Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte P55 Mobos CPU sensor problem

Default Gigabyte P55 Mobos CPU sensor problem

Hello,

On 2 Gigabyte mobos running an I5 760 I got the same issue: after a random period of time, the CPU sensor on the motherboard gets "stuck" to an erroneous value (-35 to 0 degrees Celsius, as reported in BIOS). This causes the CPU FAN (which is set to auto in BIOS) to drop to the minimal RPM (~250 in my case on a Scythe Katana 3) thus producing a sensible increase of the CPU temp (the 4 cores reach up to 70 degrees under stress such as PRIME95). The core temps have normal values while this happens (eg. -35 for MB sensor ~40 degrees for the 4 cores). Even after a system restart the issue persists, the only solution being to shut down the system, wait for a period of time and then restart.

After a research on Google I found similar posts about the problem:

GA-P55A-UD3 Negative CPU Temperature
    http://www.overclock.net/intel-mot [...] -usb3.html

The issue appeared first on a GA-P55-USB3 (bios F8) which I replaced with a GA-P55A-UD3 (BIOS F9) only to encounter the same problem. Using the same configuration with an basic Intel H55 motherboard (just for testing), no such problems issued.

Is there a solution for this issue besides disabling CPU fan control in BIOS (mine is very noisy at 2700 RPM - the max value ) or using a fan controlling SW such as ET6?

Default Re: Gigabyte P55 Mobos CPU sensor problem

are you using the latest bios? its very rare for the modern chips to have stuck sensors,maybe a bios glitch?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first motherboard, GA-P55-USB3 had the latest BIOS (F8) and the problem was still there. I am reluctant to update th BIOS on my new GA-P55A-UD3, since it has the same date as the USB3 version and I guess it adresses the same issues (the motherboards are "sisters") I'm currently testing if by disabling the C3/C6 state fixes the problem. So far so good.

I also found a report from someone using a Gigabyte ex38-ds5 with the same problem. It's weird, not?
    Last edited by boglav; 11-03-2010 at 07:11 AM.

its common on dual core 775 socket to have stuck sensors but newer chips 1156 and 1366 shouldnt do it,i think its a bios issue as its done it on two mb's,could be a rare faulty chip sensor though i wouldnt rule it out,you could email gigabyte and tell them whats happening and maybe they could send you a revised bios to test? i cant see any beta bios's on here for you to try which is weird as its got them for all the other boards unless ive missed something
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a weird error, because it seems to work ok for an indefinite period of time then something triggers the problem (not cpu load anyway). As I said, it persists even after several restarts and I have to shut down the system to get it fixed. I'm definitely not gonna RMA the board this time because the process is tedious and I'd rather live with it or hope for a BIOS fix. I already reported it to GGTS, waiting for a reply.
    It may be also related to my PSU or the building's power source, but that is definitely something I'm not able to test (no available PSU replacement).

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would test the latest BIOS for sure, no reason not too since the one you are using now has this issue anyway.

Already updated to F11. Problem is, with C3/C6 enabled on the latest Bios, the sensor reads Core temp - 20 degrees and the RPM is set too small (~500). With C3/C6 disabled, in windows the sensor reports the CPU core temp -10 degrees and boosts the RPM to ~900. I don't care too much since I use the system basically for gaming so no idle times anyway. Since I disabled the C3/C6 state the issue seems to have disappeared, I will report any modifications if they occur. Wish Gigabyte would sort this though, as I'm not the only one facing it.

Leave those disabled, I've never seen anyone using them before anyway - any reason why you enabled them to begin with other than testing this?

You can send in a report about the C3/C6 bug here
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

afaik they're kinda on by default (auto setting them to enabled). I already sent a message to GGTS.

Hmm, disabled by default here on UD7, and they have always been in the past on all motherboards as well.

I do see P55 sets Auto by default, not sure though if that is enabled or not, but from your testing it looks like it is.

Just disable them, that's the default most everyone uses and should use unless you are specifically trying to enable them.

Thread Information