Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this, GA-X58A0UDR3 Rev 2 build problem, BOOTMGR MISSING error

Default New to this, GA-X58A-UDR3 Rev 2 build problem, BOOTMGR MISSING error

For the first time since '05 I'm trying to build a system. All of my experience dates back to the Win98 days.

Case:XION Predator Gaming Series AXP 970-001BK
    Power Supply: Seasonic X650 Gold 80+ Gold rated
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2, BIOS version FA
    Processor: Intel Core i7 950
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 1366
    Memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 7-8-7-24
    Boot/working drive:Western Digital WD1001FALS SATA2
    Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK
    Video card: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5
    Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I assembled the hardware and booted into the BIOS. There I set the clock and turned on XMP and AHCI but no other changes. After saving changes and exiting BIOS setup the machine restarted. I inserted the Win7 64bit DVD and hit reset. The machine booted on the DVD and started the Win7 installer. After a while a screen came up where I selected Custom Install for a clean install. I selected NEW as the drive type. It seemed to create two partitions, one that was fairly small with system files, and the remainder as one large 900+ MB. The installer rebooted the machine and it came up through POST ok, then I got some sort of error in red letters/numbers in a white rectangle, hexadecimal it looked like. I reset the machine and got a BOOTMGR MISSING error. Now, no matter what I do, I only get that error.

I've researched this error here and on Google for several days now. Here's where I'm at:

1. Set boot order in BIOS to CDROM first, then HD. Still get BOOTMGR MISSING error.
    2. Made sure SATA cables are connected with HD on SATA0 and DVD on SATA1.
    3. Switched the SATA cables to different ports
    4. Tried different SATA cables, both data and power
    5. Hit F12 and manually selected CD to boot from. Here's the only time I get a slightly different result. I get the prompt "Hit any key to boot from CD". However, whether I hit a key or not I still wind up at the BOOTMGR MISSING error.
    6. Physically disconnect the HD. Now it will boot up to the installer on the DVD, but no HD makes that sort of useless.
    7. Pull two of the three RAM modules, try single modules one at a time, swap modules between slots.
    8. No errors on POST, no beeps at all (speaker is plugged in).
    9. Listening to the HD, it sounds like it's spinning up and initializing ok. HD activity light blinks.
    10. I tried setting BIOS to failsafe, this disabled my USB keyboard and mouse. Pulling the CMOS battery for a while reset that and restored keyboard functionality.
    11. I've tried it with AHCI disabled and with XMP off. Nothing I do in the BIOS affects the outcome.

Other notes: With XMP on I get a Green and Yellow on the CPU voltage LEDs. With it off the memory sets to 8-8-8-24. With it enabled memory in the BIOS is set at 7-8-7-24, matching the specs of the memory modules. CPU temp hovers in the low to mid-30's.

I'm not overclocking anything at all. My goal is an extremely stable and reliable system

At this point I'm out of ideas. I'm hesitant to start buying parts to throw at it as I don't have a lot of cash left; I've been saving for this build for over a year now. I have the resources to burn CDs (but not DVDs) and can download from regular sites (but not torrents). My guess is that something hosed the partition(s) on the drive, and the motherboard's ignoring the boot order is a glitch in the motherboard.

My knowledge is w-a-a-a-a-y out of date, so it's probably a bad idea to assume I know something. :)

I'd like to spend a few more days on it before I start sending stuff back for a refund.

Thanks!
    Last edited by FrugalGuy; 12-15-2010 at 04:30 AM.

Default Re: New to this, GA-X58A0UDR3 Rev 2 build problem, BOOTMGR MISSING error

look in bios and disable native sata port 0-3,disable all floppy drives and drive A from bios and boot order/list,even if you dont have a floppy drive installed, then try
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: New to this, GA-X58A0UDR3 Rev 2 build problem, BOOTMGR MISSING error

No change. The native sata port 0-3 option was already disabled. I tried it with that enabled, disabled, no change. I set all three boot devices as CD-ROM under Advanced BIOS Features. I set USB devices first and HD second in the Hard Disk Boot Priority under Advanced BIOS Features. I've tried it with Quick Boot on and off. HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability enabled and disabled. I even tried bumping the HDD Delay to 15 seconds. I've tried it with ICH SATA Control Mode set to IDE, to RAID(XHD), and AHCI.

If I disconnect the HD then the Win7 DVD boots into the installer. There's a repair option that I tried, and under that is a memory diagnostic. However, the diagnostic fails to run because it wants to see a hard drive.

