Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: wiring fans for x58-ud3r

Default wiring fans for x58-ud3r

hi, i have been searching the web and found out this is the "official gigabyte usa forum"
    so this is my first time here.
    its my first time building a computer and i would like to know how the wiring goes for a gigabyte x58 ud3r motherboard
    all my parts are coming in this week and just want to make sure before i make any big mistakes
    parts for my build are
    haf 932 case amd edition
    cooler master silent pro 850w psu
    i7-930
    gigabyte x58-ud3r
    gigabyte gtx 460
    kingston hyperx 1600
    kingston hyperx fan
    1gb hard drive
    cd/dvd burner
    thermaltake frio with two fans install

i want to know how to wire up all the 3 case fans, two heat sink fans, memory fans onto the board. is it better to wire the fans on the mobo or connect them directly to the power supply. the wires on the heatsink fans are kind of short and can i connect them to the northbridge fan header and cpu fan, they are 3 pins, and if i connect fans to the mobo do i need to change any bios settings.
    sorry for the newb questions as this is my very fist time building a computer.

thanks in advance for anyones help.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: wiring fans for x58-ud3r

Well there is several fan headers on the board, so you may be able to use many of those fans connected to the onboard headers.

CPU fan connect to CPU fan of course, and your memory fan you can probably connect to either PWR fan or SYS-FAN1. Then the other fans will be up to you to decide where to connect them based on where they are in your case and how long the cables are.

In the PC Health section of the BIOS you will have a few options for fans, PWM, Voltage, or Disabled. With WPM or Voltage the cpu fan, and one of the Sys-Fan headers if your BIOS offers, will be controlled by the board and will go up or down in speeds with the temperature. If you set that to disabled, they will run at 100% all the time.

Good luck on the build, let us know if you have any issues setting things up!

hello again
    im having problems with my fans now.
    my intake fan on my cpu cooler thermaltake frio stopped working, it was plugged into the cpu header fan
    my exhaust fan on my case is also not running at spec speed, Rear: 140 x 25 mm fan x1 / 1200 RPM / 17 dBA, it was going half that speed going around 500-600 rpm, i checked in the bios, and used speedfan and other fan monitoring programs to check

in bios, i enable smart fan, enable beep error for dead fans, turn fans from auto to voltage control.
    the first time i changed this, the case speaker fan came on, making a long lasting beep. i restarted the cpu, clear cmos, reseat the fan plugs
    all the fans connecting to mobo are working now, but the exhaust fan is still running at around 600 rpm when connected to the mobo, even when i connect it to a 4 pin molex, the air pressure coming out is very weak, didnt seem a big difference from plugging in the mobo or the psu

all my fans are 3 pins, can the mother board control 3 pin fans and make them speed up to max or lower them, or does the fan have to have variable speeds to be able to do that, my 2 frio cooler fans has a y split connecting to a manual control, i took off the manual controls on both but was unable to see the fan speeds change from the cpu as it heats up,

i want to know if the mobo can control speed fans that are 3 pins using voltage control
    and if my exhaust fan from my case was rated at 1200 rpm shouldnt the mobo read it at that speed and not at 500-600 rpm, it reads 600 rpm the same in speedfan and other softwares
    is it a faulty fan, and why would one of my cpu cooler frio fan just stopped working, cause it was working for a few days now,but now its up and running again, strange
    First time build was a SUCCESS for now

Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD edition
    Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev. 2 bios FB
    Intel Core i7-930
    GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460

Kingston HyperX 6GB KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX

Kingston HyperX Fan
    Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler CLP0564
    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB
    Cheap LG 22X cd/dvd lightscribe

pwm fans need 4 pins,i think you can control 3pin fans by voltage,or try disabling it altogether and see if the faulty/slow fan runs at full speed

cpuid-hwmonitor is a good program to control fan speed too

http://www.cpuid.com/download/hwmoni...itor64_116.zip

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/4/...or1161Beta.zip

right click the fan you want and set between 0-100% speed
    Last edited by wazza300; 10-21-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Wazza says, 3 pin are voltage controlable, but not PWM, unfortunately. Sounds like Smart Fan is throttling back your exhaust fan. This is normal behavour and is controlled by the various temp sensors on the board for CPU temp, board temp and in some casses, case temp.

Personally I disable any auto fan controls and use in line resistors (available in all good online component stores) to tailor the fan speed to my needs. The common choices of resistor cable reduce the standard 12V to 9V, 7V or 5V. Note that all fans have a minimum voltage at which they will start, any lower and the fan will fail to spin up. Also note that the "starting" voltage may be higher than the voltage you can reduce an already spinning fan down to before it will stop. What I mean is, say you have a fan that starts with exactly 4V. You could start it on 12V, then reduce voltage via a potentiometer to 3V before it stops spinning. However feeding the fan 3V when it's stationarry means it doesn't even spin.

As well as in line resistors you can also get cables that connect to a spare molex plug on your PSU with 12V, 7V and 5V connectors. They work by the 12V being connected in the following way:
    12V: (+) = 12V and (-) = 0V/virtual earth,
    7V: (+) = 12V and (-) = 5V (12-5=7V)
    5V: (+) = +5V and (-) = 0V/virtual earth.

Your final option is a 5.25" drive bay fan controler. This is IMO the most flexible solution and lets you increase or decrease noise/cooling easily depending on what you're doing. I know these solutions all cost money, but again, IMO motherboard fan control is really for non enthusiast PC's with a stock cooler, on a non overclocked CPU etc. They work well in a standard PC and do the job very well. For anything more advanced, aftermarket control is preferable.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thread Information