Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A UD3R boot up "issue"

Default X58A UD3R boot up "issue"

Hi - new member here, looking for some advice on my new setup.

I have just setup my first i7 system replacing my old core 2 duo setup.

I have a Gigabyte X58A UD3R Rev 2 Motherboard, i7 950 cpu, 3x2gig Patriot 1600mhz ram, ATI 4870 an Corsair 650w PSU.

Once installed, the system started up OK and I loaded "Optimised Settings" in the bios to get things setup.

I notice that when I first boot the system "cold" after the power has been switched of at the socket, the PC starts to boot for a seconds, then stops and the boots and loads windows. If I dont switch off the power socket, it boot straight up.

I seem to recall a similar issue with some early socket 775 motherboards, but I am not sure if this is considered normal for the X58's

Does any user have a similar setup to mine and how does their system behave on cold boot-up? Are there any bios settings that I should change to alleviate this problem.

Thanks
    <!-- / message -->

Default Re: X58A UD3R boot up "issue"

you mean it double boots when from cold? if so its normal,sometimes it boots and checks things then re-boots and load windows

are you using the latest bios?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it does not really boot, when I press the start button the power light comes on and the fans spin for about 1 -2 seconds then it stops and after about the same time interval again, it boots up fully.

I am using the FC3 bios, installed via qflash, loaded optimised settings and thats all.

Once it has booted and I shut down the PC, but leave the power on, it boots straight up every time.

I am trying to establish if this behaviour is normal/common with X58's, or there is either a fault with the motherboard or perhaps my RAM is not completely compatible.

Any thoughts

I have exactly the same behaviour - turn on - some fans and lights, then power LED goes off, then powers up and loads BIOS.

I'm running FB (as I need to to run OSX) and have had this behaviour since I first assembled the machine.

I'm running a 600W Be Quite E7 PSU - and only running 1 GFX card, a few fans and 3 HDs.
    GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev 2 - FF) / Core i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz (thanks to LSDMeAsap & Waza300) / 6GB CORSAIR Dominator DDR3-1600MHZ (TR3X6G1600C8D) / EBAYED VERY INCOMPATIBLE RAM OCZ DDR3-2000MHZ (OCZ3G2000LV6GK) / Batmobile Gigabyte ATI HD 5770 1GB (GV-R577UD-1GD) / OSX 10.7.1 (64 bit) (Retail + iBoot + MultiBeast - Thanks TonyMac & MacMan) / Zalman CNPS10X Ultra Quiet / Fractal Design R2 Black / Be Quiet Special Edition 600W / WD 1TB / Segate 1TB / Sony Optiarc AD-5260B

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It can be normal at times, but not sure it should happen at stock CPU speeds or not as I only overclock.

And actually, now that I say that I can tell you it shouldn't happen really every time because I don't see it when overclocked, so sounds like you need to adjust somethings in your BIOS.

Since you loaded optimized defaults only, this is probably part of the issue. You need to set at least a few things in your BIOS, especially a few memory related items.

Can you link your memory and I'll get you some suggested changes for you to tinker with in your BIOS. You do not want anything overclocked correct, and you want the Intel power saving features enabled as well right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It can be normal at times, but not sure it should happen at stock CPU speeds or not as I only overclock.

And actually, now that I say that I can tell you it shouldn't happen really every time because I don't see it when overclocked, so sounds like you need to adjust somethings in your BIOS.

Since you loaded optimized defaults only, this is probably part of the issue. You need to set at least a few things in your BIOS, especially a few memory related items.

Can you link your memory and I'll get you some suggested changes for you to tinker with in your BIOS. You do not want anything overclocked correct, and you want the Intel power saving features enabled as well right?
    I don't think I've ever booted the machine with just Optimised Defaults because I'm running OSX which needs a bunch of settings to load properly, HPET 64 bit, AHCI mode, etc but it's something that I can try. Also I've recently been through the "3 Steps To Overclocking i7's" and now am running OC settings:
    3 Step Overclocking Guide – Bloomfield and Gulftown | TechREACTION

I'm at work at the moment but I can post up my FULL bios settings from every page if that would help? Maybe you can help with my OC also but I can also try the Load Optimised and just add XMP Profiling and see what the boot is like.

Do you think that would help? Also I can create another thread for my OC settings to keep this one on topic.
    GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev 2 - FF) / Core i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz (thanks to LSDMeAsap & Waza300) / 6GB CORSAIR Dominator DDR3-1600MHZ (TR3X6G1600C8D) / EBAYED VERY INCOMPATIBLE RAM OCZ DDR3-2000MHZ (OCZ3G2000LV6GK) / Batmobile Gigabyte ATI HD 5770 1GB (GV-R577UD-1GD) / OSX 10.7.1 (64 bit) (Retail + iBoot + MultiBeast - Thanks TonyMac & MacMan) / Zalman CNPS10X Ultra Quiet / Fractal Design R2 Black / Be Quiet Special Edition 600W / WD 1TB / Segate 1TB / Sony Optiarc AD-5260B

Well all those changes are fine, I was more concerned with you not having changed things in the MIT section in regards to the CPU and memory.

Great to hear you are now overclocking, so you will be familiar with the BIOS when I suggest changes for you.

Yes, when you get a chance give us your current full settings from the MIT section of the BIOS. There is a template linked in my signature that you can use to give us your settings, then we'll advise back.

XMP is not suggested by me, I'll help you get things setup directly. You can continue in this thread if you want, no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well all those changes are fine, I was more concerned with you not having changed things in the MIT section in regards to the CPU and memory.

Great to hear you are now overclocking, so you will be familiar with the BIOS when I suggest changes for you.

Yes, when you get a chance give us your current full settings from the MIT section of the BIOS. There is a template linked in my signature that you can use to give us your settings, then we'll advise back.

XMP is not suggested by me, I'll help you get things setup directly. You can continue in this thread if you want, no problem
    I was using XMP pre-OC but I'm now using half XMP - half manual. I've manually set DRAM Voltage, my CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS, and QPI/VTT - but all other memory settings are on Auto and XMP Profile = Profile 1.

Is it worth going through and setting all the other RAM timings and voltages or just leave them on Auto? I suppose you will get a better idea when I post my whole BIOS template.

The reason I said XMP before was because I thought if I was loading optimised to check the boot that using XMP would be a quick way to get the RAM in order to check the boot with.

I'll get my template up later and we can go from there?

Some we will leave on auto, such as the advanced sub timings. The main thing is finding the right QPI/Vtt amount, and getting your uncore set properly.

XMP is hit or miss, and often it's miss, so I always suggest against using it.

Yes, once you get your settings posted here I'll advise back. Please also link to the exact kit of memory you have, thanks!

I have just tried the latest FC5 bios and still no change in the bootup behavior - installed via qflash, loaded optimised settings and then manual settings in MIT

I would also rule out my very new Corsair HX 650 PSU - it quite happily kept my C2Q Q9550 supplied when O/C to 3.8ghz, even tho i7's are more demanding, by my calculations there should be plenty of PSU headroom here.

I have tried manually setting RAM and CPU frequencies and voltages to those recommended for a mild overclock.

I have decided to order some Corsair Ram that is on the Gigabyte compatibilty list, so we will see if that makes a difference.

I am keen to find out how notshy gets on as well - great here forum guys, very good tech help :)
    Last edited by Rebel801; 11-11-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information