Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Reset button on the P55A-UD4 - slow/strange reset

Arrow Reset button on the P55A-UD4 - slow/strange reset

GA-P55A-UD4

I'm used to reset happening instantly, but with this MB is like this:
    1. press reset button
    2. pause of 1-2 seconds
    3. sustained beep (~1 sec)
    4. power down
    5. power up

Is it normal? What could be wrong?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Reset button on the P55A-UD4 - slow/strange reset

What BIOS are you using?

Are you sure you have the reset button connected to the reset header and not the power on/off header?

Reset should be instant as you expected, now if the system is frozen or badly clocked then this can cause issues with instant reset, but normal function when all is running smoothly is instant.

The BIOS is F14.

I double, no triple checked that it's connected properly. When I first had it connected the "+" and "-" colors were swapped, but that shouldn't matter for the reset button anyway. But now it's connected properly.

The only possibility in this regard is that the button or something there got damaged or there's a short circuit somewhere.. (I was using this case with another MB before, reset worked fine).
    I'll try to short the pins with a screw driver to rule out the button/wires.

Ya, switched wires on reset shouldn't matter, nor should a short as that would just make it always on/off because it would be shorted.

I'd test the switch for sure with a screwdriver as you mentioned.

Are you at stock CPU speeds?

If you try the screwdriver test and it fails, try it outside of the case next to be sure there isn't a short anywhere or anything funny going on in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    GA-P55A-UD4

I'm used to reset happening instantly, but with this MB is like this:
    1. press reset button
    2. pause of 1-2 seconds
    3. sustained beep (~1 sec)
    4. power down
    5. power up

Is it normal? What could be wrong?
    I have the same motherboard for about a year now and the reset button works exactly the way you described. I'm sure it's not normal but I never tried to find out what's causing it. On the other hand, I usually press reset only when the system is frozen which in my case could be the cause of this strange behavior. I'll do some tests tomorrow and I'll let you know.

If you only use it when the system is frozen, then the strange behavior mentioned in this thread would seem normal, but it's not.

Well I mean not normal for a stable working system, it is normal however for a unstable frozen system :)

Quote Originally Posted by ukulele View Post
    I have the same motherboard for about a year now and the reset button works exactly the way you described. I'm sure it's not normal but I never tried to find out what's causing it. On the other hand, I usually press reset only when the system is frozen which in my case could be the cause of this strange behavior. I'll do some tests tomorrow and I'll let you know.
    Interesting.

I remember I tried to reset a normally working session and it was the same. So I don't think it's related to the system being frozen. But I'm eager to hear of any further developments and confirmations from your (or anyone else's) side.

Did some testing and.. mystery solved! :)

Not overclocked (CPU frequency on auto and EIST enabled) it resets instantly.

With an overclock (3.5 GHz, still stock voltages) it resets slowly, as described in the first post. Although this time it didn't make a beep (maybe that's only for freezes or for big overclocks or something else..).

Perhaps this is a safety measure by Gigabyte, to do a more thorough reset (or power down/power up) with overclocks. It's the only thing that would make sense to me, apart from it being a bug or malfunction.

Thanks to both!

Yep, I tested it too and everything is OK without overclock. I also noticed that my PC speaker doesn't work at all (no beep, even when the system starts from power off state) when the system is overclocked.

Thread Information