Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: [THANK YOU] Successful CPU Upgrade, redid my OC based on techniques learned here!

Thumbs up [THANK YOU] Successful CPU Upgrade, redid my OC based on techniques learned here!

A while back, I posted a thread about having some trouble overclocking my Core i7-930 to 4.0 GHz on my GA-X58A-UD5 (rev.1). I got a good bit of help from the community in reaching my target speed, and learned a lot along the way.

I learned the importance of the QPI/VTT voltage (QPI/VTT impacts the uncore and IMC portions of the CPU; arguably more important than Vcore). I learned that the IOH may need a little more voltage to keep up with the QPI, if you overclock the uncore / IMC. I learned that 4GB DIMMs put added stress on the IMC, and that the QPI/VTT voltage will need to be bumped up slightly to make up for it.

I also learned that if your DIMMs are specc'd to handle DDR3-1600 @ 1.5V, and you are not going to push them past that, you will NOT need to increase Vdimm past the stock voltage. Instability on this front generally comes from the uncore, not the RAM.

Last Monday, so 9 days ago, I upgraded from that i7-930 to an i7-980X. In doing so, I had to start my overclock from scratch (different transistor size, different voltage requirements, etc.). Having changed nothing else, but following the techniques I was taught by the community, I am sitting 100% stable at 4.20 GHz (200x21). The system couldn't be happier!

So, thanks to everyone here. Thanks for teaching people how to OC better. Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for the encouragement. Most of all, thanks for the patience.

If anyone wants to see a BIOS template for my OC, I'm happy to post one as soon as I get the chance this evening. Can't bring up my BIOS settings from the office...

I installed the i7-930 in a brand new mATX rig (ASUS RAMPAGE III GENE, but only because Gigabyte doesn't offer an X58 mATX board), where it is happily running at the same 4.0 GHz (191x21) as before.
    If you give a girl a computer, she's going to ask for a video card. When you give her the video card, she'll ask for a steam account...

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: [THANK YOU] Successful CPU Upgrade, redid my OC based on techniques learned here!

Make sure you know that the 980x has a different uncore rule then your 930. You only need 1.5x +1 or +2 memory multi.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: [THANK YOU] Successful CPU Upgrade, redid my OC based on techniques learned here!

Great to hear you have updated your CPU and learned so much reading here!!

Acebmxer is correct, you do not have to use 2x ram multi for uncore on 980X, but you still can if you want.

That just makes it easier to use lower when pushing high memory clocks, or if you want to use less QPI/Vtt you can lower Uncore multi, but that does affect performance negatively so keep in mind when trying to decide/tweak.

Post back anytime!

I went for the 2x multiplier for the uncore specifically for the added performance. I am not overclocking my memory at all, so I want to eek out as much performance from the controller as I can. I don't see much of a reason to go above bclk 200. I did hit bclk 210, 100% stable, but I backed down to 200 once I tried to get my multi over 18.
    If you give a girl a computer, she's going to ask for a video card. When you give her the video card, she'll ask for a steam account...

I use 2x too on 980X, sometimes I still use 2x +2 as well, the performance is not so hot if you use 1.5x

Agreed. I noticed a significant increase in a semi-realistic (read: real-game-based) benchmark score for having 2x versus 1.5x, which makes me not want to go below 2x. As I understand it, 1.5x is only to improve memory controller stability when you have a heavy uncore bclk and RAM overclock. In my experience, if the uncore is at around 3200 MHz, it is perfectly stable. Any higher, and you'll have to work to stabilize it. Any lower, and performance will suffer. This means you can get full performance out of DDR3-1600 by running the bclk @ 200 MHz, the uncore multiplier at 16x, and the memory multiplier at 8x. This will achieve a zero overclock on the DDR, and no real overclock on the uncore either, while maximizing the CPU overclock by way of the bclk. I prefer this to using a higher CPU multiplier whenever possible. Unfortunately for me (and other 980X owners) it means that I never make use of the unlocked multiplier, as even matching the stock multi (25) at bclk 200 means the CPU would run at 5.0 GHz... which is way too much for a reasonable cooling solution to handle. The voltage requirements would be astronomical.

Conclusion: If you want to hit bclk 200 on a 32nm, hex-core processor, go for the 970 rather than the 980X. You'll hit the same speeds, but save about $150.

I run 4.2Ghz (168x25) on 980X without issues, uncore at 3.6-3.8 depending on what ram clocks I am using, and I have no stability issues with that.

If you want helping with your 980X Kaishi let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I run 4.2Ghz (168x25) on 980X without issues, uncore at 3.6-3.8 depending on what ram clocks I am using, and I have no stability issues with that.

If you want helping with your 980X Kaishi let me know.
    I'm always interested in eeking out a little more performance but as I said, I'm at 4.2 GHz myself: 200 x 21. My uncore is at.... 3.2 I think, but I might be able to get it a little faster. RAM is at stock: 1600 MHz (8x Multi). I really should just write up a full template... I'll do that this afternoon.

x17-x18 uncore should be easy for you to get going then, and it will give you a good boost in memory performance too.

If you try it, the key thing you may need to increase is QPI/Vtt voltage

Thread Information