Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MoBo GA-X48-DS4 doesn't boot (phase leds flashing)

Unhappy [Solved] MoBo GA-X48-DS4 doesn't boot (phase leds flashing)

Short version:
    What a mobo would do if powered on with nothing attached (no cpu, no memories, ... just psu+mobo)?

Long version (sorry for the long post!):
    Hi everybody,

I've received a GA-X48-DS4 motherboard and I have problems booting it. The problem is that when I try to turn it on, all the phase leds flash briefly, fan tries to wind, then it stops and then the cycle repeats (that's it, phase leds flashes and fan stutters but there are no other signals).

I've tried a simple installation, so my tests were made with the mobo outside the chassis and just cpu, psu, memory and heatsink plugged in. ATX power cable and the other one (4x12V + 4 GND) are connected (the pin connections to my pc power switch are connected too, plus the speaker ones). I've tried with different memories and through different slots (paired within the same colour slots and single memory in the DDR1 slot or even in the others). I've tested too the psu with a multimeter and it looks ok (it's new, by the way). It also has power enough (650w) to run the mobo.

I've searched the forum and I've seen so many different problems related to the phase leds flashing that I'd like to make a simpler test: try just the mobo, with nothing attached. I mean, no even cpu, memories, fans, ... Just the psu and the mobo.

Booting something like that would show different signals? I mean, would also the phase leds flash briefly?

My idea is this: Supposing a normal mobo shows a different signal with nothing attached (different from the phase leds flashing, like, for example, doing nothing, beeping, ...), if I try this test and I see my mobo flashes the phase leds, then the problem is in the mobo. If it does other thing, as expected, I'll be sure the problem is not in it.

Second question about this: would it be dangerous to turn on a motherboard with nothing attached? I think not, but let's be sure...

I think this would be the easiest way to test a motherboard. However, I'll accept any other suggestion related to my problem (know which component is the one broken or what I'm missing in the installation!).

Thanks in advance for you help!

Edit: Edited to show it was solved.
    Last edited by Palencia; 11-08-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Default Re: MoBo GA-X48-DS4 doesn't boot (phase leds flashing)

Powering up a motherboard with no CPU, RAm etc would prove nothing. The board will not procede much further than initial power on without key componenys, and the only feedback you'd have is through the PC speaker. Even with error beeps it would likely just be complaining about having no CPU/RAM rather than giving you anything useful about the board status.

The only way to confirm/disprove a board malfunction is to swap out components one by one with known working ones, until you find the issue. Ie, swap the CPU, swap the RAM... etc. Finally test the whole component set on a totally different board. If it fires up right away AND swapping components one by one didn't find anything then it is most likely the board. Include the PSU oin the swapping process too.

Starting a board with no components isn't dangerous, it's just not going to get you anywhere.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks, Psycho. I see your point. I knew this was a long shot (not having a component should show, at least, the same error as a defective one), but I wanted to try it. By the way, seeing it's not dangerous, I did it anyway, and I always get the phase leds flashing.

So, my only solution will be to find other components/mobo's to test if they are ok. I'll do it and I'll say how it goes.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya you definitely need all the hardware.

If you can't afford a CPU or set of memory yet, buy a cheap Celeron 4xx series on ebay and a el cheapo stick of DDR2 and you will then be able to test. You could probably get a Celeron or P4 CPU for $10 or so, and a stick of memory for $5-10

Smile Re: MoBo GA-X48-DS4 doesn't boot (phase leds flashing)

Thanks for the tip, Lsdmeasap.

Yesterday I redid all the mounting carefully with another set of memories and it booted! The only problem I see is that it doesn't recognize a wireless pci card, but that could be even a software problem, so no worries. Thanks for your help!

P.S. I've edited the first post to show it was solved.

Nice to see you are getting somewhere now!

That PCI wireless card issue could be software/driver issue as you mentioned, let us know if you need further help with that once you get going a bit further.

Don't forget to install the latest chipset drivers, here's a link
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

Thumbs up Re: MoBo GA-X48-DS4 doesn't boot (phase leds flashing)

Thanks again, Lsdmeasap. The wireless card was just a little bit loose. I reinserted it and everything is up and running now!!

Great to hear you found the problem!

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything

Thread Information