I'm getting tempted to try a hot SATA connection after booting on the Win DVD with no HD connected, basically leaving the power connected but the data cable undone, booting on the Windows DVD, then plugging the cable in while the drive and system are powered up.

One small note: I do get the message to "press any key to boot from cd" with the incrementing periods. When I push a key the periods continue incrementing before it does the BOOTMGR MISSING error. I wonder if the USB keyboard is not being recognized during that time? Is there a way to make this thing just boot from the DVD period?

you said you allready installed win7? if so you need to put the os hdd first in the boot order,and you said you made two hdd partitions,at the splash screen when you press f12 and select boot from hdd does it show the hard drive or does it show the two hard drive partitions?

do you have usb keyboard enabled in the bios?
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Default Re: New to this, GA-X58A-UDR3 Rev 2 build problem, BOOTMGR MISSING error

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalGuy View Post
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2, BIOS version FA
    You have a really old BIOS. It sure would not hurt to update that. Latest on Gigabyte is FE1, but I would at least go to FB:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

Otherwise it sounds like your Windows install did not finish. One of the last steps is to install the bootmgr. BTW, the default in FA is to disable the USB keyboard, so you need to manually enable it or upgrade your BIOS.

Some success this morning. I brought in my XP PRO SP3 install disk and the system booted off that no problem. It did see my keypress after prompting me to press any key to boot from the CD. Apparently the Win7 DVD bootloader will absolutely refuse to run if there's any trace of anything on the HD. The fact that my BIOS version apparently will not recognize a USB keyboard under certain circumstances means the system couldn't see me hitting any key when prompting me if I wanted to boot off the CD. It could see the keyboard during POST and in the BIOS, just not when the bootloader for Win7 was running. The bootloader is apparently what generates that particular prompt.

After booting off the XP disk I got into the repair console and checked the HD with diskpart, found two partitions C: and D:. C: was about 100MB and D: was the remainder of the 1TB drive space. I deleted both partitions, then created one new partition. Afterwards I exited diskpart and ran format c: /fs:ntfs to format the drive with NTFS; it's formatting away quite happily right now, showing 7% done in 10 minutes or so. After the drive is formatted I'll try installing Win7. If that still won't go then I'll install XP and then try to do the Win7 as an upgrade.

Yes, the Win7 install failed after creating the partition(s), that's what got me stuck in this frakking BOOTMGR MISSING loop. Grrr...
    Last edited by FrugalGuy; 12-15-2010 at 11:11 PM.

you could have run chkdisk on theat partition or hdd that was causing problems,maybe it would have found errors and fixed them but nvm,when you install windows 7 this time,makesure you disable native sata port 0-3 and any floppy drives and drive a from the bios
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

So after 4 hours of formatting using the repair console on the XP Pro bootup disk it completed, with no errors. So I rebooted with the XP Pro disk in the DVD drive and hit a key to boot from the CD. (Yes, it turned out that enabling legacy USB keyboard allowed me to do that, though I still for the life of me can't figure out what the point of setting boot order in the BIOS is if the CD will ignore that anyway.) The installer came up but told me that I needed to format the drive I just formatted. Hmmm... So I did.

Two and a half hours later that second format completes and the installer starts copying over files. After a while, during which I can hear both the HD and CD drive reading and writing the installer reaches a stage where it reboots. Upon reboot it can't find the drive. I can change to a C: prompt but if I DIR it it comes back error. I booted back into the repair console and looked at the partition, it sees it. I try to delete it and it says it has system files in it. I tell it to do a quick format (All NTFS, BTW) anyway, and it errors out saying it can't do it.

At this point I'm taking a guess that the drive is bad. I have no way to test it, this is the only SATA machine I have access to. I think I'm going to just send it back to newegg for a refund (I have to pay $10 shipping) and buy a drive locally.

If it turns out it's not the drive I'm going to RMA the whole lot and buy that ibuypower setup. Won't have it until mid-January, but at least I'll have it.

could be faulty hdd,it shouldnt give you this much hassle its straight forward to install the os

i can recommend the samsung f3 1tb drives,ive had no issues with any samsung drive on my mb
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

I got a Ubuntu boot CD from a friend and am using its memory test utility. So far its on the second pass with no errors. The hard drive is at a friend's, he formatted it NTFS but when he went to look at the drive afterwards it errored out. He then formatted it on his MAC using FAT (NTFC wouldn't work) and started DOS CHKDSK on it this morning before heading to work. His opinion matches mine, the disk is semi-DOA. It'll accept partition commands and you can write to the partition, but you can't read anything and it can't be made bootable. I'll be buying a new drive locally this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information