Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: -FIXED- GA-EP31-DS3L MB Bios update issue

Lightbulb -FIXED- GA-EP31-DS3L MB Bios update issue

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and actually signed up to try and get a handle on the below problem. This is a great site and the info here was really helpful. For that reason I thought I should post my problem and solution here on the off chance it can help someone.

I was recently having a problem in Windows 7 (32bit) going to BSOD when booting, it would get to the logo and then crash. Looking into it it seemed my nvidia graphics card was to blame, despite all drivers being up to date. It would eventually load up after auto restart. After exhausting all options (and I mean ALL!) I decided on a bios update as the bios on my system was about 2 1/2 years old.

I am new to bios updating and decided to use Gigabytes in-house software, @bios, to perform the update (I didn't want to install the wrong bios). After performing the update I restarted the system, however, I foolishly didn't run bios setup to reconfigure the bios for my needs (I run two harddrives, and its default is to install from the older drive that used to have kubuntu on it), so I got the standard grub failure message. I restarted the system and all I got was a blank screen every time. I figured I had fried my bios.

After a lot of research I settled on at least trying a cmos reset, not expecting any results there. But lo and behold, it worked first time. This time I set up the bios boot parameters correctly and its been smooth sailing (So Far!) and it even fixed the BSOD error I was constantly having.

Just one final note. If anyone having issues stumbles upon this, please try everything else to fix your problems first, from this hair raising experience I can tell you that a bios update is NOT for the faint hearted or those who don't know what to do. I literally spent hours researching this before attempting it and I still came very close to a total catastrophe!

Default Re: -FIXED- GA-EP31-DS3L MB Bios update issue

Every single job , even to bake bred , needs knowledge.

Bios update - compatibility settings - diagnostics.
    Every subject , involves lots of knowledge.

Unfortunately the modern marketing about computers sales ,
    had use as marketing trick to boost sales the idea of " Built it your self " .
    But they do not say what you have to know, so to do it.

I have plenty stories to share, about issues that I found on my Gigabyte motherboard,
    or the ASUS that I had before this , or the ABIT that I had before the ASUS.
    No one worked properly by just pressing the power button.
    EP35C-DS3R F4 | Q6600 | ProlimaTech Armageddon
    HYPER-X KHX1600C8D3T1K2 /4GX
    PC3-12800 1600MHz (1066 CL 6-6-6-21)
    ATI HD 5770 Vapor - X| X-Fi music |RAID-1 WD Raptors
    HIPER HPU-4M780-PE

XP PRO 32bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: -FIXED- GA-EP31-DS3L MB Bios update issue

I think so

And we just analyze the proper way of handling such or similar issues .
    EP35C-DS3R F4 | Q6600 | ProlimaTech Armageddon
    HYPER-X KHX1600C8D3T1K2 /4GX
    PC3-12800 1600MHz (1066 CL 6-6-6-21)
    ATI HD 5770 Vapor - X| X-Fi music |RAID-1 WD Raptors
    HIPER HPU-4M780-PE

XP PRO 32bit

Thread Information