Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Incompatability: Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 and P55A UD4?

Default Re: Incompatability: Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 and P55A UD4?

Awesome, so now I wait for a new bios.

Maybe.....

According to their reply, they can't replicate the problem. Maybe the people LSD is in contact with are different and will hopefully be able to experience the issue for themselves.

I'm going to install the set tonight, leave the PC off then boot strait to Memtest86+ tomorrow morning (Saturday). That way I'll have photographic proof for them.

By the way, if anyone's interested, along with that response they also sent two pictures, one of the RAM installed in the board with the labels visible and another of a 5 hour run of Memtest with zero errors.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I'd assume they are the same people testing, but I haven't heard back on my end again yet.

Have you guys tested one stick at a time for cold boot issues, maybe it's just one stick that is faulty in some way causing the issue?

I never did Memtest86+ when I noted the issue, so not sure if that is a valid way to test for these issues?

I assume it probably is though, I'll have to test and see. What they need to try is booting to windows from a cold boot and see if that fails or not, just to be sure they are reproducing what we've been discussing.

At stock and with XMP (DDR-1600 7-8-7-20) Memtest is OK from a cold boot, but LinX fails. I'll re-test over night but I'm 90% sure Memtest when at 191x21 and DDR 1528 gives a fail.

I've not tried cold booting with a single stick. Not sure what the outcome would be, maybe the issue would even stop. I remember you saying that at triple channel your sticks are a right old car crash, so maybe the problem gets worse as paralel channels are added? I can give it a go, but it'll be a few days because I only have this machine up at the moment.

Agreed, Should I mail them and ask them to try an 8 hour cold boot right into Windows and get them to run a 3 pass of LinX?

Like we all know, hardware testing can be complicated. I was thinking it could be the multipliers I'm using. I vaguely remember several issues with some Gigabyte P55A boards and the 8x RAM multi. However, we also all know what the internet is like. People only tend to post feedback when they have a problem, so that could just be a very minority of people having fluke trouble with the 8x multiplier, meaning 99.99% of people have zero issues, even with an OC.

If Gigabyte can't get to the bootom of things I think my first call will be to kindly ask Corsair if they will do an RMA. I'll link to this thread and explain and hopefully RAM-Guy(s?-- I'm sur it's not just one person using that username :) ) will agree.

If it's the same people testing, it's nice to see some good internal communication and that they "took over" my support message. I like that, even if the first message was less than useful. Gigabyte support sure has improved since I last had to use it (~1999).
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

That's what kinda concerned me, I was not even using memtest but rather going on failed boots into windows as a clear sign there is problems.

Yes, please test cold boot with each stick one at a time, into windows if that is where you could easily see a problem. I know that is how I noticed the issue, unable to boot into windows with BSOD within a few seconds of hitting the desktop, if it even made it there.

Ya, that sounds good, ask them to boot into windows cold and then if they can even load LinX 3 tests should be good.

I haven't played much with my P55, but I haven't noticed any issues with any random multi's though, but I've also not had a chance to try this kind of memory on it either.

I'd see if they will RMA for you, and if so possibly another model if they can't get this resolved via BIOS updates.

I do think it is the same people getting back to you at Gigabyte, at least the guys testing that is as, then they would update my contact with results and he'd let me know. I'm sure he's just been busy, or didn't reply to me directly yet because he saw that they had already got back to you directly with testing results.

They do have great support and customer relations for sure, I've only seen good things 99.9% of the time!

For me one stick is absolutely fine, running them as a pair, no matter the timings or volts, it fails to run memtest or cold boot and pass anything. :(

Thanks Chad, is that one stick meaning both tested separately at cold boots as well (4-8 hours down time)?

Maybe there is some issue with certain batches of these chips then possibly? But since your heat spreaders are glued on that isn't something you guys can check into.

I can run both sticks by themselves in almost any configuration (timings and BCLK), and yes the single channel will boot in the AM, but the dual channel fails after both sticks pass and on cold boots. When I add the second stick is where things loose stability.

Ahh ok, thanks for the added info.

Psycho, can you test single sticks one at a time for cold boot issues? Thanks.

I got word back on my end, and they said maybe your kits were not programmed correctly? Meaning XMP programming or otherwise I assume.

And they said they are also still testing as well.

I have been wondering about the SPD. I noticed that when i do a CMOS reset and i set the XMP, then return to bios there are no timings in the left colum and the right is set to auto as usual. If I boot my Tridents or my Patriots, they have timings listed. Maybe that is the answer.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information