Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte-EX58-Extreme Boot Error

Default Re: Gigabyte-EX58-Extreme Boot Error

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    yes 3 years from date of purchase,rma roughly two to three weeks but depends on the repair and distance i suppose,i know i waited just over to weeks to get the mb back
    I guess I'll just ask my relatives to bring it back to Hong Kong and hopefully get it fixed. And I'll also try to grab another PSU and see if its associated with that. But does it matter if I get a PSU with a different output? Anyways, thanks so much for spending time on my thread wazza300, I really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by susuchai; 12-20-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Default Re: Gigabyte-EX58-Extreme Boot Loop

Quote Originally Posted by susuchai View Post
    When I try to boot my computer again, it just turns on for one second, then it turns off, then it loops over and over again. (sidenote: it doesn't even give me a bios booting screen whatsoever; now it's just blank screen, and the computer turns on and off repeatedly)
    I've got the exact same motherboard with nearly the same problem although I had no errors previous to the fault. I'm upgrading my system from a i7 920 to a i7 960 and removed SLI GTX 260's and added an EVGA 580 and when I tried to turn on my new system it shutdown after a second or two and then starts up after a few seconds in a continuous loop. I tried resetting bios checked the CPU in another system (works) etc. Used an 1mb pci video card, one memory modual etc.
    I also notice that if I leave the 8pin CPU power lead off the motherboard it doesn't shut down immediately either.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I also notice that if I leave the 8pin CPU power lead off the motherboard it doesn't shut down immediately either.
    You must provide power to the 8-pin connector for your motherboard to boot.
    No power, no boot.

Make sure that you have the correct bios installed to support your new i7 960 before you install your new cpu. It's usually best to use the newest bios version when you flash your bios using Qflash.
    Never use @BIOS to flash your bios.
    Many boards have been bricked by using @BIOS!!
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You must provide power to the 8-pin connector for your motherboard to boot.
    No power, no boot.
    Yes I understand this but as I am having nearly identical problems as the OP and I read in Post #9 where he stated the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by susuchai View Post
    The main thing I discovered is that when I detach the ATX 8-pin power plug near the CPU, it won't power off after a second.
    I thought I would see if it broke my 1 second reboot as well - which it did.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Make sure that you have the correct bios installed to support your new i7 960 before you install your new cpu. It's usually best to use the newest bios version when you flash your bios using Qflash.
    Never use @BIOS to flash your bios.
    Many boards have been bricked by using @BIOS!!
    I have to admit that I didn't check the bios version for some time before the upgrade which was an oversight on my behalf. I doubt it has any effect on this problem as even putting the i7 920 back in has made no difference to the problem and the i7 960 was around for some time now. The board was purchased in July 2009 and I have my receipt so I'm hoping to get it replaced if its faulty. Yesterday I rang the shop it was purchased at but they claim to only be involved for the first 12 months and said I need to deal with Gigabyte direct - which I am in the process of.
    I've lodged an inquiry regarding my problem with Gigabyte's tech department.

Hi again,

my computer still doesn't boot properly after replacing my PSU. Now I believe my problem is more associated with the CPU or the motherboard. I kinda became desperate and tried booting the motherboard only (even without the CPU + CPU fan). Turns out that it still gave me the same problem (no beep; blinking overvoltage NB and SB LEDs; no response on debugging LED number panel; reboot after 1-2 seconds and loop). So should I conclude that it's actually the motherboard which is giving me these problem or the CPU?..

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The board MUST have CPU and memory installed (White slots) to boot.

Can you post some images of your CPU socket?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    The board MUST have CPU and memory installed (White slots) to boot.

Can you post some images of your CPU socket?
    I was trying to diagnose the problem by narrowing down to either the CPU or the MB, so I didn't know that a CPU and memory were the requirements of booting properly. But like if booting only the board gave me the same debugging LED signals, wouldn't that indicate it's a problem directly associated with the MB? (correct me if I'm wrong, cuz I'm not really a comp expert. That's just what my intuition tells me.)

As for pictures, I'll try grabbing my friends phone and take pictures of it. The CPU socket, however, looks pretty clean to me without any indications of being burnt.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You will obviously need a video card installed to boot.
    Some boot problems with a new system are caused by bent cpu socket pins.
    If you're posting cpu socket pictures, they need to be high resolution close up photos using MACRO mode without using a flash.
    Finding bent pins can be very difficult. Lsdme is great at finding bent pins.
    To get an idea of what bent pins look like, search the forum and/or the web for very high resolution photos.
    A case speaker hooked up to your mobo will also help diagnose problems based on beep error codes.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Just a wrap-up on what my situation and what I've done so far.

Situation:
    1, Booted 21 month old computer and got the message of "WARNING: MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR...".
    2, Computer crashed while loading Windows and cannot boot after that.
    3, Attempt on booting only spins fans, gives LED signals, and reboots every 2 seconds. No beeps + blank screen. LED number 88 all the time.

Specs (major ones):
    Gigabyte-EX58-Extreme Motherboard
    i7 920
    Aeneon xTune 6gb RAM
    ATI 4870x2 GPU (Dual GPU on 1 card)
    Corsair HX750W

What I've attempted doing so far:
    1, Clearing CMOs by removing battery --> didn't help, same rebooting problem
    2, Clearing CMOs by using jumpers --> didn't help, same rebooting problem
    3, Booting computer with minimal settings (CPU + CPU Fan + 1 stick of ram + video card) on cardboard -- didn't help, same rebooting problem
    4, Booting computer with only CPU + CPU Fan + 1 stick of ram --> NO BEEP (supposed to beep if it doesn't detect video card) + same rebooting problem
    5, Replaced PSU with a brand new one --> didn't help, same rebooting problem
    6, Manually replacing main BIOs with secondary BIOs using lsdmeasap's method in another thread (holding case power button and turning backswitch of PSU) --> didn't help, same rebooting problem
    7, Checked CPU socket for bent pins --> cannot find any personally, will upload pictures later

I actually searched the forum and saw quite a number of people who had the same situation. I tried every single suggestions that you guys suggested to them in those thread and none of them worked. The only thing I haven't tried is lsdmeasap's de-bricking motherboard method using a jumper tap on the main BIOs chip. I will also upload the CPU socket pictures asap, but I personally do not see any bent pins upon inspection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information