Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 460 OC settings + fan profile help

Default 460 OC settings + fan profile help

I received my GTX460 OC 1gb yesterday and since everyone seems to push them higher I thought i would too. I'm really no expert with OC'ing so i wasn't sure what changes i should make.

I've download MSI Afterburner and upped my settings to 800/1600/2000 (i just copied someone else). My case is pretty good (Coolermaster 690 II Adv.) with pretty decent airflow so hopefully temperatures should be ok.

I haven't done any stress tests yet so i cant say if it's stable or not. What i'd like to know is what's a 'safe' maximum overclock on this card and whats a safe maximum temperature for it to run at under load.

Also, what are the symptoms of GPU instability? What should i look about for when running furmark or playing games?

Lastly, I see lots of people talking about custom fan profiles and was wondering if i should be using one or if its ok to leave the card and afterburner to do its own thing?

Many thanks.

Default Re: 460 OC settings + fan profile help

you should try and push as far as you want to go or can go on stock voltages,look for any artifacts on screen,they appear like black blocks or tiny flecks,then back down on memory clocks or core clocks and retest,as long as your 100% stable,regarding voltages i dont know with that card,maybe someone can help you more but i would try and go as far as you can on stock voltages for now,for fan speed set it to a percentage thats not noisy,it will spin up higher if temps go up,i set mine to 54% constant and cant hear it at all but your card might be different
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd definitely take a closer look at temperatures. Afterburner monitors temps, but GPU-Z gives a better readout as Afterburner only shows the temps from the last 30 seconds or so.

As you can see, I have the same case as you and have two of these cards and temps aren't bad at all. Hottest I've seen in games is 77c for the top card and 73c for the bottom. They will get warmer if not vented propperly though so make sure you have installed a 120mm fan in the side pannel nearest the PCIe slots and have it blow cool air from outside the case onto the cards.

As for voltage, Afterburner will only allow you to go to 1087mV anyway, which will definitely not cause damage on its own. What will cause damage is heat, so as long as temps are fine, any voltage you need to add will also be fine. Personally I've found the wall for my cards to be 875MHz at 1050mV. The RAM will easily stand being clocked to 2000MHz in Afterburner, but IME not too much higher. The cards will go higher but I see zero benefit and a large increase intemperatures. By zero benefit I mean that it doesn't suddenly make unplayable settings playable and therefore adds nothing to the experience.

For stability, in all honesty, Furmark isn't the best thing to use. In fact it's often been refered to as a "Power Virus". It pushes a card way way beyond how it would be used in actuality. I know that's usually the idea when stability testing, but Furmark really does IMO go too far. It's even killed cards set at stock speeds and for a while AMD included a driver profile for Furmark that down-clocked the card when ever it was run.

Much better to use a couple of benchmark versions of recent games. You can download them as standalone benchmarks and they are much more real world. You can download Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 4, Lost Plannet 2, Final Fantasy 14 benchmark versions free. Also get a copy of Unigine Heaven and run the benchmark test in a couple of loops. Set resolution to the native for your LCD and leave tessilation on normal, with all other settings at default. For stability clues, and especially in Unigine, look for tiny coloured squared (artifacts) covering textures, texture shimmering and strange momentary flashes. Even with settings that are free from atrifacts, you may notice these flashes that look like a camera flash going off. When I experienced them in Unigene and Dirt 2 (both using DirectX11 render paths) they were blue in colour and last for a matter of milliseconds. Sometimes there will be several in quick succession and other times you have to really watch close and are left thinking "Did I see that or imagine it? Is it part of the game?". There are real camera flashes in Dirt2 originating from the crowd, but they aren't blue.

Other stability issues you may experience include the usual stuttering and temporary freezing, as well as both temporary and persistant black screens. Sometimes the black screens will be accompanied by a warning in the notification area of the taskbar, usually something like "The display driver had stopped responding and was recovered". Black screens are usually a GPU issue rather than VRAM and can be cured in a lot of cases by a voltage bump. In some cases you can experience a persistant black screen where the PC completely stops responding or even where the PC will instantly reboot. Either of these is more likely due to VRM's overheating. The only solutions to this are to either cool the VRM's better by increasing air flow to the cards and increasing fan speeds or simply by lowering voltage and/or your over clock.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

kick is offline Senior Member

You dont say what brand it is or your system components?/psu type
    ie has the psu got 2 pcie connectors or are you using 1 molex adapter.

From day1 on mine I was able to run it at 850/1700/1000(4000)
    but gpu temp was running around the mid 80's and fan speed around 80%

this was testing using occt gpu test ,which is similar to furmark or the old atitool or even msi kombustor,tho that is milder.
    These are all "furry" moving objects that get your gpu very hot.

Since solving any worries about the cards power draw:aparrently it can pull 200w at very high overclocks.
    Ive tested at 900mhzgpu/1100 memory .It works but doesnt feel comfortable at that speed.

