Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Smart Fan control stop CPU Fan at Low Temp or IDLE?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can Smart Fan control stop CPU Fan at Low Temp or IDLE?

You haven't said if you've actually opened the case and looked at the fan in question. This is the most logical thing to do surely? Then you can establish if the fan is really stationary. If it isn't stopped when the RPM readout displays 0 then you can simply ignore it.

Any issues a fan being controlled by PWM will have are not due to low voltage. a PWM controlled fan receives pulses of full 12V. Also a 120mm fan absolutly will not stop at just under 7V regardless of brand. Every 120mm fan you will ever encounter will safely run when severely undervolted, even down to 5V which is the lowest I'd recommend going. There IS a minimum voltage required by a fan for it to initially start to spin, and this WILL vary depending on the model of fan. Conversely, even though a fan will refuse to start on for example, 3.3V, after initially being spun up on a higher voltage it may be then possible to drop voltage below 3.3V and still have the fan spin.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

You can use voltage as the 2nd pin on the CPU header is a +12v pin allowing the voltage to vary according to temps. In short it'll act like a PWM signal. I'm sure someone will clean up what I've said, but that's basically how "smart fan" works. And for what it's worth, that's exactly how my 3-pin Noctua fan is working on that header.

Good luck.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
    6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
    ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
    Antec Signature SG-850 PS
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

I can't reaLly see the fan on the V8 cooler as it is between the fins. It does sound like it is spinning. I did crank it to full speed by disabling SmartFan in EasyTune6 and I can hear it spin without stopping, even though software show it show to 198 rpms. At full speed it runs 2000rpms.

It can be hard to tell at low RPM, especially if the fan s in the middle of the heat sink. Using something soft, such as a twisted piece of kitchen roll/loo paper, you can push it through the fins into the fan. Something so soft won't damage it, but it will give you tactile feedback on if the fan was spinning.

Note that at very low RPM, stopping a fan CAN mean it won't restart, but usually if PWM is used it will, it's usually voltage controlled ones that will stay stopped (due to a lower than start up voltage being applied, as I mentioned).

If it was spinning then you can safely say PWM is doing its job. However you can try voltage control if you wish, it's up to you of course.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Default SMartFan Speed Issue and EasyTune6 Alarms. Need help please.

I may have found issue. EasyTune6 was set to change SmartFan speed to 28% at low CPU temps. 28% of 2000 RPMs is below the fan specs of 800 - 1800 RPMS as that would be 504 RPMs. I think that may have caused RPM issue. I have set it to a low of 40% which is over 800 RPMs which seems stable so far. We will see what happens.

My only issue now is EasyTune6 ALarm buzzer wont stop even though no thresholds are in alarm status. weird as BIOS alarms are fine as well. I just disabled the buzzer and it works. WOnder why the buzzer wont stop when enabled? All bars are in BLUE color and within ranges. Any ideas?

Nice to see you found the cause!

You can disable Easytune from running at startup if you want, if you need to know how let me know.

Not sure on the buzzer, never have noticed it had one or used it? Are you using the latest BIOS and latest Easytune version?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You can disable Easytune from running at startup if you want, if you need to know how let me know.
    Mine sharing? I could use the info as well.

I would prefer to use it solely as a monitoring program as opposed to it starting up and doing something different than what I have set in the BIOS.

Thanks
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Well there are many ways to disable a program from startup, if you have spybot search and destroy installed you can do it from there in advanced menu, then tools, then system startup and uncheck EasyTuneVI and ET6Call if you see it.

Same applies to this tool (Startup CPL), which is what I mainly use and suggest for others to use when disabling startup items. This will install into your control panel (32bit items if Vista)
    http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip

In this, same as with the spybot comments, find and uncheck or delete if you want, EasyTuneVI and or ET6Call.

You can also right click the icon in the toolbar when it's running at uncheck run at next startup, but you will still also need to do one of these other options to disable the service from starting at startup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well there are many ways to disable a program from startup, if you have spybot search and destroy installed you can do it from there in advanced menu, then tools, then system startup and uncheck EasyTuneVI and ET6Call if you see it.

Same applies to this tool (Startup CPL), which is what I mainly use and suggest for others to use when disabling startup items. This will install into your control panel (32bit items if Vista)
    http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip

In this, same as with the spybot comments, find and uncheck or delete if you want, EasyTuneVI and or ET6Call.

You can also right click the icon in the toolbar when it's running at uncheck run at next startup, but you will still also need to do one of these other options to disable the service from starting at startup as well.
    Yeah, I know there are other ways to stop a program from starting up, I just wanted to know if EasyTune itself had a way to do it, you confirmed it doesn't.

BTW I don't use spybot, or third party programs to stop & start other programs. That's me. And yes I know spybot is an antispyware program.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure the OP could use it.

Peace.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast