Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SLI'ing on GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

Default Re: SLI'ing on GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

OK..

Did the settings at 3.6GHz. Temps on cores were 34 idle on one core and as high as 41 on another core. I ran a Crysis Warhead FRAMEBUFFER, with everything on ENTHUSIAST (highest), and got an average of 58FPS, the temps during that never got over 60. The highest I saw was 59 Celsius on one core.

I am using coretemp to monitor my temps, and whenever I open a webpage or something, one core will like jump to 50 real quick and then cool down. Is that normal? I mean, I know its using the CPU but I didn't think it would jump like that.

Also, I did this benchmark yesterday and got an average of THIRTY FPS. I cannot imagine that 400 mhz to each core would DOUBLE my framerates?...?

Also, my prime 95 temps were in the mid sixties for about ten seconds and then went above 70 and kept climbing. That was the torture test. But nothing will ever max my cores out 100 percent and KEEP them there constantly. lol. I have coretemp to shutdown my computer after 3 seconds above 80C.

SO, AM I STABLE AT 3.6?? I CAN tell a performance difference obviously as per the Crysis benchmark that ran for 10 mins.

Let me know if this is good, or if I should go to 3.8? Or go down?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If you want to know if you are stable at 3.6Ghz, or any frequency, you really should run Prime95 for at least 4-6 hours, preferably longer.

Ok, I have the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard.

I have installed the two graphics cards and powered them, I had one before.

Now I have installed the second. The bridge is connected to the cards properly, the motherboard RECOGNIZES BOTH cards and the newest drivers are installed. BTW the SLI bridge came from MY motherboard box and I have it connected to the card connectors closest to the back of the case. Both cards are in PCIE-2.0 X16 Slots, as I only have two on this board, the other two are PCIE-2.0 X8.

I have SLI'd three way 9800s in the past, but this time, when I open the Nvidia control panel in WINDOWS 7 64-bit ULTIMATE, there is no "Enable SLI" option under the 3D Settings!! I've heard of this happening.

My specs:
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    i7 950 @3.6 GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1000W Tuniq RIPPER Power Supply
    A couple of WD 7200 RPM 1TB Black caviar HDDs
    Antec DarkFleet Case

did you fully un-install the nvidia drivers first? then add one card i think then load drivers then add second card rebooting in-between
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post the list of steps I've used to fix this issue on several other systems. Some steps you might have done already. If so, ignore them unless you haven't done them in the order listed.

Check that both
    • cards are present in Device manager and there are no warnings next to one/both. (you say the Mobo dectects the cards but didn't mention Windows)
    • Make sure the SLI bridge is connected propperly. Not sure if it makes any difference but I always orientate the bridge so that any writing/markings read from bottom to top, rathe rthan top to bottom.
    • Boot to Windows and uninstall the NVidia drivers Via Control Pannel
    • Restart. Both cards will then be detected and use the defauly Windows 7 Driver.
    • Navigate to ?:\windows/system32/drivers/ and delete these files if still present: NV_AGP.SYS, nvhda64v.sys, nvlddmkm.sys. Also run CCleaner, this will remove most registry entries missed by the uninstaller.
    • Now open a command prompt with administrator privelages (important that the program itself is given admin status) and type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (without the "****") then hit enter. Now type "devmgmt.msc". In the device manager window that appears, click View > Show hidden devices. Now check under Display Adapters. Any entries that are in gray can be highlighted then deleted.
    • Restart and then install the latest NVidia drivers. Restart when the installation is finished, even if the installer doesn't prompt you to.
    • When back into Windows, open device manager first and check that both cards are detected and there are no warning icons next to either. Then open NVidia Control Pannel and navigate to this screen (hopefully it will be present):
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I'll post the list of steps I've used to fix this issue on several other systems. Some steps you might have done already. If so, ignore them unless you haven't done them in the order listed.

Check that both
    • cards are present in Device manager and there are no warnings next to one/both. (you say the Mobo dectects the cards but didn't mention Windows)
    • Make sure the SLI bridge is connected propperly. Not sure if it makes any difference but I always orientate the bridge so that any writing/markings read from bottom to top, rathe rthan top to bottom.
    • Boot to Windows and uninstall the NVidia drivers Via Control Pannel
    • Restart. Both cards will then be detected and use the defauly Windows 7 Driver.
    • Navigate to ?:\windows/system32/drivers/ and delete these files if still present: NV_AGP.SYS, nvhda64v.sys, nvlddmkm.sys. Also run CCleaner, this will remove most registry entries missed by the uninstaller.
    • Now open a command prompt with administrator privelages (important that the program itself is given admin status) and type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (without the "****") then hit enter. Now type "devmgmt.msc". In the device manager window that appears, click View > Show hidden devices. Now check under Display Adapters. Any entries that are in gray can be highlighted then deleted.
    • Restart and then install the latest NVidia drivers. Restart when the installation is finished, even if the installer doesn't prompt you to.
    • When back into Windows, open device manager first and check that both cards are detected and there are no warning icons next to either. Then open NVidia Control Pannel and navigate to this screen (hopefully it will be present):

I did exactly what you said. Verbatim. Nope. I assure you (because i've checked) that these cards are in the PCIE 2.0 x16 Gen2 Slots. It confirms it in Nvidia control panel. Windows always recognized both cards. The only option I am getting under "manage 3d settings" is "set physX configuration." NO SET SLI AND PHYSX. I mean, this is so annoying, I have no *ucking clue what is wrong. I mean, the EVGA guys were even wondering and basically just quit talking to me. I do have another motherboard, an EVGA X58 FTW3... I was going to use it for the another build. Maybe I should just use that mobo and throw THIS DISCOUNTED, BUDGETED, PIECE OF TRASH IN THE SEWER.

