Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help needed in installing new HD's

Unhappy Help needed in installing new HD's

Hi i have a GA-X48-DS5 motherboard and just got 2 new hard drives and i am having trouble in configuring these drives. I have a velociraptor 150gb new firmware a WD black 500gb and also a 2 months old 250gb seagate for storage.I want to use the velociraptor for windows 7 64x and the WD black for games.What should i choose in bios for ICH9 chipset IDE or AHCI mode and below there is an option for ports 0-3 to run in native IDE or legacy IDE (dont know what that option is) right know i have it installed in IDE mode with latest inf from intel site which is december 2009 i think and in device manager controllers it has 2 controllers installed Intel(R) ICH9 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 -2926 and Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 -2920.My motherboard has six yellow sata connectors. 2 of them are together just under the GFX card and the other 4 down the bottom along with the 2 gigabyte sata connectors.
    Can someone please tell me where to connect the drives and give me links for the latest inf file for my motherboard and tell me if i should use intel matrix rapid storage or not.
    I must have installed windows about 20 times and i always get random mouse pointer pauses and folders or control panel take to long to appear.I have checked my drives they are not faulty and dont know what is causing these issues.
    By the way my system is the following

GA-X48-DS5 bios F8g from this site
    Q9505 CPU
    2X2GB DOMINATOR 1066 DDR2
    GTX 480
    CM SILENT PRO 850W Single rail

everything is brand new
    and motherboard 1 year old all checked and nothing faulty

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ange30; 10-21-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: Help needed in installing new HD's

All the latest drivers can be found stickied to the top of this forum found here http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

Which ever drive you have windows installed onto or want windows to be installed onto plug that one into port0 on the intel controller. The which ever order you want the other drives to appear in "Computer" plug them in that order on to the motherboard.

Plug your CD drive into the last intel port, port 4 or 5.

If windows is already installed you wont be able to enable AHCI unless you do some registry changes. You have to do a fresh install of windows with this setting.

Chose enable native IDE.

windows 7 has its own drivers for ahci but i would use the drivers from the intel matrix rapid storage software. You dont have to check the box to install the "Program" or what ever they call it in the beginning of the install as that is more geared to raid setup. but you can if you want you can check that status/health of your drives from there.

To install games onto one of the other drives other then what windows is installed onto you have to tell each game installer to install on "D:\xxxx or E:\xxxx" which ever drive you the games to be.
    Last edited by Acebmxer; 10-22-2010 at 06:18 AM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Thread Information