Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ga-ep45-ud3r power cycles at random times

Default ga-ep45-ud3r power cycles at random times

Hi, I hate to put up this question, but I have been searching for an answer for about an hour here and have not found one so here goes.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have five GA-EP45-UD3R systems and every once in a while, one of them will experiencing random power-cycling at power up. It can run fine for month’s \ week’s \ or days and then out of nowhere do this.<o:p></o:p>
    The solution is to shut it down, unplug the AC cord and wait a min to two, plug it back in and all is fine. <o:p></o:p>
    The cycling is similar to what a MB does when you first turn on a new build and it is searching for the correct Memory configs. No beeps, about 2secs on and 2secs off. Nothing on the screen - just blank. But it never ends until you pull the AC cord.<o:p></o:p>
    There are no other problems with these systems and they run solid any other time. I have read everything from people trying Power Supplies, Different RAM, Different RAM settings, 2 vs 4 Ram Sticks, Video Cards..... on and on. Some say it is a known GB problem and switch MB and everything is fine. But in general, I don't think a single thread I have read really resolves the problem with any certainty. <o:p></o:p>
    All are running Duo Core E8400 CPU
    8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - Corsair Dominator or Patriot
    XFX - 9800GTX+ Video
    Seagate 1TB HD
    650w - 730w PS's

Basically all set to optimum settings. There is no one thing that points to a particular component. Meaning it is not the ones with Patriot Memory or the ones with the 650w PS. It really seems like a BIOS flaw that once in a while it gets confused and just can't come back to life with out a Hard Power recycle.

So is anyone aware of a particular thread that addresses a solution to this that is creditable?
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by tata455; 12-18-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Default Re: ga-ep45-ud3r power cycles at random times

Power supply could be starting to give up the ghost. I had a 650 that was the culprit after one of my machines started to do the same thing. Try swapping that PSU into one of your other rigs and see if the problem replicates itself on the other machine. Just an idea ;-P

Chike is offline Senior Member

This phenomena typically happen (for my board) when the system was not shut down completely, and forced shut down by power outage or the power button after loading windows or during the process of starting windows, before that I can force shutdown with no issue.

BTW you are lucky to have 8GB running with no need for tweaks, are they all runnung actually at 1066?

Thanks for the PS suggestion, but I have tried that already with no impact. I agree it could be related to a Forced or Un-Natural shut down. As my kids are using them, I don't always know the details preceding the event. But I guess I don't understand why it happens even after that.

In my logic, only the BIOS or the PS can be forcing this. BIOS because it is lost and confused or cannot find the last memory config. The PS if it is experiencing an abnormally high draw at initial power up and because it cannot handle the draw, it shuts down. Those are the only two things I can think of that make sense.

But for this problem, nothing seems to make sense. One thing I read talks about USB devices being the root cause of this. That makes some limited sense to me too. But for me, the real question is where is GByte on a way to determine what is causing this. It cost a lot of money just throwing hardware at it. Especially for something that only happens once in a while at random. This problem seems to go back years if you search it and seems to be with GByte MB more than any other. I was hoping that something specific had been found after years of people chasing this issue. hmmmm! Just live with it is what it is looking like. But that doesn't speak well for GByte.

As for my memory - yes all at 1066. Why do you ask? Are people having a lot of issues with 8GB memory on the board? Are there some good threads to read on that subject you could point me too? What are the issues? Thanks to all for reading and trying to help.

My theory is that in the first moments after the pc is turned on, there are many factors that come into play and interfere, the bios initiates timings voltages and at some point there is this stalling that occurs and the boot fails. Whether it is the usb init or something else it doesn't matter, too complicated. In my latest encounters with this phenomena the culprit was the power outlet not grounded properly, every metal parts even the cpu cooler had 220V flowing. The first was with P31, that was trying to set timings too agressive that only hapenned each morning the chipset being cool, but i believe this can't possibly be happening on P45.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Many P35/P45 systems can't run 8GB of memory at the memory's maximum rated speeds, and the memory needs to be underclocked somewhat, often around 10% lower than the rated speed.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-solution.html, posts 13 and 17 - 20 offer a possible work around for your random boot loops.

By using "optimum" settings, do you mean that you loaded Optimized Bios defaults before you made any bios adjustments?
    Are you using cheap, no-name power supplies? Top tier units?
    Are all of your systems using the latest bios?
    Are you mixing memory brands in any of your systems?
    Do all of your systems have nearly identical bios settings?
    Are any of your systems hooked to UPS setups?
    Are any systems using usb devices that remain lighted when the system is powered off.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post295784 steps 1 - 4 will provide information that might help us better diagnose the problem.
    Last edited by profJim; 12-21-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information