Quote Originally Posted by jfoxedge View Post
I solved this problem (I think). Had the same problem with a i7 970 with 24 GB of DDR3-1333 on a GA-X58A-UD3R. Tried all the suggestions of voltage settings, and nothing made a difference. Tried several different Bios version, same problem.

Then I just happened to search for my processor, and found a page on Intel's site that said it only supports 800 and 1066 memory. Manually set my memory to 1066, no more problem. Never displays the "recovering lost DRAM size" message again. And runs through memtest without finding any problems.

With the memory set at 1066, the auto-detected timings are better, so probably not a big difference in actual performance.

I checked on the i7 980 X, and Intel's site says it only supports 1066 memory, so I'm guessing you have the same problem. See this page:
Intel® Core

Hope this helps.
I know its been almost two years, but I am having this problem now, and I am wondering if you have any updates.

I have been running the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD9 board with an i7-930 and 12GB of G.Skill Ripjaws 1333 Memory or a couple of years without any problems. Recently I upgraded the proc to the i7-980X and have the same problem you had. The board needs to reboot several times to detect the correct amount of RAM. Without boosting the Dram voltage to 1.6v it will never detect it correctly. I get the "lost Dram" message if it does not get it right.

During my troubleshooting I actually damaged my UD9 so now I am using the G1.Assassin, but it has the exact same problem.

Question: Did you ever find the correct BIOS settings to make your ram run at stock speeds or did you keep it underclocked?

Thanks a lot!