Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: only 4 of 6 GB memory usable in Win 7 64 bit (other 2 GB Hardware Reserved)

Default Re: only 4 of 6 GB memory usable in Win 7 64 bit (other 2 GB Hardware Reserved)

reply to post #6 wazza300:

"i can see the full amount of memory in the bios in that pic so i dont think the ram/boot test will help with anything,it seems when its in windows its losing 2gb of ram"

I want to be sure that the description of my problem is very clear.
    When I have BIOS FA loaded then only 4GB of the 6GB is seen in Windows, only 4GB enabled by BIOS.
    When I have BIOS FB or FC then all 6GB is seen in Windows and 6GB enabled in BIOS.
    With BIOS FA when only 4GB is seen the memory test does not generate any errors but Windows uses only 4GB of the memory
    With BIOS FB or FC all 6GB of memory is seen and the memory test generates thousands of errors.
    The reason I started to use the memory test is that the only way I know that there are problems is that I get Blue screens (occasionally) with BIOS FB. My thinking was if I could find a method to "find errors" quickly that this would be a benefit. That is why I got the idea to start to use a memory test.

I have taken pictures of the BIOS "Current Status" screen for both BIOS FA and BIOS FC.

BIOS FA Current Status:

BIOS FC Current Status:

You can see in BIOS FC (FB is the same) that the BIOS has DIMM in slots 1/3/5 and enable 1/3/5. However in BIOS FA the BIOS has DIMM in slots 1/3/5 and enable 2/4. I have also see this screen with 1/3 - I'm not sure why it sometimes changes.

Since I was taking pictures I decided to take picture of all the potentially relevant screens in the BIOS - maybe an experienced person looking at them will help determine what is going on. If I missed one - let me know.

BIOS FC Top level:

BIOS FC MB Intelligent Tweaker:

BIOS FC Advanced Frequency Settings:

BIOS FC Advanced Memory Settings:

BIOS FC Channel A Timing (only did channel A - can do B/C if needed):

BIOS FC Channel A Turnaround Settings:

BIOS FC Advanced Voltage Settings:

Default Re: only 4 of 6 GB memory usable in Win 7 64 bit (other 2 GB Hardware Reserved)

reply to post #7 Judge-dredd:

The memory I am using is CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 which is Corsair XMS 3.
    It is 1.65V, 7-8-7-20.

In my response #11 in this thread I posted a number of digital images showing what the BIOS is assigning as far as timing/voltage goes.

Also in reply #8 Lsdmeasap says the memtest86 I am using is an older version as far as what is being displayed.

reply to post #8 Lsdmeasap:

I got my copy of memtest86 from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool.

4.1 is the latest version there. Where do you get the version you are talking about?

Did you see reply #3? It was suggested to change the memory/qpi voltages to 1.66 and 1.32 which did not make any difference in the memtest86 results (more details in reply #3). My experience with making changes like this is limited so please be clear with your suggestions.

does that ram support xmp? any change if you use xmp? i cant see anything out of place in your bios settings apart from needing more qpi/vtt voltage mybe 1.32v but youve allready tried that
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok - I think I finally have found something that may be the problem.

Response #10 Chike said "Might be just a defective memory module, try test them individually for a start."

I didn't know this board would work with a single DIMM but sure enough the manual says if using a single DIMM put it in either slot 1 or 3.

I took out the DIMMs and put them in one at a time in slot 1 and then booted the computer and ran the memory test.

One of the three DIMMs will not even boot. The other two boot and run memtest86 without and errors.

Now here is another interesting discovery. In my post #11:
    "You can see in BIOS FC (FB is the same) that the BIOS has DIMM in slots 1/3/5 and enable 1/3/5. However in BIOS FA the BIOS has DIMM in slots 1/3/5 and enable 2/4. I have also see this screen with 1/3 - I'm not sure why it sometimes changes."

What is interesting is my comment on BIOS FA and how even with DIMMs in slots 1/3/5 the picture shows that 2/4 are enabled.

Given we now know that one DIMM is bad I can tell you in that picture the bad DIMM is in slot 1.

Here is a picture where I put the bad DIMM in slot 3:

Notice when the bad DIMM is in slot 3 it enables 1 and 4.

Here is a picture where I put the bad DIMM in slot 5:

Notice when the bad DIMM is in slot 5 it enables 1 and 3.

That explains why I saw which slots got enabled changing. I just didn't realize what it was telling me.

The good news is BIOS FA is smart enough to recognize when you have a bad DIMM and it disables it for you.

The bad news is that BIOS FB and FC enable all the DIMMs and you find out one is bad when you get blue screens or run a memory test.

I'm not sure if this is the end of my experience with regard to the memory. I have learned a great deal from the input in this forum. It seems that the BIOS does not configure the memory per manufacturers specs (the memory voltage is not 1.65 and the memory timing is not set to 7-8-7-20. I am not sure what qpi is but it was suggested that value be increased. Another question was about XMP. I did a quick google search on that and it seems to be some automatic configuration for memory but I don't know if the memory supports it or not so that is more investigation. The first thing I am going to try to do is get replacement for the memory so I have 3 good DIMMs and then I will proceed.

Thanks to all that gave input. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Chike is offline Senior Member

I see in the FC BIOS picture XMP is disabled, the performance specs would be automatialy set only if it is enabled.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TGoose View Post
    reply to post #8 Lsdmeasap:

I got my copy of memtest86 from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool.

4.1 is the latest version there. Where do you get the version you are talking about?

Did you see reply #3? It was suggested to change the memory/qpi voltages to 1.66 and 1.32 which did not make any difference in the memtest86 results (more details in reply #3). My experience with making changes like this is limited so please be clear with your suggestions.
    The latest memtest86+ version I mentioned can be found here, sorry for not linking you to this when I mentioned it:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

Quote Originally Posted by TGoose View Post
    Ok - I think I finally have found something that may be the problem.

Response #10 Chike said "Might be just a defective memory module, try test them individually for a start."

I didn't know this board would work with a single DIMM but sure enough the manual says if using a single DIMM put it in either slot 1 or 3.

I took out the DIMMs and put them in one at a time in slot 1 and then booted the computer and ran the memory test.

One of the three DIMMs will not even boot.
    Great to see you found the problem, sorry to hear it's faulty memory but at least that's better than having to RMA the board.

You did test this suspect faulty module one at a time in all three white slots correct? A good module should boot by itself in any one of the white memory slots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information