Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GA 73 PVM - Booting problem

Default Re: GA 73 PVM - Booting problem

I guess I'm in major turmoil now. And the worst part is I still cant figure out whats wrong....this post may be a little OT considering I have tried to change mobos as well...so mods please forgive me if you feel this is out of place. However, god bless anyone who can help me out here....

You all know I have having problems with my ram which turned out bad while doing memtest. I thought instead of replacing them with ddr 2 ram(which is costlier now), ill just go ahead and get a mobo and ddr 3 ram. So here is my slightly changed config.

OLD Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 proccy
    NEW ASROCK G41 VS3 DDR 3 mobo
    NEW Kingston 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR 3 1333 MHZ RAM
    NEW Coolermaster HAF 922(old case was dying it, fans were not working)
    OLD Hitachi 320 GB HDD
    OLD Palit 9600 GT 512 MB

So I connected everything properly and pushed switched it on. Remember my HDD had Windows 7 already installed from last time. So when it booted up, it went to the Starting Windows screen and then BSOD'ed....this kept happening at the exact same moment after repeated restarts. So I tried the same thing by changing FSB's of the ram from 1000 to 1066 to 1333. Same results...Goddamn BSOD's.

I then tried formatting the whole HDD and installed Windows 7 on it again from a bootable disc. The OS would not install and would some times BSOD during installation. It usually happened during the Expanfding Windows files part of the installation. So I thought the old GPU must be the problem. I removed the GPU and connected it to the onboard Intel X4500 chipset....This time the OS installed just fine. Thought the GPU was the culprit....but it was not so.

Just to see if everything was fine I tried scheduling a disc check. As soon as I did the scheduling....the screen suddenly went funky...horizontal black lines appeared in rows in the screen and I think they were flickering slightly....not sure what the hell happenned there.

So restarted....this time tried doing the windows system rating thingy. It went fine until the loading bar went to 90+ percent....and then once again BSOD....

Really at loss to whats going on here...the BSOD messages are different from the last setup....sometimes its BAD POOL something error...sometimes its MEMORY something error...

Anyone getting whats going on here?
    Last edited by gryfindor1; 12-05-2010 at 03:35 AM.

kick is offline Senior Member

1.Something I didnt want to go into earlier is the 73 pvm doesnt really do ddr2 mode .
    Its like set doesnt do dual channel, but that may be moot now.

2.there are no real moderators here except lsdme.the rest are just interested posters.

3. Ive no idea on asrock mbrds but I think neary all motherboards have fail safe settings
    If there is something dodgy , install windows using those.
    With a mbrd and memory change you should be getting the windows warning that you need to reregister your copy of windows.Did you get that far?

4.Go with the theory that its the old parts that are the problem..there are 3 possibles

(a)It seems its not the 9600gt.
    You have tried two onboard graphics setups and you are still having bsod's and yet it could be gx related.
    Ill get to that in a minute.

(b)The hdd ,get into Dos if you can and do a chkdsk,disckcheck on that ,if possible or even from safe mode boot up.

(c) The psu ..it could be giving out
    the 9600gt if installed will need extra power.

btw your psu does it have a dedicated 6pin power supply for the gx card or are you using some kind of adapter?
    The 9600gt should work without any extra power lead installed,you will just get a warning in windows like (your gx card will work crap if you want to test)

The case change I dont follow? was there a psu included in it.. or did you just mean you think the fans were worn out.

If you are still using the original psu.that could be the problem as you even suspected in your original post,.. fans not starting or not spinning up fast enough is either the fans themselves or the psu.
    an irq < bsod message is sometimes indicative of insufficient V/power.

What sort of psu is it and did you get a new one with the case?
    My own psu,that I use on the 73 pvm is a real pos $25 one that I bought just to round out my order cost at the time but thats not really important.

I hope we didnt prod you into buying new parts..I mean we would have gotten onto the psu evntually ,depending on your test feedback.

(d) the other option is the cpu,but that seems the least likely atm
    Last edited by kick; 12-05-2010 at 04:47 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Well...After the mobo and memory change...windows was not booting up let alone getting any warnings....it was immediately giving me a blue screen.

So I formatted the whole HDD...completely deleted all partitions, redid partitions and installed OS again...which as my last post says, did not go well initially...but eventually win 7 did get installed.

My psu is a corsair 450 vx and yes it does have the 6 pin connector. As for the change of case, I dont think it was a power problem, I could visibly see some fan cables damaged...well the case was 4 years old and has been shuffled around all over the world, even the side panel was cracked slightly...

Anyways, I've been searching around the internet and as think I might have a hold on the problem. If this is truly the cause of the problem, I cant help but feel really really stupid....I have not installed ANY drivers...at all...no mobo, no gpu, no nothing...and even though Win 7 usually does it all on its own...There may be something I need to install...I'll try this as soon as I get home in 6 hours time...

However, considering my bad run of luck recently, that could just be part of the problem...

yeh drivers are allways helpfull :) ok well let us know
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Allright...

I unplugged the GPU and installed the motherboard drivers, Lan drivers, Sound drivers and also the onboard Intel x4500 drivers. While extracting a winzip file the screen just froze with graphical garbage on screen...you know that wierd combination of colors. Something like this happenned once before without the GPU with black lines all across the screen.

Not sure what the mess on screen means.

Anyways, I installed the GPU again, did the drivers and tried a few rounds of UT2k4 demo. There wasnt any blue screen....YET. I am going to do some more testing by installing and running UDK. Lets see what happens.

Does anyone know why those graphical garbage might have turned up on the screen?

You are talking about the latest system bits yes>?

Take the 9600gt out.
    Boot up in the worst safe mode you can 640 x 480 vga or whatever..
    Get any gx card drivers off the hdd (uninstall them)
    For nvidia cards you can take out anything that says nvidia anywhere on the pc.
    If youre using a nvid cipset board like the 73 pvm ,you cant ,but thats another story.
    Then get stable .Then use a recent gx driver that cleans out the old ones properly.
    Do get the system running in safe mode first.
    Current Systems:

You are talking about the latest system bits yes>?

Take the 9600gt out.
    Boot up in the worst safe mode you can 640 x 480 vga or whatever..
    Get any gx card drivers off the hdd (uninstall them)
    For nvidia cards you can take out anything that says nvidia anywhere on the pc.
    If youre using a nvid cipset board like the 73 pvm ,you cant ,but thats another story.
    Then get stable .Then use a recent gx driver that cleans out the old ones properly.
    Do get the system running in safe mode first.
    Current Systems:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information