Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-X58A-UD3R + Intel i7 950 - Running way too hot

Default GA-X58A-UD3R + Intel i7 950 - Running way too hot

Hi all, I've recently purchased and assembled a computer, using the aforementioned Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and i7 950 cpu. I'm not using the stock heat sink/thermal paste, but instead a Thermaltake SpinQ VT Cooler and thermal pads. A friend of mine has mentioned that that level of cooling should be overkill unless I was overclocking my CPU.

However, the actual result differs massively from what I was expecting. On idle, the CPU runs at an enormous 50-60C, and at full load it reaches the Tjunction limit, which is ridiculous, considering it's not even being overclocked. I'm assuming I must have done something wrong here, but I can't figure out what it might be. The heat sink appears to be seated properly (and I did reseat it once already just in case), the thermal pads are high quality stuff, and the fan is of course working. I just don't know what else to do and I can't risk using my brand new computer while it runs so hot.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by TheDarkEnigma; 11-20-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Fixing a typo

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R + Intel i7 950 - Running way too hot

I'm not familiar with that cooler but from the reviews I've just read there are quite a few better ones one the market that are much better for the same or less money. You still should not be seeing those temps though.
    At one point you say you're using a thermal pad and another is thermal paste.If you're really using a pad I suggest removing it and using a good quality TIM. The general consensus here in Arctic Cooling's MX-2, you can find it here. There are instruction for application on their website listed under support on the right side of the page. If applied correctly I'm sure you will see much better temps.
    MB: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2 BIOS FC3
    CPU: i7 950 W/
    Kingwin HTC XT-1264 & Scythe fan.
    RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB 998805
    V/C: Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    PSU:
    ABS Dark Beret 1000w
    Case: Atnec P180
    HDD: 1x Crucial C300 64GB & 2x WD Caviar Blue 500GB raid 0

Quote Originally Posted by anit77 View Post
    I'm not familiar with that cooler but from the reviews I've just read there are quite a few better ones one the market that are much better for the same or less money. You still should not be seeing those temps though.
    At one point you say you're using a thermal pad and another is thermal paste.If you're really using a pad I suggest removing it and using a good quality TIM. The general consensus here in Arctic Cooling's MX-2, you can find it here. There are instruction for application on their website listed under support on the right side of the page. If applied correctly I'm sure you will see much better temps.
    Yeah, it's a pad. The paste bit was a freudian slip, though I do have some I could use. It's standard Thermaltake stuff however, so I don't honestly know if it'll be any better than what I'm using. Either way, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

do you have to heat up the cpu to cure the thermal pad? and then let it cool down before use? did you look in the bios at the cpu voltages? if they are too high it will cause overheating,personally i would buy a better cooler with a backplate,intel pushpin based coolers arnt very good and the force you have to use to lock them inplace can damage your mb,the prolimatech megahalems is the best cooler imo for the money,and buy two decent fans to go with it as it wont come with any,but its up to you
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    do you have to heat up the cpu to cure the thermal pad? and then let it cool down before use? did you look in the bios at the cpu voltages? if they are too high it will cause overheating,personally i would buy a better cooler with a backplate,intel pushpin based coolers arnt very good and the force you have to use to lock them inplace can damage your mb,the prolimatech megahalems is the best cooler imo for the money,and buy two decent fans to go with it as it wont come with any,but its up to you
    No, as far as the instructions went, there was no need to cure the thermal pad before use. On that note though, to get the temperature results that I have I ran some temperature tests which did just that anyway. As far as the voltage goes, I just checked and the vcore is 1.22V, with the PLL being 1.5 I think. Dunno, doesn't seem excessive to me at all. I hear turning off Hyper Threading reduces the temperature, but I'd rather not turn off useful features unless I HAVE to.

I kind of have to agree with you on the pushpin thing too; after installing it I never want to touch another of those again. My biggest problem with buying another cooler, of course, is that this one is brand new and I'd like to get value for money. I'm not even sure if it would be better to just use the stock cooler at this rate...

its no good though if the cooler isnt performing well,reviews arnt that reliable anyway untill you test it yourself you cant really know how well it performs,1.2v for cpu is fine and multithreading should run fine too,temps should be around the late 30c's early 40c's on the cores,what are your ambient room temps like? could you exchange the cooler for a more popular one? with a backplate?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The pad is part of the issue, you should use paste as mentioned above.

The other part of the issue is that this cooler was really designed for 775 setups, and didn't really cool them all that well either, so you may not end up with very good temps no matter what on a quad 1366.

You may need to look at getting a better cooler, better designed to cool 1366 CPU's, then sell this one.

Ok so I took out the pad, cleaned the CPU and cooler and applied the standard thermaltake paste. Instant 10C difference in idle temp - now it idles at 37-38C. I ran the RealTemp test on it and this time instead of heating up to 100C almost immediately the CPU remained under 70C even at max use. Now I can actually use my computer for more than web browsing! (And possibly overclock it too)

Verdict - Thermal pads are a waste of money, and you guys are awesome for helping me. Thanks to everyone who left a response!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to hear you were able to get some decent temp finally!

Thanks for the update

Thread Information