Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P55A-UD3P with 12gb of RAM. (2x4gb and 2x2gb) It will work, right?

Default GA-P55A-UD3P with 12gb of RAM. (2x4gb and 2x2gb) It will work, right?

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P motherboard (dual-channel memory), for which I originally got 2x2gb Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM (TW3X4G1333C9A G). I have since realized that this is not enough for me (Win7 x64, I do music sequencing with some very large soundsets).

First of all, I would like to add a 2x4gb set of RAM to my existing memory (Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1333C9), for a total of 12gb. I know most systems like having identical sticks of RAM in all slots, but it shouldn't impact stability or anything else right? (Both RAM sets mentioned above have the same rated timings, and are rated at DDR3 standard 1.5v, rather than non-standard higher volted "enthusiast" memory.) On my old A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard (socket 939, DDR1) I did the same thing (3gb total, 2x1gb and 2x512mb) and the MB just reduced the RAM timings a bit; I didn't mind. I would much rather go with all 12gb than have to settle for just 8gb and store the other four.
    The main question I wanted to ask was, should I keep each RAM channel symmetrical, i.e. 6gb per channel, or should I keep each matched set of RAM in its own channel?
    I would tend to assume the former is correct, but I want to be sure before going ahead. I don't remember how I had my old system arranged.

Thank you for your time!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P55A-UD3P with 12gb of RAM. (2x4gb and 2x2gb) It will work, right?

You may or may not be able to mix memory like that, especially since those are different densities, your best bet would be to remove the older sticks otherwise you are asking for a headache probably.

You can try it though, but I doubt it will be easy to get stable if you can at all. It just may work though, but don't expect it to that way you are not upset you find it doesn't.

If you need 12GB, maybe sell the 4GB you have now and buy a 3x4GB kit instead, I've seen plenty of nice prices on those lately. You will loose dual channel that way though, so not sure what you should do, are you sure 8GB wont be enough?

If you do try it out, I'd put the 2x4GB in the white slots, and the 2x2GB in the blue slots, that would keep evenly match densities in each channel. You can also set the BIOS channels to different timings per channel too if you need to try that.

Default Re: GA-P55A-UD3P with 12gb of RAM. (2x4gb and 2x2gb) It will work, right?

Good stuff to know! I think I will go ahead and try it, unfortunately it now looks like it will be a while before I am able to do this anyway. (Other, non-computer, factors have arisen)

I will post back to let everybody know if this works, however it will probably be a couple of months.

Thanks for the good information, though!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Cool, well let us know how it works out.

Thread Information