Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing AHCI option rom?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Removing AHCI option rom?

Haha, well it doesn't work in P55

And yes, I can now answer your original question. You can remove the ROM if you want!

Flash went fine, I'm in windows now from the modified BIOS, but the AHCI ROM fails to load. I use RAID mode with a single SSD, so the AHCI ROM screen was skipped and just the RAID screen showed, then windows.

I did try AHCI mode, and it doesn't work. Well at least disks are not visible in the BIOS disk priority screen and since no AHCI ROM Screen loaded I assumed it would be a waste of time trying to load windows that way.

But yes, if you want to remove the ROM you can! Just use single non-member RAID mode for AHCI instead, that's how I always run anyway.

You only save 2-3 seconds off the boot though, unless you have disks that are really slow at detecting?

Should I try X58 also, I don't think the AHCI rom matter between chipsets, but I suppose it probably does since the orig P55 is named PCH and X58 is named ICH :)

What chipset were those BIOSes originally intended for anyway?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-27-2010 at 06:16 PM.

I'm not sure of all the chipsets; my Acer laptop with Insyde BIOS originally had 1.20E-19, and that has an Intel GS45 Express Chipset.

The chipset doesn't matter though; what's happening is that code in the AHCI ROM is causing an exception when it reads unexpected values in the hard drive's partition table. 1.20e-24 seems to always calculate values, even though it does try to read from the partition table. To see buggy behavior, you need to use a version of the AHCI ROM prior to -24.

Kopierkatze: Did you have luck with your error code 23 by placing 0xFE 0xFF in 0x1C3 and 0x1C4, respectively?

Well I mean what chipset was the BIOSes the OP originally intended for, just asking so I could know if it should work or not in P55 or X58 - Aside from failing due to being an Insyde file because the contents look the same as normal 1.20E files, so I think it should work on the right chipset.

Yeah, I'm still on the X58. If it'd work to use the 1.20E-24, that'd be useful.
    Knowing that nothing will go horrifically wrong from having the wrong option rom is comforting - I wonder if Win7 would still scan the AHCI even if there's no option rom to fill the ACPI tables.
    Using the RAID mode is also a nice workaround for the #23 problem.. I wasn't sure if that still resulted in AHCI performance once it got to the OS?

Ya RAID is the same as AHCI when using single drives, so you'd be fine using that if you need to.

I'll test on X58 later today if I get time and see how it goes.

As for windows scanning the AHCI I don't think it would happen, I didn't try by it looked like booting to windows wouldn't have worked since the AHCI ROM failed the drives weren't even visible in the BIOS.

LSD: Just wanted to remind you, you can't simply add the AHCI Option ROM, but you'll need to change the PCIR header for the particular vendor/device id of the ICH in question and fix the checksum. I can probably help you modify the 1.20E from your board if you need me to.

I always just add them and have no problem. Did you mean I can't on this one because of where the files came from?

If so, ya please edit the latest one for me for X58 and or P55

As for the 1.20E from my board already, it's the older one and we want to test the newer ones, so I don't think you meant you needed to edit mine did you?

The option ROM is tied to a vendor/device ID pair, so it needs to be changed to support a different chipset, if it's moved to another chipset. If everything's working for you, then not applicable, obviously. ;-)

Yes, of course my original 1.20E works for me as it comes in my BIOS by default. I have not tried the latest one you gave me in X58 yet, but it fails P55.

Could you modify what you are talking about for me, one for P55 and one for X58, using the 2009 version, then I'll try them again.

Also, if you don't mind show me in a PM what you mean and how to do it. Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information