Maybe a good solution would be like wazza for fan speed. Set it at 50%(for me that is a little above the volume of my other fans, but not bad) and leave it there .According to Psycho's temps 50% might be good enough for 875 mhz too.

I use (840/850)1.025v/1700/1050(4200).

A consideration for me at least is the card design pumps a lot of heat back into the case and not enough out the back.
    On my card which is a gainward gs originally 700mhz gpu and 900mhz mem speed
    Using 260.99 drivers,5 thermocouple sensors and unengine heaven running continuously for load.

850/1700/4200
    GPU temp = 70-73C (idle 23C , card is in low load mode)
    *vrm temp on gx card 64C (idle 27.2C)
    *MCH temp 1= 42.1C(idle 32.6C)
    *MCH temp 2 =43.9C(idle 34.3C)
    *Sbridge temp = 38.1C(idle 28.1C)
    *DDR2(system memory) temp = 44C(idle 32.4)
    System temp = 35C(idle 25C)

Components that are close to the card heat up a lot.Southbridge ,northbridge and memory are all clustered around the gx card so get some of its heat when its working hard
    The temps marked with an * are direct reading sensors so I cant exactly do a screenshot of them..
    The standard fan profile using the 260.99 drivers leaves the 460 fan runnning at exactly 40% approx 1850 rpm all the way from gpu temp of 23C up to 69-70C.
    At that point the fan speed starts to increase.
    Once the fan speed gets over 48-50% you can start to hear it,by 70% + it gets very loud.
    On the setup and speed I have now tho the gpu never gets over 65C in normal use.a 10mhz speed increase to say 860 and it would tho.
    Anything over 850 and I would have to use a fan profile like on my old 9600gt.
    9600gt(at least the one I had gpu would only overclock to 700mhz from 650 reliably,would it test at say 730,yes it would but thats not really the same thing.)
    This fan is just too loud to have it running over say 45% when its not needed 95% of the time.
    You could set a profile based on gpu temp that would kick fan speed up to say 50% at 65C gpu and then hold that until 70 then at 72C fan speed to 60% until 77C.From using fan profiles before , I found you had to leave a 2c gap between temperature ranges.
    Then again because of the card design the extra heat is going to go into the case as much as out the back ,so if you are overclocking the rest of the pc it may affect that even if it can hold the overclock.
    Im sure you like most people want an "allways stable" overclock.Not something you might have to turn down for certain games etc.

There are 460 IG cards for sale now that come pre overclocked to 830 mhz,perhaps even 850 by now,i havent checked for awhile.
    The memory chips on my card are supposed to be good for 1000mhz I leave them at 1050(2100,4200) depending on how u measure the memory speed.

nb the case in my sig. I got it recently brand new for like $20 in a clearance and am really happy with it.
    Its full width well, 21cm big enough for my cooler and it looks good too not like the 6AR6 which is exactly the same except for the standard silvery front panel and black blanking plates for the bays.

Here is a 900mhz vantage run.However its with the fan locked on 80%
    If you dont mind noise or you have a quiet cooling solution, the 460 certainly clocks well.
    For this the gpu temp didnt exceed 65C and vrm temps were around 40-45C.Interior case temps werent too bad but its just a test.
    Like cpu-z validation marks are just tests

Attachment 3003
    Last edited by kick; 11-13-2010 at 04:01 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks a lot for the info guys. It seems to be fine on 800/1600/2000 at the moment. I'll experiment going higher once i have all my case fans attached.

My PSU is a Corsair modular 520W so not amazingly powerful. I'm using its two PCI-E 6pin cables, not the molex to 6pin cables that came with the card.

My CPU and motherboard, if it matters, is a C2D E8400@3.7ghz on a Gigabyte P43 board.

kick is offline Senior Member

For interest.
    The 800 gpu speed doent seem much of a strain at all. It probably depends on things like
    1 card or 2 cards (or more ) in sli and getting their maximum vs your cpu and memory overclock.

Like if your oc is running at or near its 24/7 limit and you get a new gx card ,you may have to drop your system clocks down a little to get the maximum from your gx card(s).
    Then you move on to the apps..games,multimedia .wotever:
    Getting the balance between overall performance and .lets narrow it to cpu performance.
    Thats probably some of the reason 3d mark introduced cpu components into their tests (marketing).
    Anyway
    Lets say 800mhz from a card u bought as standard 675mhz gpu is around the maximum your 460 OC will do on an unstressed pc,then you have the decision on what sort of clocks u want to go for,more gx vs more rest of the system.
    I know there is some resistance to max stressing cpu/memory and gx combined but if you run stable on something like occt psu test for 20-30 min ,you probably wont get any "oh I thought it was good at clock x on this,but when I used app/game y it locked up."

Attachment 3004
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information