Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA 73 PVM - Booting problem

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA 73 PVM - Booting problem

Yeh it does ,if you use the cntrl+ f1 method to get to it and the other basic memory timings + you can adjust memory speed in 1 mhz increments if u want.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Cool, then he probably needs to raise the tRD (Static tRead Value) to use both sticks of memory.

That setting too tight is often what causes the error of many multiple fast beeps on startup

Well I see there are MIT settings and It's all set to auto, though even on Auto it shows ram speed on 800 MHZ...and there is a specific voltage.

I still have my graphic card inserted and connected. It was running on 4 gigs for a pretty long time...almost 1.5 years. So this is all pretty sudden.

I dont understand what 'tRD' is. If I had to change my RAM voltage when using 4 GB of RAM, then why didnt this problem happen before. It's pretty wierd that its happenning now.

Anyways, like I said before, the long repeated beeps are gone for now. The Blue screen has taken over. The PC gets BSOD'ed every now and then. Sometimes it runs for 2 hours...sometimes 20 minutes...very unpredictable. Each time Windows restarts it gives a message stating that the PC has recovered from an error. When I check Details it mentions error type as Blue Screen and Problem code as 'a'. sometimes problem code will be '3b' as well.

So how do I proceed?

tRD is a setting, in your BIOS it may be called tRD or it may be called Static tRead Value.

On the MAIN Page of your BIOS, the first one you see when you enter it, press Control + F1 at the same time, the screen will flash.

Then go into the MIT Section, and you will see more advanced memory timings. There you will find this setting, manually raise it to 8 or 9 for now, with one stick of memory installed, then save/apply/reboot F10 to windows and then shut down.

Then install the second stick, and start the system and see if that resolves your many fast beeps on startup

It sounds like one or both of your memory modules are going bad, you should test them one at a time using Memtest86+
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Run the test for 5-10 passes on each stick, see if the results differ any.

Yeh could well be memory,but it seems really unlucky that both sticks could be going,
    Assuming(yeh assuming is allways a bad plan) that 1 stick is ok you should be able to get the machine working as before except slower,if the loading and saving optimised defaults didnt fix up your OS.What version of windows is it btw?
    Then you tried raising tRD and still no luck it is possible the stick you have in now is the one "going bad".

I mean maybe it was under more strain when there were 2 sticks in but now that its on its own,it might be still "sick" but able to limp into the OS ok? and then possibly the stick that is out of the machine is the "good" one?
    Easy enough to test.
    To get your os working proerly you might have to do a dskcheck before logging into windows,if data on it was corrupted, or hit the repair console.
    If it is the memory 1 or both sticks failing,you should be able to get it replaced ,as far as I know most branded manufacturers have a 3 year + or even a lifetime guarantee,and its not like it was overvolted !.

What does the pc health section show as the ram voltage? Mine allways shows 1.82-1.84V (it varies up and down slightly over a minute or so it mainly shows 1.8275v)
    Last edited by kick; 11-20-2010 at 04:51 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Sorry guys for not being able to follow up on the reply (which were really helpful by the way)...just been busy with work.

While I did not yet do the memtest...here is something which I'd like to ask you guys about.

Now I have two RAM slots on the mobo...and two sticks of RAM. I have tried putting them in one by one again to see what happens. One of the sticks gives the beeping noise in both slots...and I think its gone bad...so RIP

Now the other stick when inserted into Slot 1 boots up the OS fine and gives me Blue Screens at random. I tried inserting this semi-working stick into Slot 2 and it wont boot up...same beeping noise. Does this mean that the motherboard is also going to kick the bucket?

yeh its a 2 slot mbrd.
    Like I said it would be very unlucky if both sticks went bad.Tho I have seen people posting that one stick went and then the other before.

What about my previous post,what does the pc health section show as the voltage going to the memory.

Did you raise the static read ,see above^.

Did you go into bios and load and save optimised defaults ,with just one memory stick in,the one you think is good?

My 5 year old memory that I use in it,one 500 mb stick and one 1G stick.I have to use with the 500 stick in one slot only.. i cant remember which and Im too lazy to go checking,but anyway for u use the slot closest to the cpu all the time.

Make sure your OS is set so that thinks there is only 1 stick and not expecting 2,check the swapfile is on auto.
    Maybe reduce the memory size set for VGA.
    Use the gx card with one stick and the onboard gx with the one "good stick" to see if blue screens remain.

1 stick of bad ram could have caused data corruption on the hdd did you error check and defrag it?
    Did you memtest the one good stick of ram?

You could also turn down clock speed on cpu,increase voltage on cpu,turn down memory and increase memory timings to put less strain on it.

Cant guarantee its the memory tho,at least I cant.
    The fact that you have been running the pc for so long makes things even harder to identify.

The ideal thing is to have a backup for each component,or at least access to a loaner for each part.

Were talking as if its ram, but it may not be .

That board type Ive been running for maybe 10hrs a week for 2 years and wih lots of different bits and pieces in it It took awhile to get my 9600gt working properly in it,but one of the main things is to get into the bios as quickly as possible and reload optimised defaults if you make any change,or if you get problems short out the cmos to reset the bios.
    Be sure you do that with your 1 stick of ram if it keeps giving blue screens after the windows repair.
    Current Systems:

It may just be the one bad stick, some boards need both sticks installed to use the other channel, otherwise only one memory slot is meant to be used in single module mode.

So you could RMA the set if you still can, or just buy a new set of two modules. I would not buy a single module to mix with the old module.

Well, I've done some extensive testing. Phew...didnt know that each RAM pass would take north of 30 minutes atleast. So one of the RAMS is giving consistent errors...though the number of errors itself is not consistent...on one pass I had 5700 errors...and on another there were only 6.

The other RAM however(which is popping up blue screens) is not giving any errors at all on both RAM slots...so looks like its either fine or just about to go bad. I've tried doing it with the graphic card, without the graphic card...im getting the blue screens both with and without the graphic card.

I am going to do the trD checks tonight as soon as I get back home from work. Let's see how it goes...looks like I'll be needing some new RAM though...and I cant trust the mobo as well.

Sounds like one stick for sure is bad, the others with BSOD issues could just be the settings causing problems.

Good luck with the continued testing, let us know what you find!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information