Sorry for the rage. But that is how I feel right now. I have SLI'd SO many times. Once for myself, and many for other people. Just like you. I never tried your route, but I did manually delete drivers, and other leftover drivers and BOOM, they work. But this...whatever. What other options do I have? I mean, the cards are the same models. I've done 15 (atleast) things the EVGA support told me to do, I've done my troubleshooting, and I've tried yours. I have been doing this since 3:30PM CST. That is four and a half hours. Well, what should I try next?

If both cards are detected then there is most likely nothing wrong with your board. You might have a faulty example, but that's unlikely. I've used SLI rigs with this board without issue, including a pair of 465's unlocked to full 470's without issue.

It has been known for the Realtek Drivers from a recent Windows Update to cause an issue similar to this. The first thing I would do is remove your integrated network adapters from Device manager, checking the option to delete the driver (if you have two NIC's delete them both). Now restart and install the updated drivers from here: Realtek

Wazza's post is also correct, the official NVidia advice is to install a single card, then install the driver, then turn off and install the second card. I've never had to do it, but the fact that NVidia suggests this means that some configs may actually require this for SLI to work. An annoying quirk, but worth checking out.

If that does nothing, backup your files and try a Windows re-install. I would recommend using System File Checker, checking the registry etc but a re-install would probably actually be quicker. Install all the essential drivers, DirectX, etc then load the NVidia driver, restart and see if you're sorted.

Any positive result that may be gotten from switching boards may be entirely due to Windows re-detecting certain settings after it's install, and could be merely placibo, rather than proof that the Gigabyte board is at fault. By all means try with the EVGA board, but IMO, do it after a fresh Windows install on the system as is. If it doesn't work, then set up the EVGA board on top of the box and attach the bare essentials, CPU, HDD, RAM and GPU's. Place the case near by so you can connect the PSU to the new board. That way you don't have to completely strip your PC to test.

Just a couple of things I didn't mention earlier. Have a look in the BIOS and make sure that Init First Display is set to PEG, not PEG2. Not sure if this matters but it can't hurt. Also, I'm sure you probably have done so, but chech that the monitor cable is plugged into the top most card (the one nearest the CPU). Again, not sure if it matters or not but doesn't hurt to do.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Have you flashed the latest BIOS, and cleared CMOS? If not try those as well.

Finally got it to work, however, im at stock 3.06 Ghz, I had to finally reinstall windows.

Wazza: can you send me that template for OCing on this mobo to 3.8?

try this,post back if unstable as you may need to tweak voltages slightly,but its a good starting point

Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock Ratio ............................. [23x]
    DP Frequency ................................ 3.80GHz (160x23)
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................... [Enabled]
    CPU Cores Enabled ........................... [All]
    CPU Multi Threading ......................... [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ..................... [Disabled] use balanced profile in win7 power saving options
    C3/C6/C7 State Support ...................... [enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function ........................... [enabled]
    Virtualization Technology ................... [enabled]
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ...................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
    QPI Link Ratio .............................. [x36]
    QPI Link Speed .............................. 7.xxGHz
    Uncore Frequency ............................ [x21]
    Isonchronous Frequency ...................... [Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... [160]
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) .............. [100]

Advanced Clock Control:
    CPU Clock Drive ............................ [800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive .................... [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
    Performance Enhance .................... [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled] --> Disable XMP and manually adjust your ram latencies
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [10x]set to this to give you 1600mhz ram speed
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ................ 1600
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Quick]
    Profile DDR Voltage ................... xxxxV
    Profile QPI Voltage ................... xxxxV
    Channel Interleaving .................. [Auto]
    Rank Interleaving ..................... [Auto]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
    CAS Latency Time ........................... 8 [8]
    tRCD ....................................... 8 [8]
    tRP ........................................ 8 [8]
    tRAS ....................................... 24 [24]set according to ram

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
    tRC ........................................ [Auto]
    tRRD ....................................... [Auto]
    tWTR ....................................... [Auto]
    tWR ........................................ [Auto]
    tWTP ....................................... [Auto]
    tWL ........................................ [Auto]
    tRFC ....................................... [Auto]
    tRTP ....................................... [Auto]
    tFAW ....................................... [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD) ......................... [Auto]

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
    B2B CAS Delay .............................. [Auto]
    Round Trip Latency ......................... [Auto]

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    Load Line Calibration ...................... [disabled]
    CPU Vcore .......................... 1.2375V [normal] also look for dvid in bios and set to normal
    QPI/VTT Voltage .................... 1.175V [1.315V] or 1.3000v may need more if unstable
    CPU PLL ............................ 1.800V [auto]

MCH/ICH
    PCIE .............................. 1.500v [auto]
    QPI PLL ........................... 1.100v [auto]
    IOH Core ........................... 1.100v [auto]
    ICH I/O ............................ 1.500v [auto]
    ICH Core ........................... 1.100v [auto]

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ....................... 1.500V [1.660V]
    DRAM Termination ................... 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Data VRef. .................... 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Data VRef. .................... 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Data VRef. .................... 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Address VRef. ................. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Address VRef. ................. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Address VRef. ................. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information