will require a firm understanding of all applicable specifications and conditions (e.g., capacitive loading, trace current density vs volume, trace/wiring inductive component, connector ratings, standard deviation and acceptable tolerances of all the specs and actual devices) and a good lab.

The fact that is it dependent on the specific MB-PS combination suggests maybe one or both products are at the hairy edge of a spec.

Bottom line. The MB people are probably not going to change it for you next week. If the BIOS can fix it, they could. If they "fix" the BIOS, it may not be much different that what you can achieve by not insisting on invoking one of the controllable options/parameters. Getting a MB-PS combination that works can happen tomorrow if you have a nearby store. And if you wish to spend the money to guarantee you can have all the MB parameters set as you have decided you "must" have. A new PS or MB or both are your only solutions that you personally can control and implement tomorrow (or however long it takes to try all the combinations). I would try some different PS first. Cheaper, easier, less overall chance of creating more problems than it fixes.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    i havnt heard any complaints from folks with a corsair hx psu but i cant say that it will be 100% silent either
    Zero noise or at least it was too low to be detected on a HX1000.

I have exchanged the HX1000 to a AX1200. If I really pay attention (stick my ear next to the case), I could hear a very tiny noise from the PSU (equivalent to the noise that a cellphone charger would make).
    i7 870 (4.08GHz) / Crosair H70
    4 x 2GB G. Skill DDR3 2200MHz CL7-10-10-26
    Gigabyte P55A-UD6
    2 x MSI HD5870 Lightning II
    4 x OCZ Vertex2 60GB in RAID 0 (OS)
    1 x VelociRaptor SATA3 6GB/s 600GB (games)
    1 x WD BLACK SATA2 2TB (storage)
    Crosair AX1200 power
    LG 8X Blu Ray rewriter
    Plextor 24X DVD rewriter
    Lian Li PC-60FNW
    Lamptron TOUCH fan controller / Noiseblocker PK-3 / 2 x Xigmatek CLF-F1454

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information