Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ga-p55a-ud3 - usb3 help

Default ga-p55a-ud3 - usb3 help

Hi all, new to the forums, hopefully someone can help!

I can't get USB3 speeds to work on this motherboard. I had a tough time getting it to work on an older XP install. The controller was active but speeds were slow. It finally sped up after I installed a USB3 driver from another site. The utility said it was "updating USB3 driver" rather than installing a new one. ?

Either way, I got a new HD, (sata6), and reinstalled XP. Now the USB3 doesn't work again, and I've tried every bios option imaginable (to me). I've tried bios F9, F10, F11. I've tried updating USB firmware. I've updated chipset drivers.

The odd thing is, when I plug in the external, I get the message "data will transfer faster if drive is plugged into a hi-speed USB 3.0 port." So it seems that the drivers are installed, but the drive isn't recognized as USB3? It worked just fine a week ago.

Any help? Thanks.
    Last edited by wheaties; 09-26-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Default Re: ga-p55a-ud3 - usb3 help

The USB 3.0 ports are controlled by an NEC chip. You have to install a separate driver for these ports. Perhaps, the driver you installed is improper for the Gigabyte board.

Go here.

Downloads - GIGABYTE

Choose your board's proper revision. (1.0 or 2.0) And then choose your OS (XP 32 or XP 64). Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. And download the NEC driver, which is currently at rev. 2.0.4.0. It is a 5.62MB file.

It may be the case that the driver you are using is not fully compatible with your motherboard. Completely uninstall every other USB 3.0 driver from your system. And then install the officially supported driver. See if that helps.

Also, make sure that you have enabled USB 3.0 Controller in your BIOS.

These are the only two suggestions I can make for you. Pardon, if they were of no use.

:)

Thanks for the reply. I tried the correct drivers to no avail, even after reinstalling XP.

Last week I tried installing an add-in usb3 card. Somehow the non-functioning on board gigabyte usb3 began working after installing the card driver. But now, both the onboard controller -and- the add-in card won't function. So I'm thinking that the external enclosure must be bad. Or could it be a faulty cable, perhaps?

When I say it doesn't function, I just mean that I'm getting USB2 speeds only.

Maybe you might find something in this link that may interest you.

USB 3.0 Testing on the Gigabyte UD3R and UD6 | Overclockers

Here's an excerpt from the review.

“There are two ways that our USB/SATA 3.0 works: one way is Turbo mode where it uses PCI-E lanes to communicate directly with the CPU for best performance. The other way is through the P55 chipset where it is limited to PCI-E gen 1 speed (2.5Gb/s) – when turbo mode is disabled. The point is that Gigabyte P55A boards are all about options: we provide options for the user to decide if he wants 5Gb/s SSUSB for high-speed backup or if he prefers SLI/CFX while still enjoying USB/SATA 3.0 – albeit at a lower speed. And in auto mode the system will decide for the user, i.e. if there is a 2nd VGA card then SLI/CF takes precedence, but if there is only 1 VGA card and a device is plugged into a USB/SATA 3.0 slot then superspeed data transfer takes precedence.
    Key to our design is the DMI bus (10Gb/s) between the CPU and P55 chipset because any device that is connected to the chipset (audio card, RAID sub-system, even the drive with your OS) will have to share that bus. So if you’re loading the chipset’s SATA, USB 2.0 and PCI-E bandwidth then it makes sense to use Turbo mode. Adding a bridge chip (such as the PLX chip) doesn’t provide extra DMI bus bandwidth, so there is a potential bottle neck!”
    - source in Gigabyte Co. Ltd.

I've only got one video card and I've tried using usb3 turbo mode. Still getting usb2 speeds. I'm going to try a different enclosure today to see if that makes a difference.

Ahhh I finally fixed it. It was the stupid enclosure that stopped working. I've spent days trying to troubleshoot the computer itself, and all this time there was nothing wrong with it. I'm just glad to know that I'm not completely nuts.

wheaties - Hi I have the same problem as you with USB3. Please write exactly how to solve this issue. Thank you in advance for your help.

Thread Information