Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hardware/Driver Failure (!?)

Exclamation Hardware/Driver Failure (!?)

I typed this using my old Acer laptop. Here's the story: I was surfing the net last night while listening to some music (FLAC). Suddenly a hiss, then artifacts of green dots are all over the screen and my PC stopped responding. Those dots then transformed into short wavy lines.

When I restarted the PC, white boxy artifacts covered the entire screen during the POST message and boot screen. When I got to the login screen, the green wavy lines persist. However, the PC still hung after my attempt to login into my account. I reboot several times, sometimes it was green wavy line, other times it was thin green lines crossing each other or just green dots at the login screen. Windows failed to load a few times (the screen remained black after loading screen) and sometimes it succeeded, but still I couldn't login into Windows.

In the final reboot (I don't know how many times I did it already), I got a BSOD. It said about a file named "nvlddmkm.sys" and there's a message: "Attempt to reset display driver failed and recover from timeout". Correct me if I'm wrong but the NV in the filename should stand for "Nvidia".

So this could be either driver or hardware problem. But the drivers is the latest version (258.96) and it was installed a few months ago. Why would it fail now? Is it really hardware related? A few hours earlier, my cousin was playing CS on my PC and everything seems fine. The card is a 2-year old Zalman Edition 9800GT (GV-98TZL-512H).

So anyone know what's going on here? Driver or software problem? Should I blame Nvidia or was this failure inevitable? If anyone got some ideas or solutions, I would love to hear it... before I either disassemble my PC in a futile attempt to fix it myself or just send it straight to the shop.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Hardware/Driver Failure (!?)

Quote Originally Posted by hujan86 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the NV in the filename should stand for "Nvidia".
    Google is man's second best friend.

The hiss suggest a hardware failure. No burn smell or smoke?

I've opened the casing and examined the card & other parts. Nothing. Not the slightest hint of burning.

sounds like your video card is doneso, but you can always fresh install, maybe your registry is ****ed.

Thread Information