Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-8IDMNF BIOS Update help

Default GA-8IDMNF BIOS Update help

Hi all,

Just joined in hope someone can help. My PCs tens years old nearly and still in good shape, have looked after it well and Ive been trying to upgrade a bigger hard drive, but as the BIOS doesnt seem to be able to find the new hard drive which should be a slave, Ive discovered I now need to update the BIOS so it can get passed the hard drive limit barrier. Only snag is I cant find the updated BIOS file for this particular motherboard, so can anyone help me on that please?

Kind regards

Reggie is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GA-8IDMNF BIOS Update help

Gigabyte GA-8IDMNF Motherboard Packard Bell Cosmos is an old Intel 845 chipset model that probably doesn't support 48-bit LBA (Large Disk), hard drives larger than 137 GB.
    B3905 Gigabyte GA-8IDMNF Motherboard Pack Bell Cosmos on eBay (end time 30-Oct-10 00:08:43 BST)

I suggest you buy an add-on PCI card that has an IDE controller with support for 48-bit LBA.
    Max Value 3 Port Serial ATA / IDE PCI Card with RAID Support: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The motherboard is a Packard Bell product and you may be able to find it on their support website.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It could also be jumper/cable settings, be sure you have them set correctly or try cable select.

What is the full model of the system, and what year was it made?

I see two places you can get BIOS files, but need to know more details about the system

Desktop (Imedia here)
    Support Download

Or look here
    ftp://ftp.download.packardbell.com/DESKTOP/

Hi Both

Thanks for your replys. I looked into the PCI Card, may resort to that if unable to find BIOS, but surely it must be out there?

Right my model is: Packard Bell iMedia 5106, think it was 2001 made. Heres full spec of the mother board: Gigabyte GA-8IDMNF/Specifications - Motherboard Database Wiki

I checked those two links already before, and theres no reference to my model on there site. But I know there used to be, so they must have a back up copy. Might have to contact them directly.

But any other ideas?

Cheers

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That is old, so even if we could find a BIOS it probably still would not support larger disks, and it would probably still be an old BIOS anyway.

I think the PCI card may be your easiest and best solution if you need to keep this machine running, otherwise upgrade if you can.

Thread Information