Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad install of FFb Bios - Smart Error Fix?

Larkin600 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Bad install of FFb Bios - Smart Error Fix?

I have also had problems with this FFb BIOS update although I understand it's BETA. I have been shown the BSOD from time to time and I don't understand exactly what is causing it.
    I can say I did in fact notice a good bump in performance after flashing with the FFb update. I was thinking it could have been Firefox v3.6.10 causing the BSOD but I ruled that out when I flashed back to the FE BIOS version. No more BSODs. Everything is stable again. I wonder how long will Gigabyte be before they can finalize the FF update? I also notified Gigabyte of the BSOD when using the FFb update. Has anyone else encountered problems like this?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Just a thought:
    I wonder if the AHCI driver might be the problem with the FFb bios.
    See if the problem persists when you temporarily disable AHCI mode after you make the required registry changes.

Another possible cause might relate to which AHCI driver you're using, i.e. Microsoft versus Intel.

I haven't worked with SSD or AHCI, so I'll let the SSD gurus help you with this.

@Larkin600, let us know the BSOD number and error message details and we might be able to help you.
    Adding your hardware/software details to your forum signature will let us better help you.

Good Luck.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You guys aren't trying to use your older settings exactly from the other BIOS are you?

On all new BIOS you most always have to tweak things from what you used to use, sometimes you need more voltage somewhere, other times you can use less.

I've had several people report using this new BIOS without issue, so are you sure it's not your settings? Here is one member here I can think of off the top of my head, since we talked in PM's across several forums while I got the BIOS for him.

TwoCables Thread
    Mushkin Enhanced Forums &bull; View topic - Smart Command Failed on Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.6

TwoCables Profile
    Mushkin Enhanced Forums &bull; Login

@ OCN
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3 Series Owners Guide - Page 1638 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

@ Ken, what overclock do you want to run? I ask because sometimes it's much easier to get a stable overclock, than it is for a user to get things stable at stock/auto, so I'm going to give you some full settings to try.

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Larkin600,
    Finally, someone else with an FFb BIOS problem! Just curious, what SSD Drive are you using? Please post your hardware configuration so I can see what we have in common. You mentioned that the SSD Drive was faster with the FFb BIOS, I felt that the SSD Drive even though it ran all the benchmarks at advertised speeds did not seem all that great in the real world with the FE BIOS installed? You seem to say the same thing?

ProfJim,
    I don't think it is the AHCI driver in Windows (using the latest Intel drivers) because most of the problem(s) seem to be before Windows even boots. I can try turning off ACHI in the BIOS and see what happens but then that is a no-no with an SSD Drive?!

Lsdmeasap,
    I just want the #$%^ thing to run at any setting at this point. Pick a number between FSB 333 and 422. I thought what ProfJim had me do was attempt to set the votages for a stable FSB 333. There is something wrong with this BIOS that would require all this pain just to get the machine running at stock speed!

Any idea on what 775 board out there will run with the Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD Drive without all the BIOS issues? I'll buy DDR3 memory if that is the only option.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

An interesting quick test would be to unplug your SSD from your system and see if your boot-loop problem is still present. You could try booting with an OS hard drive.

It sounds like the only problem with bios FE is the "Smart Command Failed" error.
    From your signature, it looks like FE was OK in all other respects with a 4.0GHz overclock.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    Larkin600,
    Finally, someone else with an FFb BIOS problem! Just curious, what SSD Drive are you using? Please post your hardware configuration so I can see what we have in common. You mentioned that the SSD Drive was faster with the FFb BIOS, I felt that the SSD Drive even though it ran all the benchmarks at advertised speeds did not seem all that great in the real world with the FE BIOS installed? You seem to say the same thing?

ProfJim,
    I don't think it is the AHCI driver in Windows (using the latest Intel drivers) because most of the problem(s) seem to be before Windows even boots. I can try turning off ACHI in the BIOS and see what happens but then that is a no-no with an SSD Drive?!

Lsdmeasap,
    I just want the #$%^ thing to run at any setting at this point. Pick a number between FSB 333 and 422. I thought what ProfJim had me do was attempt to set the votages for a stable FSB 333. There is something wrong with this BIOS that would require all this pain just to get the machine running at stock speed!

Any idea on what 775 board out there will run with the Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD Drive without all the BIOS issues? I'll buy DDR3 memory if that is the only option.
    Ahh ok, well I'll let you guys continue working on stock FSB then.

Did you try using RAID BIOS setting instead of AHCI, maybe that will help? You have to enable RAID booting in the registry first though before you change the BIOS to RAID

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

ProjJim,
    I tried the boot routine with NO drives attached and two stick of memory and the system would not boot. That's when Gigabyte Tech Support suggested removing one stick of memory to get me back to FE.

Lsdmeaspa,
    Sounds like desperation! I made the registry changes a long time ago. I should have just stayed with my RAID setup and forgot about the SSD stuff. One more time, do you guys have any pull with Gigabyte - there IS a problem with FFb and I would think Gigabyte would want to get to the bottom of it. Or am I playing with "old iron" and should move on to a new system?

Good, so now try RAID enabled BIOS.

No, it's not desperation, that's actually how MANY people run a single Disk. I always run like that, it's just Non-member RAID (AHCI and TRIM is supported), RAID mode single disk is often faster at many things.

There is no problem with FFb that I am aware of, sure your problem but I am still not really sure what that problem is or if it has anything to do with the BIOS itself, or just your settings/hardware. I specifically requested that BIOS be updated adding the Sandforce fix, which they just gave it to me a week or two ago.

This is the only thread I've seen with issues using this BIOS, can you please tell me again what exactly the problem is (Yes I read your first post).

You can always go back to FE again, if you are not still on it, and just ignore the SMART error if you want

Larkin600 is offline Junior Member

I believe you just explained it to me. You see I'm just realizing that this BIOS update FFb is for the SSD Sanforce firmware. I'm I not right? So from what you have just stated to me is that unless you're using the Sanforce SSD drives this update should not be use by people just simply running a RAID 0 array such as mind with non-SSD hard drives. I'm sorry for the confusion and wasting your time. I quess there isn't a problem then. So sorry Lsdmeasap and ProfJim. I only wish I was running the SSD drives right now.

Ya, this BIOS was made to address Sandforce SMART errors, of course there may be other changes or fixes added as well but that was the main point of the BIOS.

You do not have to have a Sandforce SSD to use it, that doesn't matter, it only fixes the SMART error if you do happen to have one is all. It will not affect your RAID array, or other non Sandforce SSD's or HDD's

You are fine to use it even if you don't have any SSD's, but since it is giving you issues then I'd go ahead and go back to the previous one that wasn't until a later beta or final comes out.

No need to apologize, were always here to help no matter what!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information