Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: RAID 5 non OS drive

Default RAID 5 non OS drive

Hello Inerwebs,

So I have a single SSD currently hosting Windows 7 and my installed programs. I wanted some more storage space so I bought three 1.5 TB drives with the intention of putting them into a RAID 5 config for reliable storage. I plugged the drives into open SATA ports on the mobo.

First I booted to windows without any BIOS changes. Disk management saw all three drives, but windows does not let you do a software raid 5 so Looked in the manual on how to setup a raid and went with that.

Rebooted, got into the BIOS, and I changed SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to RAID. Saved changes and rebooted. The RAID bios loaded, but there was no option to hit ctrl+I to enter set up (so I could set those 3 drives into a raid). Windows tried to boot and blue screened. Am I missing something? I put it back to "Disabled" from RAID and booted into windows just fine. Ideas?

Default Re: RAID 5 non OS drive

Have you assigned the drives by pressing "ctrl" button and the "F" button (at the same time) during post, during the start up cycle?

when there press "1" and it will show your drives you should see three drives listed there and possibly your SSD there.

Now if you press "2" it will assign the drives you want to setup in the raid setup( be sure to press "tab" to select your settings while in this part)

Now if for some reason you want to delete the raid setup press "3" hi-light the drive blah blah and delete

And pressing "4" will show the status if it is active or not good luck hope this helps

Default Re: RAID 5 non OS drive

No dice. The issue is I can't get into the RAID configuration utility. The manual says to hit ctrl+I when prompted, but the prompt never comes. I tried hiting ctrl+f and ctrl+I from first boot until windows starts to load thinking maybe the prompt was just not showing. Did nothing. It does the CPU and memory check, then clears the screen and does the RAID scanning thing, then goes on to attempt to boot windows without any prompt to enter RAID config util.

Thread Information