Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: x58A-UD3R Rev2 FB problems

Default Re: x58A-UD3R Rev2 FB problems

Ok...I'll try the dram change

Ok...I set dram to 1.74...there was no 1.75 option for it in bios.

I saw something interesting though....CPUZ on the SPD window shows the ram channel voltages right?

My voltage in CPUZ reads 1.5 for each one in the timings table......but what's JEDEC? Why are there 4 of them?

Under the measurement labeled 'voltage'....they all read 1.5.....is that talking about my Ram voltage or is it abuot something else?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That is just programmed JEDEC settings is all, it's normal for them to say 1.5V as that is the DDR3 standard.

The only way for you to see actual voltage in windows is with other tools, such as HWmonitor, or Everest/AIDA64, or Easytune

This memory was not made for X58, so you may not be able to ever get it to work properly no matter what you set.

Yes sometimes it does not matter, but sometimes it does and things just will not work together now matter how much you tweak things.

If you set 1.74 be sure you set QPI/Vtt to at least 1.24, you must keep the QPI/Vtt within .5v of the Dram voltage.

Do you mean ALL Ram modules that are 1600 were not made for x58?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

NO, I mean all ram modules that are rated for voltage above 1.65 were not designed with X58 in mind.

Which is why I said that about yours, they are 1.75V sticks, so made before X58, or after, and were not intended to be used on the X58 platform.

Right....well I just went out and bought new ram today...it's rated for 1.65v

It just says 1.65..............not 1.55-1.75 like my A-Data ram

Allow me to summarise:

Ok thanks...where do I begin!? At the beginning.

Some preliminaries (my PC now):

OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    CPU i7 930 2.8g
    Motherboard x58A-Ud3R rev2.0 FC2 (FC2 is the latest beta BIOS, sent to me personally by Gigabyte)
    Memory 6gig ADATA DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card HIS ETI pcie HD5670
    Sound Card Presonus Firebox
    Monitor(s) Displays 19" LG Flatron
    PSU Cooler Master 700W Silent Pro
    Case Antec
    Cooling Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS10x-Quiet
    Hard Drives 2x1TB Seagate Sata2 7200

So two weeks ago it was time to buy a new PC. The last one I had I built in 2005. I assembled components for what I thought would be a powerful system for recording audio and mixing audio. These were the components on my list:

i7-930
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0
    6 GB (2 x 3 GB) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8-8-8-24 DDR3 1600 RAM
    Zalman CNPS10X Quiet CPU Cooler
    HIS H465PS1GH Radeon HD 4650 fanless Video Card (I did not end up getting this card. I got the one listed above)
    (2) Samsung F3 500 GB Hard Drives
    Pioneer DVD-RW with Lightscribe
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 PSU
    Antec Solo Case

I showed this list to my friend (quite good with computers) and he suggested that the ram was not gettable...so recommended I get this ram:

A-DATA AX3U DDR3 - 1600g (9) 2G9-1G 2Gx16
    A70-090131 Gaming Series
    Voltage: 1.55-1.75v
    CL: 9-9-9-24

Here's some pictures of one of the modules:

Ok...I came home and assembled the components carefully. In the back of my mind I kind of suspected there might be some teething problems especially considering my very low level knowledge of BIOS and RAM configurations. I hoped that the default BIOS configurations would be enough to drive my hardware to the best of its ability...to its spec. Anyway, the build was successful. The OS installed nicely and the PC booted up first go. I was pretty happy. I used the computer normally for 1 week. I installed some software...the usual things. Then after about a week I got curious...I wanted to find some apps to look under the hood. I started using CPUZ, realtemp and generally looking in Task Manager at things like Performance and Resource Monitor.

The first suspect thing I noticed was that not all of my RAM was being recognised. I had 3x2g modules in there but only one was being recognised. I also noticed when looking in Task Manager/ Resource Monitor/ Memory/ Hardware Reserved that 4096mb were allocated to 'Hardware Reserve'. This didn't sound right so I googled it. I found out that typically the Hardware Reserved is value is more like 10-60mb! So...I googled these problems and found out that the fix was commonly found to be a BIOS update. I went to the Gigabyte site and downloaded the newest official BIOS called FB. I flashed BIOS (from within BIOS) and rebooted. It was successful....all RAM modules showed up and my Hardware Reserved value was 2mb! I thought I was in the clear.

So I shut down the PC and went to work. In the afternoon I came home and turned my computer on....failure. I did not get any specific actual blue screen....the PC just keep cycling. It would reach the Windows loading screen and reboot itself. I was pretty worried! So anyway all I could do was turn it off. All I could think to do was to disconnect the HD cables (both the power and sata cables). I plugged them back in again and rebooted...and it worked. Then for a while as I restarted sometimes it would boot, other times not. That was maybe a week ago. Every cold boot for a week has failed. Eventually the PC boots. Once it's booted it seems to run fine. It's fast and responsive...but using the utilities like CPUZ and realtemp...I knew that there were problems.

For starters...it seemed that the RAM was not running at 1600. It also seemed that the CPU was not running to it's potential. That's when I started looking on forums to find an answer to the cold boot issues and to the RAM/ CPU issues. I opened up the hugest can of computing worms I've ever seen. There's people out there with this x58A-UD3R board in all sorts of trouble. I followed all kinds of advice...I used BIOS versions FB, FC1, FC2...I altered BIOS settings at will. dRam values, qpi/vtt, memory timings, uncore values, memory multi values. My aim was to get the RAM to run at spec and the CPU to do the same. Nothing I tried worked. The PC continued to fail on cold boots. Sometimes an actual blue screen would show...other times not. In altering settings in BIOS it seems that I was able to get the PC to run at spec. The CPU reported something like 2900mhz...slightly above the 2.8 spec. The RAM also ran at 1600. But the PC failed on cold boots every time.

I never went back to the initial BIOS FA to check that.

Before I forget...some info about my RAM...and the compatibility list:

RAM
    A-DATA OC Offical Website

Compatibility List
    http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileLi...-ud3r_v2.0.pdf

Ok...so I will show you my FC2 BIOS settings as they are now and with the PC idle. Also I'll post some images of CPUZ and realtemp.

These are in no real order...but they should cover pretty much all the main sections and subsections of my BIOS:

Well...that is about at...can you please have a look...and if there is any other info you need or you think would be helpful, let me know

thanks very much :P

can you return the adata ram? and get the mushkin? they would work with that board,the voltage is too high on that ram,ram should be 1.5 to 1.66 for ex58 motherboards this is why your having problems from cold

did you set dram voltage to 1.75? and qpi/vtt to 1.31500v? leave timings on auto and just set system memory multiplier to give you 1600mhz ram speed
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't return the ram. 7 day return policy.

I bought new ram today: Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3C1600C7

It's not in the compatibility list for the x58A-UD3r...but its voltage is 1.65v

Yes I did set it like you ask. I did get 1600 speed. Fails still

does the corsair ram work?(work at 1600mhz)
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information